Archers - It's time to put it down like a TB riddled badger

(217 Posts)
NigellaTufnel Thu 01-Nov-12 19:39:21

I have been a devoted listener for a fair few years. I have cried, cheered, and giggled through various ups and downs.
But I am now finding it so depressing. With the current episodic storylines - which are all quite unpleasant - you no longer get that lovely feeling that you are eavesdropping on a community that you would quite like to live in.
It just feels a bit nasty. It also feels a bit like Eastenders.

It feels ridiculous to be sad, but the good people of Ambridge have been my companions all the way through having very young children. They felt like friends when I hadn't had. Grown up conversation all day.

Hopefully this will pass and I can come back when they' ve finished mucking it up.

hanahsaunt Wed 21-Nov-12 13:40:06

Where is Helen?

ArtexMonkey Wed 21-Nov-12 13:52:49

Brenda used to be strong and clever and independent. She chucked in a career in media to be Matt's dogsbody and listen to tom whang on about ready meals. When she was working in Birmingham (briefly) they had her doing the ironing and stocking the freezer at the weekends.

Poor old Brenda.

Abra1d Wed 21-Nov-12 14:28:07

One of these days Brenda is going to stuff a Tom Archer sausage down Tom Archer's throat. It won't be pretty.

christmaseveeve Wed 21-Nov-12 15:11:01

Lillian said bastard!

PseudoBadger Wed 21-Nov-12 15:19:59

Yes Brenda was an early victim of the writers.
The Lillian of a few years ago would have said bastard and kicked him out months ago

GrimmaTheNome Wed 21-Nov-12 19:23:29

>That'll be the end of her spirit
Tonight she sounded like someone who knew what she wanted and was going to get it!

PseudoBadger Wed 21-Nov-12 20:32:38

I'll listen on my commute in the morning smile

GrendelsMum Wed 21-Nov-12 21:09:29

I think Pat's still pretty strong, and so is Jolene, despite her having gone a bit weird over Kenton. And so is Caroline although she's not spoken for months...

But for God's sake Brenda, tell Tom where to get off!

Do you know the worst thing, fellow Archers addicts? My DH says the character he is most like is Tom.

DorsetKnob Wed 21-Nov-12 21:11:01

Where is Pat, Shula etc

DorsetKnob Wed 21-Nov-12 21:11:54

The Vicar and Usha?

DorsetKnob Wed 21-Nov-12 21:12:21

And is the teacher going to become Lizzies love interest?

PseudoBadger Wed 21-Nov-12 21:14:36

He's going out with Kirsty Dorset!

DorsetKnob Wed 21-Nov-12 21:15:26

Thank you for that update.

GrendelsMum Wed 21-Nov-12 21:20:28

DH and I reckon that Lizzie's going to steal Ifti [sp ???] from Kirsty.

PseudoBadger Wed 21-Nov-12 21:20:51

Sorry the short answer to the rest of your questions is that the script writers have forgotten about them until they are required for the next big thing...

GrendelsMum Wed 21-Nov-12 21:27:34

No, Shula spoke on Friday - she's spent the last few months planning Daniel's 18th and will spend the next few months getting over it.

Pat, the Vicar and Usha have all joined a Trappist order.

ppeatfruit Thu 22-Nov-12 08:51:50

And hannahsaunt Hellinn and baby are in the soap cupboard grin

yes grendelsmum I had the same thought about Lizzie and Ifti. funny how he obviously didn't have a life before turning in Ambridge.

ppeatfruit Thu 22-Nov-12 08:53:13

I meant 'turning up in Amb.' of course.

ArtexMonkey Thu 22-Nov-12 09:40:29

I thought that about ifti and lizzie as well! Poor old Kirsty.

ArtexMonkey Thu 22-Nov-12 09:49:02

...But the sws really hate anyone who's not an archer. That's why Tom gets to swan around wifeworking Brenda to death, Kenton gets to walk into any job he fancies, and Emmur is reduced to eating in soup kitchens while HER OWN DAD employs Josh to clean dead Beddy's chickens out at £30 a week so he can buy more DVDs and fizzy pop.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 22-Nov-12 09:51:15

How old do we think Ifti is?
Is Neil paying Josh? Thought that was Mike Tucker paying Josh?
<addled brain>

GrendelsMum Thu 22-Nov-12 10:23:05

Ifti is a gorgeous hunk of a 30 year old, I reckon. So yes, probably a bit too young for Lizzie.

Maybe Emma could clean the chickens out for £30 a week?

abitcoldupnorth Thu 22-Nov-12 10:26:26

No, she'll only catch bird flu grin

GrimmaTheNome Thu 22-Nov-12 10:27:35

Mike was giving Jamie, Kathy's boy some tree work. Don't think he employs all the youth of Ambridge

GrimmaTheNome Thu 22-Nov-12 10:29:36

They've probably been holding the Vicar back for christmas...though hopefully they'll be doing some quick scriptwriting to get him to say something on the topical issue of women bishops or lack thereof. Him and shula and peggy - now that is a very ambridge concern, if they don't touch on it the SWs have definitely lost the plot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now