Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2011 - Learning to accept our babies are toddlers

(881 Posts)
ClimbingPenguin Mon 18-Feb-13 12:51:17

New thread

I've hired someone to get all our babies to sleep while we go get sloshed in the corner

<hands out wine>

LittlePebble Sat 18-May-13 07:09:04

Pen can Atai count?!! <panics>

LittlePebble Sat 18-May-13 07:09:53

Took my last pill yesterday gringrin DH finally onboard now I just have to WAIT! Argh...

PenelopeLane Sat 18-May-13 08:14:39

Pebble that's exciting! And no, A can't count. He thinks that if it's more than one, it's two. Which sometimes is describing many more things than two! No need to panic smile

CheshireDing Sat 18-May-13 09:25:33

Sassy iPhone says No2 is due 26th Nov, scan says 6 Dec (which could make it a very close Christmas Baby if it went fully overdue) and we have to go back on 28th for NT Scan and they may re-calculate again. It was like that with P though. I was talking about it with friends last night as I said the only dates I am bothered about really are passing 24 weeks and then 37 weeks so it can be hb. Friend said last night the 24 weeks is now based on weight instead - which I think makes more sense.

Pebble imagine if if was TRIPLETS shock like Ducks friend ! You could 1 each to Sassy and Mama for their commune and have them back at working age grin

Aww Pene congratulations on a baby girl. We won't find out Mummy, we can't agree on names anyway.

Loving the random words (and full sentances in L's case MrsH and P's case Pene) grin. P has loads of single words, we got told at Parents Evening she is usually the last one to go to sleep as she is talking (doesn't bode well for the rest of her school life!) the most she seems to do though is 2 words - Big Toe.

P can't count either Pebble but we have focused much more on words and actions now I think about it, although not consciously.

CheshireDing Sat 18-May-13 09:26:08

Good luck Pebble, fx

Ooh exciting pebble smile

A hb chesh that's brave! Was P a hb too?

MummyDuckAndDuckling Sat 18-May-13 18:50:56

Brilliant pebble. Hope it happens fast for you!!!

MrsHende Sat 18-May-13 21:31:07

That's exciting pebble! Race you!

I like the phrase 'big toe' chesh, L is very fond of 'Ma-jay Daw', which is from See Saw, Marjory Daw. She's a chatterbox to. It's so intriguing isn't when they babble away, I can't wait to find out what she's thinking!

sassy34264 Mon 20-May-13 17:59:10

Yah pebble

Don't joke cheshire I had hold of a newborn today, and i seriously didn't want to give her back. I think i should just retrain as a midwife, that way i could hold babies all day long and go home without the hard work of looking after them! <hmm strokes chin>

Eva can count to 7 but she has no idea of what it means.

CheshireDing Tue 21-May-13 20:50:42

Ips how did mw appointment go, did you get a scan date?

Why would you want to look are stretched lady bits all day though Sassy ? grin

P should have been a hb Strawbs, she was until fully dilated then contractions stopped for over 2 hours and never came back so we had to go to hospital to get them re-started. DH blames the lovely warm pool so we have no pool this time - just the house bath and shower. I have booked a re-fresher with our Hypnobirthing Teacher too for September.

Fx for MrsH joining the minibus too soon smile

MummyDuckAndDuckling Wed 22-May-13 04:19:25

Evening all smile

Fingers crossed all goes to plan this time around cheshire! It's something I'd consider more next time around. S birth was very 'medical' if that's the right word to use, esp after I was very for minimal drugs etc. but at end of the day, she got here safe which is the main thing.

