Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Primula PODs - tester feedback thread

(197 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 14-Dec-12 12:19:05

This thread is for the 200 Mumsnetters who have been trying the new Primula PODs with their DCs. Below are a few questions to get you started but please feel free to add any other comments you may also have.

Everyone who adds their feedback to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £150 Debenhams voucher.

The first few questions are about the Primula Cheese PODs:
Q1. Who in your family tried the Primula PODs? What were your/their initial impressions?
Q2. In particular what did you and your family think of the following in relation to both the original PODs and the Cheese N Chive PODs?
- Texture
- Taste
- Packaging
Q3. Did you try any of the Primula PODs recipes from the Primula website? If so which one(s) and what did you think of them?
Q4. When were the PODs eaten? As an after school snack? As part of a lunchbox? As a treat? etc
Q5. "Primula PODs are a good source of calcium", would this statement encourage you to buy this product or not? If so, why? If not why not?
Q6. What features do you ideally want to see from children's snacks?
Q7. If it came up in conversation would you recommend Primula PODs to a friend/relative? If so why? If not, why not?

Now just a couple of questions about the POD Island website www.primulapods.co.uk
Q1. What did your DC think of the website? Were there any aspects they particularly liked or disliked? Did they have a favourite area of the site?
Q2. Is there anything else you'd like to see on the website? Any areas for improvements? What did you like most about the website for your child(ren)?

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

ProfYaffle Tue 18-Dec-12 07:18:12

Q1. Who in your family tried the Primula PODs? What were your/their initial impressions?
Me, dh and dd1 tried them - dd2 refused. I liked them the most because it reminded me of the Primula and Chive spread I used to have at my Nan's house when I was kid! Dh and dd tried the plain ones and thought they were 'OK'.

Q2. In particular what did you and your family think of the following in relation to both the original PODs and the Cheese N Chive PODs?
- Texture
- Taste
- Packaging
The texture was OK but very processed. The taste was exactly like Primula which is a bit spooky in a solid cheese, not sure how such a uniform taste is achieved. The packaging was good in that it was easy to open but such a lot of a tiny amount of cheese.

Q3. Did you try any of the Primula PODs recipes from the Primula website? If so which one(s) and what did you think of them?
No, the bits of cheese were too small to cook with.

Q4. When were the PODs eaten? As an after school snack? As part of a lunchbox? As a treat? etc
They were eaten as a 'Mumsnet sent us these to try' exercise!

Q5. "Primula PODs are a good source of calcium", would this statement encourage you to buy this product or not? If so, why? If not why not?
Not really, as it's a bit obvious and no different to any other sort of cheese.

Healthy, natural products.

Q7. If it came up in conversation would you recommend Primula PODs to a friend/relative? If so why? If not, why not?
Personally I liked them so would recommend. I'd like a slightly larger portion though.

Now just a couple of questions about the POD Island website www.primulapods.co.uk
Q1. What did your DC think of the website? Were there any aspects they particularly liked or disliked? Did they have a favourite area of the site?
I really struggled to get the children interested. dd1 is 8 and thought it was a bit young for her, she wasn't impressed with the games and these days expects to be able to play online with her friends. Dd2 (5) just wasn't interested.

Q2. Is there anything else you'd like to see on the website? Any areas for improvements? What did you like most about the website for your child(ren)?
As above.

cleoismycat Tue 18-Dec-12 10:17:59

Myself and daughter who is 4

- Texture
- Taste
- Packaging

like packaging although cheese could 'ping' out. the taste and texture are good.

not yet

all of the above!

yes it would, my daughter doesnt drink much milk

heathy and fun

yes i would.

LiveItUp Tue 18-Dec-12 14:17:46

Q1. Who in your family tried the Primula PODs? What were your/their initial impressions?: They were meant for DS2&3 aged 10 and 5 as they are the two that have lunchboxes everyday. But DS1 (14), DH and I all tasted them. DS2 liked the plain ones, DS3 didn't like either (he may be only 5 but he likes strong cheddar with chilli sauce!). DS1 liked the chivey one, as did I, DH liked neither (too processed).

