Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2012 - hurry up to graduate, we're running out of November

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Mon 26-Nov-12 11:03:46
NervousAt20 Tue 27-Nov-12 07:27:06

Aw sophia nights can be so rough can't they, could you try and out your feet up today and have a snooze?

GT never heard anything about flat heads hit my LO sleeps wig we head facing the side so interested to hear what other people say/think

Just doing feed 3 and LO puked on herself so all changes and feeding again

PetiteRaleuse Tue 27-Nov-12 07:31:21

Wow I just had my first experience of projectile vomiting. (well, LO did) Am rather impressed. But hope it was a one off. DD2 was up once during the night again. DD1 also woke up screaming at one point. Not sure what that was about but she took longer to settle than her little sister, which must mean it was a really bad dream or whatever it was was really hurting. Strange, as she was fine this morning.

Dixiebell Tue 27-Nov-12 07:51:59

Flat head thing is true. Seen some babies with really misshapen heads. DS had it a bit, doc commented on it at about 8 weeks and we hadn't really noticed. She recommended making sure he faced different directions in his Moses basket at night as he'd be likely to turn his head towards light/noise from us. You can get special pillows, we got one to use on bouncer but not in Moses. My step sis used a doughnut shaped one but her LO got a funny round lump shape on back of head instead! Anyway, DS now 2.2 and you can't see any unevenness at all. But with ds2 (due today!) I will make sure we turn him in Moses.

sigh J has a constant stream of green/brown liquid flowing out of him, it smells vile.
He's usually an explosive yellow pooper.
Does he have a bug or have I eaten something that doesn't agree with him.
At which point do I have to see a GP or be concerned?

TheDetective Tue 27-Nov-12 08:34:22

Sleep is for wimps yeah?

sad

Last night was good, only two feeds between half 9 and 7 but from 5am she was grunting soooo loud and it went on for ages so not sure I got much sleep from that point. It's as if she's got wind but nothing ever comes out confused

kirrin how are you finding it with two? I'm exhausted all the time, I knew it'd be hard but it's literally 24/7 I can never sit down (except when cbeebies is on!) also did you have the hearing test done at the hospital or have you got to go somewhere else for it?
I've got to go to Canterbury hosp but its a trek from mine with two little ones!

I've got Q's hearing test this morning, such a pain in the arse. I've got to leave at 9am to get there for 10, luckily we're all dressed but she's decided to have a nice deep sleep for once so annoying I've got to drag her out!
I keep thinking about just not going but they'll prob pester me for the rest of my life about it.

Passmethecrisps Tue 27-Nov-12 08:48:17

Defo for wimps. Remember ladies, we are NAILS!

I am shattered this morning. P was 14 days old yesterday and she celebrated by eating phenomenal amounts then gringing and crying for hours. DH slept through both night feeds despite me trying to wake him for one. He was still asleep and was all "but you're awake anyway". This is true but I was totally done in and cheesed off anyway. He has a vague recollection of it this morning and is mortified - other nights he has lept out of bed. He did take her at 7 this morning and gave me an extra hour.

Anyway, P is now asleep in her carrycot. Her naps seem to have shrunk to 1.5 to 2 hours. This from 3 to 4 hours is hard to get used to. Is it likely to be temporary? Could she be having a wee growth spurt?

I have a cold sore. I was infected with the virus as a baby by a lady with a big seeping sore giving me a sloppy kiss - my mum remembers it vividly. I MUST be careful not to give P any kisses.

priscilla101 Tue 27-Nov-12 08:48:37

Sleep....meh, so over rated!

Passmethecrisps Tue 27-Nov-12 08:52:02

tits call me precious but I would call the doc this morning. I sounds horrid for you both and if it is coming out of him constantly he will be at risk of getting dehydrated I would have thought.

TheDetective Tue 27-Nov-12 08:55:10

Am I being unreasonable to ask DP not to carry the baby up and downstairs in the Moses basket? Especially down the stairs?

He is a naturally clumsy person. So am I. But he is far worse. He has just snapped at me because I asked him not to do it. He is half asleep, very clumsy, and he is carrying the most precious thing in the world to me down the stairs. I want my baby to be safe! But
I'm unreasonable apparently.

Passmethecrisps Tue 27-Nov-12 09:10:16

You and me both detective. DH carries her up the stairs but I ask him to put his arm under to support her weight. You are not supposed to carry them anywhere in the baskets - they are not really very strong.

My DH thankfully finds my uber protectiveness quite amusing. He made up the formula bottles and got me to check the water levels because he could see I was anxious about it. You carry this wee thing inside you for 9 months and protect it with your body - of course it is going to be difficult getting used to them being vulnerable in open.

Chunkychicken Tue 27-Nov-12 09:25:07

Tried to post already but A sicked on my phone & now its being weird sad angry

Peaky1 Tue 27-Nov-12 09:40:22

Chunky I'm with you on the wheezing, grunting and coughing during feeds. I think it's just because he's frantically guzzling but I'm going to ask my HV about it tomorrow.

I'm in the middle of a feed now but once he's down again i'll free my hands up to post about plagiocephaly (flat heads).

StuntNun Tue 27-Nov-12 09:48:27

Pass I get cold sores too (probably caught them from my mum) so I only kiss the boys on their cheeks and foreheads and tummies but DH has to take his chances!