Holiday going well. I think I may move... winkgrin

PenelopeLane Wed 22-May-13 10:39:36

I don't like the idea of a home birth because my carpet has enough stains as it is grin

grin pen my living carpet is gross I really need to give it a proper clean hoovering just isn't making it look any better!
As far as hb goes I liked the drugs too much! (Not that I had a choice with W he had to be a hospital birth because of his head and my gd and any hypothetical 2nd will have to be too because I would get gd again)

CheshireDing Wed 22-May-13 20:29:45

Ah but the mw's tidy up. I puked on the bed and she spent ages cleaning it grin

Plus there is no evil strip lighting at home or person screaming "get it out" across the corridor.

A good boil wash gets rid of most stains grin

PenelopeLane Thu 23-May-13 09:16:21

Actually my labour was so fast last time for a first labour the MW said that with this next one I might need to be prepared for a home birth just in case it is true that your second labour is much faster. Am not sure if she was joking. I guess I should assume not or clarify with her!

PenelopeLane Thu 23-May-13 09:17:35

TBH I didn't really mind hospital last time although had to stay in three nights which felt like 2 too many. The worst part was how it was never totally dark. Shudder.

But the drugs people think of the drugs! After 3 and a bit days if induction and coming up on 10 hours of full in labour if I'd been more with it I think I would have snogged the doc who have me the spinal in theatre it was bliss!

I agree pen the lack of dark in hospital is one of the worst bits, that and how bloody hot it always is!

ClimbingPenguin Thu 23-May-13 13:21:42

I had a three day labour first time and 12 hour second time. Drugs weren't needed second time and if you get tired then go into hospital. Not that I had DS at home, my history meant I felt better being in

CheshireDing Thu 23-May-13 20:09:01

How fast is classed as fast Pene?

PenelopeLane Thu 23-May-13 21:48:32

It wasn't crazy fast, but under 4.5 hours from first twinge to A being born. It was fast enough to send my body into shock afterward. But not so fast there was any risk of him being born in a car!

MummyDuckAndDuckling Fri 24-May-13 01:43:29

Grrr, done big post and it lost!!!!!!confusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfused

MummyDuckAndDuckling Fri 24-May-13 01:48:12

In short I said..

*how are your dc's sleep/naps. Do you limit naps now? S has been waking 6.30am, nap for 90 mins around 1.30pm but not going to sleep till after 8.30pm at night. It's now 8.45pm and she's just went over with my laying with her.

*anyones dc in a bed/toddler bed yet? S has been taking her naps in my bed and is doing better than I thought in that she seems to stay in the one place and hasn't fallen out. I was planning to wait till after Xmas and new year which would make her 2.4 but maybe might try sooner.. Just curious smile

Hope your all well grin

MummyDuckAndDuckling Fri 24-May-13 01:49:43

Oh and yes to the hospital being crazy hot!!! I kept opening a window to have a mw close it again as soon as I turned my back! And they told me S wasn't dressed/wrapped warm enough shock. I was melting so I doubt she was cold!!!

PenelopeLane Fri 24-May-13 02:49:00

A tends to wake between 7.30 - 8, sleeps for an hour or so in the day, and it usually in bed about 7.30. BUT he still doesn't sleep through and we were up for 45mins with him last night. When he does sleep through, he wakes earlier.

He used to sleep through. <insert wistful sigh>

CheshireDing Sat 25-May-13 19:21:00

4.5 hours sounds fab Pene, although I appreciate the reality is probably somewhat different !

P has the Pox sad Poor thing is a right spotty mess, not sure what we are going to do about nursery/work next week.

P is usually in bed by 7pm-ish and wakes about 6-6.30am. Naptime is roughly 12.30-2.30pm. In her cot bed though as she wriggles around like a crazy person. She has been sleeping through for probably about 4 weeks now. I know that's not long but in this house it feels AMAZING grin

Maybe S just needs less sleep Mummy than others. By comparison our "one toy" friends toddler gets up after 8am, then has a morning nap, then a lunchtime nap, then a nap when he gets in from nursery (5.30pm-7.30pm) then he goes to bed about 10pm. Which sounds like a ridiculous amount of napping at his age to me

< disclaimer what do I know about toddlers >

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now