- Texture : rather rubbery
- Taste : too mild and not particularly "cheesy". Could do with a stronger flavour.
- Packaging : really liked this. The kids could open easily. And I think it re-cycles (I put them in our recycling anyway!)?

Q3. Did you try any of the Primula PODs recipes from the Primula website? If so which one(s) and what did you think of them? : No - I only use big chunks of cheese in cooking, with a strong flavour. eg strong cheddar, stilton etc

Q4. When were the PODs eaten? As an after school snack? As part of a lunchbox? As a treat? etc I hoped they would form part of their daily lunch boxes, but they didn't like them non-chilled (DS3 subsequently didn't like them chilled either). So they became an afternoon snack for DS1 & 2.

Q5. "Primula PODs are a good source of calcium", would this statement encourage you to buy this product or not? If so, why? If not why not? : All dairy is a good source of calcium, so it's a rather meaningless claim for me.

Q6. What features do you ideally want to see from children's snacks? Something "healthy" that ticks food source groups, particularly protein. Nothing that gives kids a sugar-high and leaves them hungry half an hour later. I really like fruit / nut combos, even with a few choccy buttons thrown in.

Q7. If it came up in conversation would you recommend Primula PODs to a friend/relative? If so why? If not, why not? No. Not popular enough amongst the DS's it was intended for, and texture etc too processed.

Q1. What did your DC think of the website? Were there any aspects they particularly liked or disliked? Did they have a favourite area of the site? : It finally loaded and the initial look was good - particularly for the youngest. Whenever we clicked on an area, it did nothing and we just got error messages. We are an "apple" household rather than microsoft, but latest version of browser so shouldn't have been a problem. Tried it a number of times over the two days of the weekend - just couldn't access anything so boys quickly lost interest and headed off.

Q2. Is there anything else you'd like to see on the website? Any areas for improvements? What did you like most about the website for your child(ren)? : Sadly N/A for us.

Thanks for letting us try them though. I hope everyone's feedback help you to develop the product a little.

Tiggertoo14 Tue 18-Dec-12 14:22:25

My 2 year old daughter tried them first and loved them. She constantly asks for them, t the point she wont eat other cheese just wants these

Texture – My daughter loved them, although I wasn’t so keen on the texture it was too soft for me
Taste – My daughter loved them, she prefers the cheese n chive pods but she thoroughly enjoyed both of them.
Packaging – Easy to Open, Easy to get the cheese out with little hands

We didn’t have the chance to try any of the recipies

Q4. When were the PODs eaten? As an after school snack? As part of a lunchbox? As a treat? Etc
They are eaten as part of lunch and also sometimes as a treat or a mid morning or afternoon snack

Yes, calcium is important to a childs development and as she has recently given up milk its important to replace that,

Something healthy, easy to eat, not too messy and something she will like

Definiately, in fact I already have, and will be buying them in the future

She is only 2 and couldn’t manage to work the mouse but she enjoyed looking at it and telling me what was on the screen and what to do.

I didn’t try it on the Ipad as didn’t have it at home, but my daughter can use that and if it could be used in that format with a touch screen she would definiately try to use it

TamasinR Tue 18-Dec-12 14:45:42

my little girl (nearly 2) tried both flavours and i sampled a bit too. They were better than i expected with a nice texture and pleasant flavour. DD seemed to like both and i was suprised as she is pretty fussy. She didn't finish them but was very keen to open them as she really liked the little pods.
I wouldn't really use them in recipes as they are very small and it seems a waste of packing. Like some others i would be keen to know if they are recyclable. However i quite liked the recipe section even if i would tend to use other cheese.
DD ate them as soon as they arrived was very excited about food in the post. Then as daytime snacks after activities. always good to have something tht isn't chocolate or biscuit and easier than fruit.
i would recommend someone try them certainly as alternatives are always handy and i thought these were good.

BoysAndGhouls Tue 18-Dec-12 15:49:34

Q1. Who in your family tried the Primula PODs? What were your/their initial impressions? myself, DP, 2 DS's, we all liked them apart from DS(5) who didn't like the chive ones.

