Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

December 2011: They're one Jim, and highly illogical!

(998 Posts)
LittleMissFantabulous Sun 30-Dec-12 22:29:23

I went with Gary's suggestion, as it was quite awesome and indeed factual!

grin

<boots up the caffeine hose>

Onwards?

Y'know, I wonder what the point of a monitor is when the parent who's turn it is for night duty snores sleeps through it hmm
Tonight DP is in with DS so I can get a proper night, as I've done three on the trot!

So sorry to hear of all the illness again.. glad your DS is a bit better Kat, as he sounded really under the weather, and how grim you've got it now too!

Would you post just one pic, time limited on here Oi, as I'm not on Farcebook and would looooooove to see the outfit!

Amazingly, I had a not-dreadful day at work, but when you're commenting on the rare un manic days it's a sign! I am booking off Friday afternoon, and DP has the day off- he's going to come into town where I work with DS and we'll all have a late, family Valentine meal out- can't wait smile

QueenofClean Tue 12-Feb-13 06:14:29

Northern did you get a good nights sleep?

By 9pm I could barely keep my eyes open last night and DD2 woke at 5:45 this morning, although in bed watching Winnie the Pooh at the moment.

AnAirOfHope Tue 12-Feb-13 08:51:20

A: I want to watch my DVD
Me: No its sleep time
A: I want to watch my DVD now
Me: No its sleep time
A: Dad, Mum needs to go on the Naughty Step, she being mean to me.

^^ Thats funny right there (Said in Mater voice)

BeeMyBaby Tue 12-Feb-13 13:40:03

wow - I drop off the thread for just over a week and look back and there are two possible pregnancies and on definite new pregnancy! All for October!?
Oi That's obviously baby weight you've put on, not over indulgence!

Aethelfleda Tue 12-Feb-13 13:44:03

Anything you'd like to declare, then, Bee??

<lobs coffee mugs at all and sundry, decaf for the pregnant birds...>

QueenofClean Tue 12-Feb-13 13:49:00

Bfn this morning yet I am so tired I can barely see straight. Just waiting for AF to show her ugly self. I'm thinking ovulation was effected as I had a sickness bug the week I was due to ovulate so I'm fx that I ovulated late and that's why I've got bfn so not enuff hormone to pick up yet on home test.

Xiaoxiong Tue 12-Feb-13 13:57:29

Oh fingers crossed Queen - would be lovely to have some October company smile

Work still pants. Nothing to do this morning again, even though my colleagues are all running around manically with work that was allocated yesterday. It just feels so miserable to be sidelined like this and I'm sure it's not intentional, people will just not think of me as fully present as I'm only working 3 days a week so they don't think I will be around when the work needs to be done (even though I AM here now, they just needed to be able to wait a whole 24 hours!). But going back to 5 days a week is just not sustainable.

I would sit here working on my business plan for the book thing but I have these timesheets I have to fill in detailing how I spend 8 hours every day, and my boss can see my computer screen now we have moved offices sad

AnAirOfHope Tue 12-Feb-13 15:24:20

I took Hope for her MMR jab today but the nurse refused to give it to her.

I showed her the letter from the hospital confirming the egg allergy but that they said to have jab at drs. Nurse refused to give it because there was no dr in building, its not acceptable to call 999 and wait for the meds she would need if she had a bad reaction and it would put her life at risk.

The nurse talked to the dr who agreeded and is refering Hope to hospital to get the MMR jab.

My chooces are
1) have it dont in hospital
2) delay until she is three and may have out growen it
3) not give it at all

Its so hard getting this right. Once the jab is given I cant take it out or undo it and I dont know what the reaction will be.

AnAirOfHope Tue 12-Feb-13 15:36:11

On the skin prike the negative test was 4mm by 4mm the test area for the egg had a hive 8mm by 4mm. The letter confirmed a highly posative reaction to egg. The allergy nurse said they would need to do blood work to say how big a reaction she has to egg. But no blood work was talked about just for us to avoid it hmm

Aethelfleda Tue 12-Feb-13 15:59:08

air, the blood test they described is called a RAST test: but it's only a rough indicator of reaction likelyhood and isn't a "yes/no" test for safety. So some doctors don't bother testing as the RAST number doesn't alter the outcome (all allergic kids are told to egg avoid.)
If it helps, it's quite commonplace for Hives-allergic children to have MMR on the day ward and be sent home a few hours later , virtually all of them are fine with it, the sort of reaction Hope has had is hives rather than the more serious full on anaphylaxis reaction( so they may just advise having it under observation with piriton cover). gotta be up to you, but there is measles about nowadays and having it under observation is probably the safest way for her to get that protection.

