Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're using an iPhone or iPad, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Show us your pumpkin

(151 Posts)
RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 23-Oct-12 11:05:03

Have you been growing a whopper of a pumpkin for Halloween? Or shop bought is fine

Do you and your DC carve a Jack O' Lantern every year? Or do you just want to show off your artistic brilliance?

Upload a picture of your pumpkin here for us all to howl ogle over and any top carving tips/pumpkin recipes you have, do share.

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 24-Oct-12 13:24:12

Too early for carving mine at the mo - or they sill shrivel and rot, so marking place...

BorisTheBold Wed 24-Oct-12 13:45:56

This is one I did last year, haven't decided on this year's yet. I usually use a template from Zombie Pumpkins - they have loads.

BorisTheBold Wed 24-Oct-12 13:50:16

Waah, it wont post - have uploaded to profile instead.

vodkaanddietirnbru Wed 24-Oct-12 13:57:09

I have a few photos from previous years on my profile too. I normally get templates from here

kittykitty Wed 24-Oct-12 14:49:43

My brother's done a cracking one for his audience - it's Nightmare Before Christmas inspired

kittykitty Wed 24-Oct-12 14:50:15

sorry - that didn't work - here it is

CinnabarRed Wed 24-Oct-12 15:03:53

Ladies, your work is amazing! Where can I get one of those pokey saw things from? The ones you can use to do the fiddly bits?

NotActuallyAMum Wed 24-Oct-12 15:09:51

Bugger! Last year I did a headless horseman, a koala, Spongebob Squarepants, Buzz Lightyear and a haunted house...but my mobile has since broken and that was the only place I had photos of them

<sulks>

Catsmamma Wed 24-Oct-12 15:12:57

three of my finest!

And look at the door!!

Catsmamma Wed 24-Oct-12 15:16:29

so why has that not worked...or is it just me that can't see it, cos I know what it is??

tries another picture!!

Catsmamma Wed 24-Oct-12 15:17:26

oh it did.. and now for the pussy cat one!

Catsmamma Wed 24-Oct-12 15:19:31

can you tell i go a bit crazy for hallowe'en

Catsmamma Wed 24-Oct-12 15:20:07

and some more

Catsmamma Wed 24-Oct-12 15:21:04

and finally The Bat Cave ....no shame!

Catsmamma Wed 24-Oct-12 15:34:40

Carving tips: A steady hand and a sharp knife, the scalpel/craft knife sets from poundland are excellent for any peeling type work you need to do.

If you are doing designs involving skin peeling, do that first before thinning and scooping out the excess flesh

Ditto Poundland for battery tealights in case of a windy Hallowe'en

Old style ice cream scoop is invaluable for scooping the flesh out

Draw the design on with a pencil/ water soluble pen, you can remove that with a licked finger damp cloth when you are done

AND super top tip is to spray them inside and out with WD40.....it really does help them keep.....normally I'd get 2-3 days out of a "thin" pumpkin, and the heavier ones will start to squelch also if it is mild, but I got over a week out of most of them last year. Do the spraying outside though, and no they do not go up in a puff of smoke if you put a candle in them! :D

CinnabarRed Wed 24-Oct-12 15:35:21

Someone tell me where to get the equipment please! Saws, I need pointy saws.

CinnabarRed Wed 24-Oct-12 15:36:46

Poundland, gotcha.

DH is going to freak when he sees my shopping list.

CinnabarRed Wed 24-Oct-12 15:37:18

But I still need a pokey pointy saw....

Home bargains, wilkinsons, pound/bargain shops have the carving kits. I'll try and find last years pumpkin pic, never uploaded a picture though, not sure how...

vodkaanddietirnbru Wed 24-Oct-12 16:18:18

Dh got me a carving kit from Asda

Here goes:

DoubleDoubleTwigletTrouble Wed 24-Oct-12 16:20:58

This is my favourite one smile

Here's an old one, ds was too small to help with the carving so he covered it with glue and sparkles instead. smile

I did this in 2010 as my first ever attempt at a pumpkin. Am looking for inspiration for this year smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now