- Texture. Ok DS(5) thought it was a bit slimy but he is fussy with food.
- Taste we all liked it, again though ds(5) didn't like the chive
- Packaging ok, same as babybel isn't it. The simple case opening was better than babybel wax cases.

Did you try any of the Primula PODs recipes from the Primula website? If so which one(s) and what did you think of them? not yet but we will.

Q4. When were the PODs eaten? As an after school snack? As part of a lunchbox? As a treat? etc DS's had them with lunch and as an after school snack when they asked.

Q5. "Primula PODs are a good source of calcium", would this statement encourage you to buy this product or not? If so, why? If not why not? yes it would.

Firstly something healthy or good for them, then something that they can open and eat themselves.and lastly something that doesn't make a mess.

Q7. If it came up in conversation would you recommend Primula PODs to a friend/relative? If so why? If not, why not? yes probably to mention an alternative to babybel as its easier to open!

My DS liked the colourings bit best to print them out, couldn't play the games as it doesn't work with the iPad.
The story could have been a video as my son prefers them. And the colourings section could be an online paint game.

modernbear Tue 18-Dec-12 16:28:20

Me - Okay. Not particularly original.
DH - Hated it. Only tried the chive one. Refused to try the other one. Said it was over processed.
DS - Had a good sniff. Refused to try either.

- Texture - slimy/plasticky.
- Taste - no one was a fan of either PODs - too processed taste to them.
- Packaging - Great looking packaging for a younger child and easy to open which is an added bonus.

No. I would not cook with Primula PODs.

Tried as a snack.

My family have enough calcium in their diet. It would not encourage me to buy PODs.

Nutritious, low in salt and sugar.

No, there more more well known cheeses out there that are better tasting and just as convenient for a snack or lunch box.

Somewhat disappointed by the website. Rather on the boring side. The nibbles would have been more interesting if they had spoken. Did not particularly interest my DS.

StantonLacy Tue 18-Dec-12 18:06:28

Still haven't received mine sad...hopefully they'll get to me before christmas.

yummytummy Tue 18-Dec-12 18:40:45

My DS aged 5. Initially thought it was a babybel in a different wrapper.

- Texture this was nice, not too plasticky
- Taste nice and cheesy
- Packaging very easy to open by himself which is a huge plus.
also brightly coloured and eye catching and easy to help himself to.

No, to be honest would be unlikely to use in a recipe as they are too small and it would be too uneconomical. also i think they are best kept as an easy snack.

after school snack, this is the ideal time for us as they will also be chilled at that time.

well as its cheese you would know that anyway thats why you are buying it.

low sugar, low salt, not too many additives, not messy and nice tasting.

possibly

the pictures to print and colour were a v gd idea

nice to have something visual to look at as well which ties in with the product.

maybe some different characters as well as mice but overall i thought it was good.

Misschicken Tue 18-Dec-12 18:48:35

1. Myself, DH and DS (2yrs). DH and me liked the chive one, v nice. The original we both thought tastes like the stuff in the tube, processed taste. DS ate both but also seemed to enjoy the chive one more.

2. Texture fine. Like baby bel . Taste as described above. DS liked packaging. I can see how it would appeal to kids. DH concerned it is not recyclable.

3.did not try recipes. No time, 2 under 2!

4.eaten as part of lunch at home and as snacks.

5. Statement would encourage purchase as calcium is an important part of diet.

6. Food for kids I would like to be healthy and free from additives where poss. Appealing but recyclable packaging. Treats are important too.

7.would reccomend the chive one as it appeals to all the family and its important for kids to try new flavours. They need to taste herbs as they are in everything nowadays.

1&2 sorry did not look as my dc's both under 2 so too young.

yummytummy Tue 18-Dec-12 18:57:59

also forgot to add, ds enjoyed the river rapids game on the website. he is just learning and enjoying playing games on the computer so this was a nice and straightforward one to try.

