Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Hope on a Rope - J and J needs some support please.

(191 Posts)
lazarusb Wed 02-Jan-13 18:38:32

Hello everyone. J and J has PMed me and asked me to start this thread for her. She is going to try and check in soon. Unfortunately her dh is ill again, I don't know details but she appreciates all messages and support we can give her again. She is so grateful for all the support she received last year and is sorry she didn't make it back onto the thread before it filled up.

So, hope to see all your friendly faces back on here again soon!

No I'm up North JandJ. Actually managing to sleep whilst doing nocturnal dialysis is the key point of course. I think there will be increasing info out there about it though so if I hear anymore on that I'll let you know.

Has dh mentioned his difficulty sleeping to his consultant? There are drugs that can be prescribed that may help, even for things like restless legs which is such an annoying symptom but hardly seems mentioning as it's so 'benign'.

dondon33 Tue 22-Jan-13 19:00:16

Oh *JandJ weird you mention watching Bourne..... I just had a Bourne fest smile, downloaded them all and watched back to back.
Contemplating doing the same with Pirates of the Caribbean as I've not seen them.

Laz Ds's school sounds very sensible. Dd's however, does not. Sounds very much like the School I attended, it was really old and the boiler was forever freezing/packing up in the winter - I was lucky I lived 20 mins walk away but some lived miles from it and they never bothered to call the scholar bus when they sent us home early.

I've got a busy day tomorrow, We are TTC half arsed at the mo but I'm off to see the gynae/obstetrics Dr as well as the GP for a full MOT - the plan is to do it all by the book this time. (says she, mother of 3 who's never TRIED TC before blush) So I'm already taking the right vitamins, healthy diet etc... but gynae will scan me, prod, poke and test me to within an inch of my life smile and hopefully everything is all ok.

lazarusb Tue 22-Jan-13 19:08:53

Dondon Best of luck with all your tests and enjoy TTC. I was a little disappointed that I fell for ds2 so quickly as we missed the fun of TTC and got straight into the morning sickness instead! grin

Dd's school excelled themselves yesterday - they decided not to go in until 11am...which meant she & I had to walk the mile and a half in the snow (and then I had to come home again!). Of course, the school bus wasn't running at time of the day, although it had apparently arrived at a closed school gate at 8.30am...hmm

dondon33 Tue 22-Jan-13 19:34:01

Thanks Lazarus I'm a little bit confused tbh..... My P's aren't exactly regular, nothing drastic usually between 25 and 27 days so I think I'm going to have to have my hormones checked again or chart or something?? smile
I realise I'm completely worrying about nothing at the moment as we've both previously had good results for fertility a little while ago and we're not consciously active on fertile days (Que sera, sera at the moment) Also playing on my mind is my age 35 is the beginning of doom so they'd have you believe

GRR at your Dd's school angry

Homebird8 Wed 23-Jan-13 06:30:21

Goodness, that was a long breakfast!

J&J I think you pretty much had the story of moving to NZ. It was the lifestyle! We visited in 2000 and fell in love with the place. Children stay children for longer, people are more laid back, more straightforward, and the bush countryside and the climate are great. I had the opportunity to restart my career after 9 years at home with the DSs, DH needed a change and a chance to rediscover himself after many years of a crippling work life. We came for 2 or 3 years but now, after 18 months, don't think we'll be leaving. I'm not brave enough to say I've emigrated but more than that, I'm not brave enough to return to the UK and our old 'life'. We miss friends and are a long way from family, but we have great friends here who truly care about us and we about them so we're more than happy.

Good to hear that things are moving along in your family. Glad to hear so little about DH. No news is good news! I think I approve of DD's new boyfriend too. Tell him he's got a mums' fan club! I don't yet know if it gets easier to leave a child like you with DS. All I know is that when mine were small I used to forget I'd got them, and now they are the ripe old ages of 10 and 8 I miss them when I'm away at work. I reckon it just gets harder.

A quick wave to Dondon, Lazarus, Fool, Northern, Skye, Autumn and SW and all the seals who pop up and see us. I feel so blessed to have met you all. J&J, you have no idea what you started. thanks

AutumnDreams Wed 23-Jan-13 11:01:49

J it`s a delight to come here and see you posting. Are you looking after yourself sweetie? Maybe a multi vitamin tablet daily, as much rest as you can get, and of course eat well, even when you perhaps don`t always feel like it. Your H is an absolute star. He`s like one of those little toy thingy`s - Skye did tell me their name, but I`ve forgotten again! - that no matter how many times you pushed it over, it got back up again. Long may it continue.

Dondon, so pleased that things are improving for you too. Now don`t be wearing the poor man out! I hope it all happens for you very soon. I`m sure it will. What is for you, won`t go by you

Laz, what a lot of daft palaver with the schools. Elf and safety huh! Stay safe.

