Archers - It's time to put it down like a TB riddled badger

(217 Posts)
NigellaTufnel Thu 01-Nov-12 19:39:21

I have been a devoted listener for a fair few years. I have cried, cheered, and giggled through various ups and downs.
But I am now finding it so depressing. With the current episodic storylines - which are all quite unpleasant - you no longer get that lovely feeling that you are eavesdropping on a community that you would quite like to live in.
It just feels a bit nasty. It also feels a bit like Eastenders.

It feels ridiculous to be sad, but the good people of Ambridge have been my companions all the way through having very young children. They felt like friends when I hadn't had. Grown up conversation all day.

Hopefully this will pass and I can come back when they' ve finished mucking it up.

PseudoBadger Thu 08-Nov-12 12:51:38

Emma used to be played by Felicity Jones, who now does film and tv stuff. She's now played by Emerald O'Hanrahan, who I think sounds more like Susan, but I did prefer Felicity's voice.

ppeatfruit Thu 08-Nov-12 12:59:43

I don't know; I like the way she emphasises the end of her words like her telling off poor Ed for being 'difficulT' about her food.grin

Pancakeflipper Thu 08-Nov-12 13:00:56

When was Emma replaced?
I am actually feeling sorry for Emma a little at the moment.

ppeatfruit Thu 08-Nov-12 13:06:58

Yes but she's trying to COMPETE with Will about treating George fgs What's that about ?

PseudoBadger Thu 08-Nov-12 13:14:34

In 2009 I think.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 12-Nov-12 20:34:09

I think Bren ' n' Kirsty both do a lot of Ad voiceover work, I'm always hearing them on "radio small print" etc

GrimmaTheNome Mon 12-Nov-12 20:41:57

I seem to remember the last Clarrie had a noticeably different accent to the one before.

I still miss Walter Gabriel grin

WTF are they going to do for proper old village codgers when Joe (who is ancient) finally takes his last ride with Bartleby?

R4 Tue 13-Nov-12 19:44:35

So 'everybody' was there for Peggy's birthday lunch. Apart from Tony, Pat, Hellin, the Magical Baby, Adam, Alice, Chris, Phoebe. No skype call from Debbie nor Kate et al. No mention of Jack.
OK, so Phoebe will be at school but do you think that the actors aren't on this six week rota the rest were all busy.hmm

GrendelsMum Wed 14-Nov-12 19:59:27

No, Adam was there, he just wasn't speaking that day.

And hopefully Alice and Chris were working.

PseudoBadger Wed 14-Nov-12 20:13:36

And Tony, Pat and Helen were off seeing Rich. Jack thought her birthday was tomorrow.

See - we can write the Archers!

ppeatfruit Sat 17-Nov-12 14:54:12

Well I knew that Susan and Neil would come to Emmur and Ed's rescue what took them so long???

Oh very funny the bit where darling broken legged James mentioned to Brian at Peggy's 'do' that price of milk is likely to go down with the ill health|lactose intolerance of the Chinese hehehe!! I LIKE him now!

PseudoBadger Sat 17-Nov-12 15:28:08

Did anyone think that a future Ambridge Extra storyline has been set up for Daniel and Jamie in NYC?

ppeatfruit Sat 17-Nov-12 15:42:22

Is Ambex on ATM Psuedo? I know I posted the Emmur bit twice BTW I wasn't sure where to put it.

I don't think TA will be put down yet nigella Tufnel,I still listen as do a lot of us from the complaints!

PseudoBadger Mon 19-Nov-12 16:23:23

Sorry didn't see this - dont think it's on now, no.

ppeatfruit Tue 20-Nov-12 08:54:09

Noticed the conversation between the lads at Daniel's 18th about NYC I guess you're right!

BeatTheClock Tue 20-Nov-12 09:01:22

I've drifted away from it too. I dip in and out but I haven't listened properly for about 2 yrs.

I find all the younger characters a bit dull tbh and their stories seem to take up quite a bit of airtime now. I'm just not that interested in who is going out with who. Its all a bit Hollyoaks.

Abra1d Tue 20-Nov-12 09:10:55

Don't worry! Polly Toynbee is here to help. With her long experience in writing soaps she has the answer to The Archers:

More about benefits!
www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/nov/12/soap-operas-wash-hands-politics#start-of-comments

I heard her talking about this on the radio and thought it was a wind-up, but no she is serious:it was in The Guardian (so it must obviously be drearily serious).

ppeatfruit Tue 20-Nov-12 09:26:25

Abraid I posted about that very subject under a different thread about politics. saying 'leave T.A. alone,it's bad enough without effing politics.'

Abra1d Tue 20-Nov-12 09:46:03

ppeatfruit, smile

ppeatfruit Wed 21-Nov-12 12:41:47

I must admit to a slight misting up at Fallon FINALLY saying yes to a date with Rhys grin

PseudoBadger Wed 21-Nov-12 12:51:26

That'll be the end of her spirit <snore>

ArtexMonkey Wed 21-Nov-12 13:04:16

Oh I love Rhys and Fallon, and I was HOOTING at the sausage king and Brenda going on about Misery to James and Leonie.

ppeatfruit Wed 21-Nov-12 13:13:36

oh badger I don't reckon she'll let a mere man repress her; if he did try it'd be curtains fairly soon IMO grin

PseudoBadger Wed 21-Nov-12 13:22:59

Well look at Lillian and what a doormat the SWs have turned her into. They have no idea how to write strong women!

Abra1d Wed 21-Nov-12 13:30:32

No, they really struggle with strong women. Debbie used to be lovely and also strong. Now she's just a bit cold and pro unpleasant-sounding factory farming. Jill is strong but nice, but hardly gets a mention these days. Elizabeth is strong, in her own way, I suppose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now