ISawSantaKissingThePortlyPinUp Tue 18-Dec-12 20:38:34

I tried the chive and cheese flavour and didn't like it, I thought the flavour was too strong and I didn't like the rubbery texture.
DD1 tried the original cheese and liked it, she preferred it to normal cheese, she liked the individual portions.
DD2 tried both the original and chive and didn't like either.
DD3 tried both and liked the original and wasn't keen on the chive flavour.
DD4 tried both and liked both but preferred the chive.
Dp liked everything and ate the leftover bits that anyone discarded.
- Texture
- Taste
- Packaging
We were a mixed bunch, I found the flavour far too strong but dd4 and dp loved it. I didn't like the texture but everyone else did, they like other processed cheese products ie cheese strings babybells etc whereas I prefer regular cheese. The packaging was very good, easy to open and would be convenient for packed lunches.
We haven't tried any of the POD's recipes but did try some of the primula spread recipes with great success, especially the mini cheesy potatoes.
They were all eaten within the first day or so when they came home from school as part of their snack tea.
Yes it would encourage me, dd4 failed to thrive so I try to fee her calcium and vitamin rich foods as much as I can and sneak extra's in the form of snacks.
Fun convenient, healthy and easy for them to open.
I would recommend them for packed lunches and snacks.

Thank you mumsnet and Primula smile

ISawSantaKissingThePortlyPinUp Tue 18-Dec-12 20:46:04

DD3 and DD4 really liked the colouring in printables and the games zone, especially the rapids game. It was a bit young for dd1 who is 11.

DD3 would like mouse dress up (random child) DD1 just thought it was too childish for her. DD2 said there could be more games with more characters.

pithtaker Tue 18-Dec-12 20:50:33

Q1. Who in your family tried the Primula PODs? What were your/their initial impressions? 3 DCs, aged 10, 8 and 5.

- Texture
- Taste
- Packaging
all described texture as being creamier and softer than 'babybels' (this was their choice of description)

Q3. Did you try any of the Primula PODs recipes from the Primula website? If so which one(s) and what did you think of them? No, they didn't fancy any of the recipes, so can't comment.

Q4. When were the PODs eaten? As an after school snack? As part of a lunchbox? As a treat? etc Lunchbox snack and also after school snack (and also as soon as they arrived snack)

Q5. "Primula PODs are a good source of calcium", would this statement encourage you to buy this product or not? If so, why? If not why not? Not really, all cheese is a good source of calcium, so nothing special there.

Q6. What features do you ideally want to see from children's snacks? Easy to open;healthy;long fridge life(ish);not made in a 'choking' shape;value for money.

Q7. If it came up in conversation would you recommend Primula PODs to a friend/relative? If so why? If not, why not? maybe, depends on the cost.

Q1. What did your DC think of the website? Were there any aspects they particularly liked or disliked? Did they have a favourite area of the site? they thought the homepage was a bit dull, but enjoyed most of the rest of it. not many games for older children(as spoken by an 8 yr old.)

Q2. Is there anything else you'd like to see on the website? Any areas for improvements? What did you like most about the website for your child(ren)? stuff for older children maybe?

pithtaker Tue 18-Dec-12 20:56:41

Q2 forgot to add, taste: the cheese and chive flavour was enjoyed only by older child, although I found it quite mild.
Packaging was enjoyed by the DCs, although they had to be shown how to open them at first. They recycled the packaging into toy fish. As you do.

litquot Tue 18-Dec-12 21:46:27

Who in your family tried the Primula PODs? What were your/their initial impressions? Two adults and a 5 year old. Looked quite jolly in their nets, and looked like Babybels.

- Texture
- Taste
- Packaging
We all quite liked the look of the packaging and DD could open them. Shame you can't recycle the pods, although they make good ducks! DD much preferred the cheese and chive and thought the plain one 'boring'. DH thought they were disgusting and wouldn't even eat a whole one. DD said they were 'softer than a Babybel'. I thought the mouth feel was pretty unpleasant and highly plasticy.
DD said she wouldn't want me to get more and I certainly wouldn't feel the need.

We made the butterfly pizza thing, using bread rather than pitta. DD liked it and thought the cheese was better cooked.