Aethelfleda Tue 12-Feb-13 16:04:46

Oh and if your GP is referring her that's good cos your local paed doctor will review the referral and let you know how they do it in your area. They may even decide to do the RAST blood test so that you know how
Severe her allergy is (though as I said the end advice will still
be egg avoid!!)

CheungFun Tue 12-Feb-13 19:32:43

Hello everyone,

Work was a bit poo, I've planned my schedule until the end of October and I'm going to have to leave a lot of important deadlines to my supervisor as they fall on my rest days hmm oh well.... Just not feeling it today, but probably in part because DS woke up with teething pain at 1am and 3am!

DS had a great day at nursery today though so that's cheered me up a lot and he's walked independently there today so they've been really pleased to see that smile

Air that sounds really stressful with the allergy testing and mmr jabs, I hope the hospital are more helpful and manage to give you a bit more info as well.

Xiao the bookshop idea sounds great btw, I was kind of lurking but too lazy to post earlier on the thread! smile

Peaceful nights to all!

mopsytop Tue 12-Feb-13 21:19:23

ugh stress air hope you work it out sad

who has had pancakes?! we had a savoury one with mushrooms, spinach and gruyère and then nutella crêpes. Yuuuummm.

Hey Queenie, I got my good night's sleep, thank heaven! I'll be on baby duty tonight, so we'll see how we go.

On the 'boo' side, both of DS's ears have gone again...yummy snotty sludge again. It's been a while-Boxing Day- since they last went, and we have his consultant appointment in a couple of weeks, so hopefully we'll get something sorted.
On the yay side, I have Friday afternoon properly booked off, so DP, DS and I will got for a late Valentine's meal together grin

That sounds annoying air; at least they've got her best interests at heart, and having it done at the hospital seems like the right option.

Sorry work's been poo Xiao and Cheung...and how's the house going aethel, are you getting there?

raaboonah Wed 13-Feb-13 07:50:49

northern sympathies re ears that sounds awful. I've read somewhere on here about repeated ear infections and solutions (possibly grommets?) I'll try and post a link later.

OiMissus Wed 13-Feb-13 09:16:44

OK, there be photos on the profile. The outfit was not very complimentary. The "cups" were not cups at all, just disc shapes on the dress, but entirely flat, so they just sat on top of my boobs and made me look like I had no shape at all. Not impressed!
I'm in the naughty books today. I took my colleagues out last night for a meal (they visited the house with me fiorst to play with BOi until 7pm, then we went out - leaving BOi with DH. I got home at 11.30pm, and DH was not impressed. I told him to get over it. I might not be showered with love and presents tomorrow. grin
Sorry about your egg-related worries Air, it sounds tough. And sorry about gunky ears Northern, that can't be nice. sad

Xiaoxiong Wed 13-Feb-13 10:21:14

Oi you look fab, especially your face and hair grin I see what you mean about the so-called cups on the bodice thing. I must admit the whole do sounded like my absolute worst wake-up-in-a-cold-sweat nightmare!!! Fancy dress at a private house party is bad enough but going out in the real world where people can actually see you - I would have actually expired with embarrassment which probably says a lot about me hmm I'm glad you had a good time though and at dinner last night.

northern sorry to hear about the ears but at least you have Friday to look forward to - hope they've cleared up by then!

mopsy we had pancakes on Monday for breakfast since I knew none of us would see each other yesterday (DS was asleep when I left on Tues morning, asleep when I got home and still asleep when I left this morning, DH had to work till midnight last night). They were American style with maple syrup and sausage.

air such a hard decision. I think I would have it done in hospital but that's mainly because a woman at my office didn't want her kids having the MMR at all and her son got a terrible case of measles a year later. Anecdote /= data though.

cheung sorry about work - it is frustrating trying to navigate the shoals of work being different post-DC! Just about everyone I've spoken with thinks I should quit now since I've given it a good try (nearly 6 months on part time now) and it still is no fun. I really want to keep our nanny on though so we'll have to see how much we can afford until she goes off on maternity leave.

I'm crunching the numbers today to see what would happen if our income halved, which is kind of scary. We don't budget at all and spend so much on food (mainly because of disorganisation, late nights and lack of time). But if I quit work that would immediately eliminate about £400/month of expenses, not even including childcare!