Passmethecrisps Tue 27-Nov-12 10:08:25

Yep stunt I usually kiss P on the top of the head anyway

Dixiebell Tue 27-Nov-12 10:16:09

Also on flat heads - that's why tummy time as much as poss is important. Having said that DS always hated being on his tummy. And never learned to crawl, went straight to walking instead!

Passmethecrisps Tue 27-Nov-12 10:39:22

Holy shit! Quite literally! Was feeding miss P and thought I would check her nappy. Wee lump of poo so I thought I would change her. Well, that caused a nappy free poosplosion! She pooed for ages - all over her, me, changing mat etc. then postie rang and she weed everywhere. In good news she seems happier. Bad news is I am sitting here surrounded by shit! Can't clean it up until she is snoozing really. Hope the social don't pop round

Passmethecrisps Tue 27-Nov-12 10:40:00

Hmm, my fingers actually seem stained - I have scrubbed them

Peaky1 Tue 27-Nov-12 10:56:15

Argh, did an epic post on plagiocephaly and then mumsnet logged me out and I lost the post! Fuming!

Right then, start again.

Plagiocephaly is a lot more common nowadays since Mums were advised to have babies sleep on their backs. When we were babies most of us were allowed to sleep on our tummies and spent the days on our backs to play. Now babies are on their backs to sleep and backs to play during the day. All of this and the effect of gravity on their soft skulls takes it's toll and head shapes start to change.

Things like car seats are also culprits as some babies are carried in them, go into the car, then it's a pram, then it's back to being carried in it, then if baby is sleeping when they get home then some tend to stay in it to not be disturbed. Some babies could have spent hours in the same position in the seat (just an example of what I've seen and treated, not an accusation!!!) Car seats are ace but just be wary of how long they spend in it on a regular basis.

To treat it/prevent it try to vary the position that baby is in throughout the day so they are not on their backs for long periods e.g. over an hour. Change their position in the room in the bouncer so they have to turn different ways to follow the source of vision/sound. Tummy time when supervised and awake for however long they can manage (even if it's just 30 seconds, every little helps!) All you are doing is preventing pressure on one part of the skull for long periods and building the strength in their head control so that soon they'll be able to move themselves out of position.

Tummy time doesn't have to be flat on floor. Can be on your chest, over cushions, rolled up towel/blanket under chest and arms etc.

Great Ormond Street do a good leaflet that I give out to my patient's parents:

www.gosh.nhs.uk/medical-conditions/search-for-medical-conditions/plagiocephaly/plagiocephaly-information/?__utma=1.1672181312.1354012612.1354012612.1354012612.1&__utmb=1.2.9.1354012619759&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1354012612.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=plagiocephaly%20gosh%20leaflet&__utmv=-&__utmk=235396353

The leaflet link is on the right side of the page.

There is no convincing evidence so far that helmets are any better than the above advice. The only positive research results have come from the rather biassed companies that make the helmets. The NHS don't fund them (due to lack of evidence), they cost around £2000 per helmet, have to be worn 23 hours a day and you would have to buy more as your child and their skull grows. I would never recommend a parent breaks the bank for a treatment that is overpriced and not even proven to work better than simple methods! It's a shame that private practitioners seem to recommend them.

Phew! Hopefully this'll post now...

Peaky1 Tue 27-Nov-12 10:59:18

Oh, and they must continue to sleep on their backs due to the risk of SIDS! Don't put rollled up towels or cushions etc around head when they go to sleep due to the risk of baby turning head and face-planting into it and risking suffocating.

pikz Tue 27-Nov-12 11:58:01

I love this thread...though laughing at some it hurts my scar. I'm so glad I'm not alone in this.

Have finally managed to get baby to sleep not on me or mum or DP. I feel like its a momentus breakthrough.

PetiteRaleuse Tue 27-Nov-12 12:14:07

My abs are still hurting and not being helpedby the fact my cold has turned into a cough. Ow.

Watched someone give birth to triplets last night on French OBEM. I think that would be my worst nightmare. Am far too disorganised for triplets. Or even twins.

DebussyHead Tue 27-Nov-12 12:19:35

Wow new thread already! DS is 15 days already. I'm shattered as he is so awake at night times and won't sleep in his crib so we are co sleeping.

Nice to see lots of new joiners to the thread smile. Am totally behind so off to catch up on last few days of chat. smile

I've just got home have been out since 9am. Ds fell asleep on the way home so thought great he'll be happier this afternoon. Dd needed feeding so got home and quickly ran in with the shopping and thought ill feed dd in the car when I get back to let ds sleep. No chance they were both crying when I got back, dd must have woke ds up. He wouldn't go back so he's had 10mins max grr!

In good news Q's hearing is perfect and her heel prick results came today and everything is normal smile

Bryzoan Tue 27-Nov-12 12:35:05

Owwwww these afterpains are killing me!

Pikz - just read your story. Sounds rotten and scary. Glad you had good support from dp and a good outcome in the end.
You have my sympathy on the expressing. I had to do that with dd - it took us 3 months to establish bf for various reasons, despite loads of great support. It was exhausting trying to establish bf, express, and deal with all the sterilising etc. If you don't already have one to use I would really recommend hiring a hospital grade pump. I'm sure I couldn't have done it without that. Also, the best advice I had was that as long as the baby is fed, and you keep the milk supply going and offer bf when you can, you will get there in the end. Really good luck.

This thread is not accepting new messages.