Q4. When were the PODs eaten? As an after school snack? As part of a lunchbox? As a treat?
As part of a cold tea and after school snack

Q5. "Primula PODs are a good source of calcium", would this statement encourage you to buy this product or not? If so, why? If not why not.
Urm, grandmother sucking eggs anyone????

Not too much sugar, long shelf life, easy to transport in a handbag.

Not really, the product just doesn't taste nice enough.

DD quite liked the design and was happy to potter around some herself, but needed help with the maths problem. Main problem was that it kept crashing, so DD lost interest quickly.

Don't use Flash.

bakingqueen Tue 18-Dec-12 22:30:24

1) My parents, dh and my toddler tried them as well as me. They were a big hit with them all my ds ate two in a row which is unknown for him

2) The original flavour was a hit the cheese and chive less so only dh liked those

3) Not had chnce to try any of the recipes as too busy close to xmas

4) We ate as a snack it filled a hole nicely

5) Yes its would as my son will only eat a few dairy products so that is definatly an incentive

6) Esay to use, not filled with rubbish such as additives

7) Yes as tasty, portable and healthy

Ivytheterrible Tue 18-Dec-12 22:35:24

Q1. Me- liked, DH- liked and DD(2) - liked plain not chive
Q2.
Texture and taste ok but pretty similar to other brands on the market - I wouldn't say any better or worse. Loved packaging and my 2yr old DD could open them herself after I had shown her.

Q3. No
Q4. As a snack mainly including in the car and at the gym creche - no mess which is good
Q5. it wouldn't influence my decision to buy pods specifically as it applies to all cheese?
Q6. Easy and convenient to eat but not just artificial junk. Something that they will reliably eat as well so kid-appeal.
Q7. Yes i think i would.

Q1.
Had a look with DD but she is only really used to cbeebies website so spent most of the time asking for that. She is too young for most of the activities apart from colouring pages. We often print stuff out to colour and ran some of these off for the drawing box.
Q2. Maybe animated story or something for little ones to watch without having to click in a specific place?

Convert Wed 19-Dec-12 11:05:41

I tried one, so did Ds's aged 5 and 4 and DD aged 1.

- Texture
- Taste
- Packaging

Nice texture, bit like that smoked cheese. I liked the original one as did DS1 and DD. DS2 didn't like them and none of us very keen on the chive ones.
Packaging is fab. Really easy to open but could be put in my handbag and not be squashed.

Like PP I wouldn't really use them in a recipe as they would be too expensive. I tend to buy snack cheeses like this for lunchboxes and keeping DD quite round the supermarket.

We had them as snack and I've been putting them in DS1s lunch for school.

Yes it would. The boys don't like to drink milk very often so i do worry about them getting enough calcium from cheese and yoghurts.

That they taste nice and the kids enjoy them, easy to open packaging, not too sugary or salty.

Yes I probably would recommend the original ones but not the chive flavour. I thought they were really good for lunches and no fussing like cutting cheese up and putting it in to a little pot when I'm rushing in the mornings.

DS 1 & 2 liked the website, especially the game zone but to be honest it didn't hold their attention for very long, unlike some of the other more garish, louder sites with cartoons they recognise from tv shows.

I liked the website and thought it was nicely done but perhaps the characters aren't well know enough to appeal widely to children.

Me, DH, DD (22 months), my Dad. We liked them.

- Texture

Nice. Firmer than we were expecting, which was good.

- Taste
Good. Not too strong. The chive flavour made an interesting difference to other products.

- Packaging
We liked it. It was visually appealing for DD and she enjoyed being able to open the pods herself.

No.

As a snack when out and about. As part of lunch.

Well, it is cheese, so I'd expect it to be a good source of calcium.

Low salt, no added sugar, full flavour. As natural ingredients as possible. Recyclable packaging. Easy enough for kids to open themselves.

Yes. We enjoyed them.

Jazzybreen Wed 19-Dec-12 12:39:50

Myself, my three daughters and one of their friends who was visiting.