Homebird, what an idyllic picture you paint, and how lovely to be able to give your DC`s that sort of upbringing. It can`t have been an easy decision to make, leaving everything you knew, but what a great one it`s turned out to be.

Much love to Skye, Fool, and all the other posters here on our very special thread.x.

dondon33 Wed 23-Jan-13 11:14:57

Morning all, hope everyone's having a good day.

Hope you're all well J

Big wave back at ya Homebird Your decision to emigrate extended visit was so brave and it's lovely to hear your reasons why, it sounds fab.

Thanks Autumn blush I won't wear him out just yet.
Is it weebles the name you're looking for? Their advertising motto back in the 80's was weebles wobble but they don't fall down very apt I think for J's dh.

lazarusb Fri 25-Jan-13 17:44:00

I used to LOVE weebles - had the playground and everything smile Happy days. Have a good weekend everyone, hope the snow stays away grin

dondon33 Fri 25-Jan-13 19:21:34

He He Laz me too smile
Good news on the gynae front - everything healthy and normal - so I'm happy with that - just waiting for the masses of blood test results to come back now.
Hope you all have great weekend xx

lazarusb Sat 26-Jan-13 10:51:13

Excellent news dondon. I'm sure all the blood tests will come back with the all clear too smile Then you can start exhausting your dh! wink

AutumnDreams Sat 26-Jan-13 11:13:08

Leaving love and warm thoughts for everyone, especially J and H.

Great news dondon. Lets pray that we are soon awaiting our own little "Hope on a Rope" babe, who I will nickname Sparkle.

dondon33 Sat 26-Jan-13 13:42:30

Thanks guys ;)
Aw! I like sparkle and I'm also praying 'it's' gently tucked into my womb sometime soon smile

JackieandJudy Sat 26-Jan-13 19:19:48

Hi all, just checking in - all fine here (fingers crossed). Thanks for good wishes Autumn, fool and Skyeblue, I'm doing good! Good to hear your story Home, thanks for telling. Brave move to make but it does sound idyllic. We had some friends who emigrated out there about eight or nine years ago, and although we've lost touch now (apart from the dreaded Xmas round robin) they loved it and had no intention of ever returning.

Ooh don, good luck - wouldn't it be great if we had an "on thread" baby! Hope you get your blood test results soon and all is good and positive. 35 is no age at all, I was 39 when ds3 was born. And autumn is right - no need for you and dh to worry about names - there's Sparkle, Izzy, Autumn, Sapphire for a girl, and Laz and Don for a boy. Sorted! Did you enjoy your Bourne fest? Coincidentally, we watched the second one on dvd, and hey presto, the third one was on tv the following day.

Snow all gone here now, thankfully. And also thankfully, no school closures. Dh's contact has come up with some ideas for him, so they are meeting this coming week to discuss further. Dh is excited! Dd has new weekend job in a shoe shop, so if she makes it to three months, I can get a discount! She did, however, entice a lady she described as "middle aged" (so probably younger than me) to buy some thigh high boots, so I'm hopeful for her prospects.

Meanwhile, Ds2 is on a mission to demolish the house - he ordered himself a workout bench which he has set up in his room - directly over our room. So other than all the clanking and thudding which regularly reverberates over-head, he has a worrying tendency to drop heavy weights. I swear one of them will crash through the floor and kill me in my bed before long. Best one of you calls the emergency services if I'm not back in the next two weeks!

Keep well and have good weekend all.

dondon33 Sat 26-Jan-13 22:26:50

Great to hear all's well J keep up the good work ;) Fab news about your DH contact. The discount at Dd's workplace sounds fab - ahh shoes smile I'd personally get her up each work day and deliver her there to ensure this happens.
Uh-Oh I'm kinda worried about your Ds2's new mission hmm I think we should arrange a rota to check on you to ensure he hasn't crashed through the floor and accidently injured/killed you smile

Thanks for the good wishes, I know that 35 is still OK and there's women still producing perfectly healthy babies way past that but the DR's and info about that magic or not so if you believe them number is, to be honest, bloody depressing!

Yeah bourne fest was good, I enjoyed them all. Hope you did too.

Take care xx

foolonthehill Sat 26-Jan-13 22:34:30

Hi don when i had my first DC docs were hmm that I was scraping in under their current magic number of 30. By the time I had DC4 at 36 it was up to 35... I suspect in some parts of the world (especially London} they have decided already that 40 is the new 35!

I wish you every blessing and success in becoming a parent (again).

JandJ your family are marvellous...as are you. May you go from strength to strength.

dondon33 Sun 27-Jan-13 13:56:31

Sheesh!! Fool I'm shock at 30 !! Thanks for your kind wishes.