Figgygal Wed 13-Feb-13 13:15:57

Xiao i know what you mean about food shopping we are now probably over £100 per week on the house shopping so food and non food and then there are individual lunch costs and the odd lazy last minute tea or takeaway it cant all be because of Danny as he doesnt need fed 4 days a week as CM or GPs do it and we dont need nappies every week though he is still on a mix of formula (well now toddler milk) and moo juice.

The downside of CM has reared its head she is taking 2 weeks off in May and though we are going to go to Scotland for the 2nd week we struggling to find someone for the 1st week......at least nurseries are open everyday. PIL cant have him and they are our only option in the week as all other friends and family work. What do other people do?

Ds wowed me this morning i asked him where his socks were and he went over to the drawer they are in managed to get a pair out and then came and sat on my knee for me to put them on him, he also took an empty teething powder sachet over to the bin, put it in and then clapped at himself to reflect his achievement.

Xiaoxiong Wed 13-Feb-13 14:05:37

£100 a week...<hollow laughter> I have just added it all up and somehow we managed to spend a total of £830 in January in Sainsbury's, M&S and Waitrose shock shock I think more than half of that is prepared food and baby food because we don't have time to make it ourselves. This needs to end, ASAP blush

GaryBuseysTeeth Wed 13-Feb-13 14:19:00

Figgy, well done to Fboy!

Xiao shock Is it worth you doing two online shops a month & not buying anything that doesn't come in that?
We spend £20 a week on food shop (with a £150-ish costco shop every 3 months), so £35-ish a week in total

Hello Sailor! Looking good Oi, and looking over your other pics....remember when we all had babies?! Not bitey, walking, destructo-machines?

Air, hope the hospital are helpful, sounds very stressful!

brew for those who need it.

Xiaoxiong Wed 13-Feb-13 14:38:18

Gary yes that's a good plan. I think with budgeting and not even iron control but maybe something semi-soft we could cut that down easily. Great idea on costco shopping though we don't have almost any storage or freezer space for bulk cooking/buying...could work on that though.

Is everyone else's kid biting at the moment too? I was holding P in the doorway talking to my friend in the street the other day and he just casually leaned over and was peeking out at her over my upper arm like a cute chipmunk. Just as she said "aww, isn't he sweet" he opened his mouth and sank his fangs straight into my bicep and chortled with laughter. He managed to draw blood shock

jigglebum Wed 13-Feb-13 16:53:03

wow gary how do you manage that? We are easily over 100 quid a week at tescos for the 4 of us, plus top ups of bread/milk etc. we are not that extravagent - it is lots of fresh fruit, veg, meat etc and I make freya's meals mostly.

No biting here but she wants to be carried all the time and cries when put down.It is very wearing. combined with my cold/cough, getting up with her every night at least once, the shite weather etc I am getting worn down at the moment. I am going to try another couple of cranial osteopath sessions and going to have a chat with the HV about strategies for sleep and clinginess.

Figgygal Wed 13-Feb-13 18:17:14

xiao I tip my hat to you that is excellent shopping efforts grin

DS went to cinema to see wreck it Ralph today my cm is so bloody brave it was her, her husband and her 3 kids apparently he sat through the whole thing apart from 1 quick wander off but then came back and sat on her knee. My 4yr old niece has never been to cinema but then she's still sleeping with her bars up on her cot and sits in a highchair at home hmm

Double choc digestives in fridge cooling......feeling of shame to follow

Aethelfleda Wed 13-Feb-13 18:24:01

We had a nipping phase a few months back, following the "no" and put-down-facing other way for five seconds treatment, this has now changed into a into a Putting Things Into Things obsession: the less fab varient of which involves posting many things into the toilet angry but he's got such a cheeky grin I am far too soft on him. This is the down side of laid-back parenting!

I am impressed by the spending xiao, did it include non-foodstuffs like presents/booze? If you drink fancy wine it can double a grocery bill. (I say that as someone who stocks up when we holiday in france every few years only has a few glasses in a month if that, and doesn't buy posh wine even then!) I will join you ladies in the needing to budget line, as I am officially "between jobs" now (ie unemployed!) in preparation for the move (still not exchanged though northern, so am getting a bit twitchy again...)

<eyes up contents of the fridge to ferret out something to feed DH that isn't quiche>

raaboonah Wed 13-Feb-13 18:42:13

northern this is the thread I was thinking of. Ignore all the stuff about delay but there is something about recurrent ear infections and gtommets on page 2 purely anecdotal but might be worth pushing further

[[ http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/behaviour_development/1665482-Please-help-am-worried-about-my-3-year-olds-development?pg=3&order= linky]]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now