- Texture - A little rubbery
- Taste - original POD went down well, chive version was given the thumbs down
- Packaging - packaging great, easily opened, even by three year old.

No, just scoffed them straight out of the packet!

They were eaten as an after school snack.

Yes, very concerned that my growing daughters don't drink enough milk...

Taste good, not over coloured/sugared.

Yes, for those already enjoying cheese strings/babybel.

CMOTDibbler Wed 19-Dec-12 12:39:57

ds(6) and dh tried them. Neither liked either flavour, and both commented that the texture was weird and plasticy.
We all liked the packaging, and it was very easy to open.

In a childrens snack, I like things that are resilient enough to be slung in my handbag or a rucksac, reasonably temperature stable (ie, doesn't go weird/off when in handbag for a couple of hours), and if I'm going to buy them as a specific snack food, to be interesting in some way as it will be a treat

debka Wed 19-Dec-12 12:41:26

Me, DH, DD1(3) and DD2(1). We liked them,

- Texture - creamy and smooth, we liked it
- Taste - the girls preferred the plain ones. DH and I liked both varieties.
- Packaging - the girls liked the packaging, much easier to open than Babybels.

No- the cheese got eaten too quickly!

At lunchtime at home.

I thought all cheese was a good source of calcium?

Healthy, filling, tasty. Low sugar.

Yes- we liked them more than Babybels which we have bought previously.

turkeygreaseyuckyovenglove Wed 19-Dec-12 12:41:56

Q1. Who in your family tried the Primula PODs? What were your/their initial impressions? Myself and 10 yr old daughter. She spat it out - I would have too apart from I'm the grown up! Neither of us keen at all. In fairness she's not that keen on any cheese except Laughing Cow My 2 cats loved them though...
- Texture
- Taste
- Packaging
Too solid in texture, plasticky tasting but we thought packaging was superb!
Q3. Did you try any of the Primula PODs recipes from the Primula website? If so which one(s) and what did you think of them? No
Q4. When were the PODs eaten? As an after school snack? As part of a lunchbox? As a treat? etc After school snack
Q5. "Primula PODs are a good source of calcium", would this statement encourage you to buy this product or not? If so, why? If not why not? As are many other dairy products which taste far nicer
Q6. What features do you ideally want to see from children's snacks? Healthy and above all easy to open
Q7. If it came up in conversation would you recommend Primula PODs to a friend/relative? If so why? If not, why not? Simply dont like taste/texture

Q1. What did your DC think of the website? Were there any aspects they particularly liked or disliked? Did they have a favourite area of the site? Too slow to load. Found it rather boring to be honest. Didn't hold attention long enough to give likes/dislikes
Thanks for letting us try the cheese, sorry not to be mor positive about the product.

SayHelloToMyLittleFriend Wed 19-Dec-12 12:55:02

Myself and dd aged 3
Q2. In particular what did you and your family think of the following in
relation to both the original PODs and the Cheese N Chive PODs?
- Texture Quite smooth and creamy
- Taste My dd really liked the original but wasn’t keen on the cheese n chive one. I liked them both but they’re not really the type of thing I’d eat.
- Packaging I really liked the packaging, very easy to open.
Q3. Did you try any of the Primula PODs recipes from the Primula website? If so which one(s) and what did you think of them? No, may still try one out though
Q4. When were the PODs eaten? As an after school snack? As part of a lunchbox? As a treat? Etc Just as part of an afternoon snack
Q5. "Primula PODs are a good source of calcium", would this statement encourage you to buy this product or not? If so, why? If not why not? It wouldn’t really encourage me as I’d assume any cheese would be the same.
Q6. What features do you ideally want to see from children's snacks? Healthy, tasty, convenient
Q7. If it came up in conversation would you recommend Primula PODs to a friend/relative? If so why? If not, why not? I probably would as my dd really enjoyed the original ones.

Q1. What did your DC think of the website? Were there any aspects they particularly liked or disliked? Did they have a favourite area of the site? My dd liked the games (esp the one you colour in the dinosaur) but it didn't keep her attention for long. She's maybe a bit young for it and got bored as it seemed to take a while to load.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now