I can understand maybe, if it's the first child - don't they say there's a higher risk over 35 with a first (have no clue what %) more likely to suffer high blood pressure and more likely for c section delivery, there's more but I can't remember exactly. Anyway - yes I get it that my eggs are not as fresh as they were in my 20's so TTC can be problematic for some but I've had no real complications with the others, all natural and healthy shelling peas springs to mind grin so there's no reason I need the voice of doom from Dr's regarding my age.
*forgive me for my mini rant > breathes and feels better <

Hope you all have a good Sunday xx

lazarusb Tue 29-Jan-13 19:18:51

Hey dondon, don't worry, a friend of mine had a gorgeous baby in May - just a week after her 44th birthday. I was told to expect the menopause imminently by my last GP (I was 30!)...I think they just like to be the voice of doom now and again grin Looking forward to our (first?) baby on this thread smile

J and J, glad to see all is good with you. I'm just about to write to some local firms for voluntary work experience in the summer, so best of luck to your dh! Glad to see dd has got herself a useful job...shoes are never wasted! As for ds...have you considered reinforcing his floor for when he becomes a muscle bound hulk?

dondon33 Wed 30-Jan-13 23:32:04

Wow 44! Laz that's fab!
Feeling more positive now that the majority of my tests are back. Just waiting for the last two to come back - Full Hepatitis screening and Toxoplasmosis then it's a full house.
(it's weird here because instead of the results all being computerised, you go collect them yourself on paper to take to your next relevant appt- thus enabling you to play Doctor before you've actually seen one confused )

It looks very much like all is well, especially the hormone ones smile but I did flap when I seen the result for one of the thyroid tests (your results are written then along side is the min/max range levels for what they should be) So I notice that mine is extremely high and start panicking hmm but manage to find out that the actual result is in a different measurement from the range figures.
*Lesson learnt by dondon - it's for the *ACTUAL Dr to interpret NOT you nor Dr Google. blush grin

Hope every ones well x

lazarusb Thu 31-Jan-13 20:13:29

grin We've all done it dondon - dh diagnosed ds with leukaemia a couple of years ago, all because he was tired one weekend and had bruises on his legs - I pointed out he was a 7 year old boy, they're meant to be covered in bruises and yes, even get tired occasionally! Glad all your news is good though x

dondon33 Thu 31-Jan-13 21:53:26

Oh Christ!! Lazarusshock
That beats me so glad I'm not the only numpty not quite sure who I more feel for - your dh or ds.
I have to admit I did grin but I'm very glad all was and is well with your ds.

lazarusb Fri 01-Feb-13 09:29:53

Dh didn't tell ds (thankfully) - he had a cousin who died at 2 and a half, he'd recovered from leukaemia but then had a massive heart attack sad He was one of the babies affected by the hospital which kept children's organs without telling the parents too so dh is ultra sensitive about the disease. However, I sat him down and told him that we'd see the GP if he wanted, to put his mind at rest and we'd look at the worst case scenario ONLY if we were presented with it! He realised that he'd been a bit dramatic (which is very unlike him normally grin).
I banned him from Google when I was diagnosed with OA in my spine...he'd be buying wheelchairs before I knew it! wink

dondon33 Fri 01-Feb-13 20:21:37

Ah Lazarus how sad!
Now I know his reasons for panicking your DH was definitely not a numpty --and I hope he doesn't read your MN--blush (was meant in jest anyway, we ALL panic at some point about our DC's)
I'll bet he's had a sneaky look at your condition, if only to educate himself about it but seeing as though you haven't had a wheelchair delivered, it was probably just a little one smile

I'm at it again confused I got the other two results today and I'm playing 'guess what it means' I think the Hep tests are fine = I'm not reactive! hmm so I'm assuming that means I have no immunity either ??? Which I'm finding strange as I've been immunised against one of them (A I think)
The Toxoplasmosis = I clearly see I don't currently have it but there's a bit of a discrepancy as to whether I've had it before, looks like I've got some level of immunity ??? Who the hell knows! I've got to make an appointment with the GP to decipher them all for me.

Hope everyone is well and hope you all have a great weekend xxx

dondon33 Fri 01-Feb-13 20:23:51

* why are my thingimy doodahs not working?
possibly the fact I've had 2 glasses of wine

dondon33 Fri 01-Feb-13 20:25:06

*Strike throughs! That's what they're called - Sorry for wasting space, I couldn't think of the name earlier blush

lazarusb Sat 02-Feb-13 22:44:40

dondon He CAN be a numpty...and no, he doesn't read MN. He realised afterwards that online diagnosis is not to be recommended! grin Poor so-and-so has to dress me now and again...I think he'd enjoy it if I was a bit more dependent on him full-time! (he doesn't think I'm needy enough!).

Don't worry about your tests, I'm sure your GP will be able to explain them and put your mind at rest. Maybe you should start getting on with the fun stuff...this thread could do with a baby on it! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now