Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Pt 7 (Feb13) Any old prolapse! Uterus/womb prolapse, rectocele, cystocele, enterocele, urethrocele, incontinence, pelvic floor, anterior and posterior repair, TVT etc

(993 Posts)

This is thread 7 (again - see below) of a long-running series of posts from ladies suffering from pelvic prolapses to support each other through the process of diagnosis, repair and recovery.

With apologies for confusion in thread numbers - the previous thread was called part 7 but it was actually the 6th thread.

Here are the previous threads:

Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4
Thread 5
Thread 6

Info from BBC Health

What is a pelvic prolapse?

As the muscles, ligaments and supporting tissues in the pelvis become weaker, they are less able to hold in the organs of the pelvis such as the womb (uterus) or bladder.

Gravity pulls these organs down and, in the more severe cases, may appear through the entrance to the vagina.

A variety of problems can occur, depending on where the weakness lies and which organs are able to descend, but in every case there is some degree of prolapse of the vaginal wall, which begins to invert (rather like a sock turning inside out).
Prolapse of the womb or uterus is the most common prolapse, affecting as many as one in eight older women to some degree
Prolapse of the bladder, known as a cystocele, is less common.
Prolapse of the urethra (the tube that carries urine out of the bladder) is known as a urethrocele.
Prolapse of the intestines is quite rare, and known as an enterocele or rectocele.

Symptoms

Symptoms depend on which tissues descend, and how severe the prolapse is.

They may include:
A sense of heaviness or pressure in the pelvis.
The appearance of a bulge of tissue in the genital area, which can be quite alarming, and is often red and sore.
Urinary problems, such as having to urinate more frequently, feeling the need urgently, being incontinent (losing control of the bladder) or, conversely, being unable to pass urine when you need to.
Pain in the pelvis or lower back.
Sexual problems, including pain and decreased libido.
Constipation.
Vaginal discharge or bleeding.

Treatment and recovery

Once a prolapse has developed, surgery to fix the affected organs is usually the only way to cure it effectively.

However, another option is to use a device known as a vaginal ring pessary. This is rather like a contraceptive diaphragm or cervical cap. It's made of silicone or latex, and placed in the vagina to push back the prolapsed organs and hold them in place. Many women happily manage their prolapse this way.

roseanna1 Thu 07-Mar-13 19:03:43

Thanks for all the kind wishes everyone.

Bladder, I did find the second surgery much more tiring in terms of recovery and the third just wiped me out even though they were much more minor day case type surgeries. I think having multiple general anaesthetics does wear you out more than you realise. Try to get loads of rest...I know it sounds trite, but it does help a lot.
Charley - your doctor sounds like a weirdo - I would run a mile to another gp lol

Edwin - sounds like a nightmare...feel for you x

Tr0ubled Thu 07-Mar-13 20:30:23

edwin I wish I could have morphine as I'm definitely not on top of my pain anymore and I'm constantly popping pills. It is just about bearable most of the time (except when I poo) but my consultant gave me the impression that my pain would be kept at virtually zero and this definately isn't the case.
After another agonising session on the loo this afternoon I rang the hospital in tears and was basically told, nicely, what did I expect having had the 2 procedures done together and there was nothing else they could do for me. She told me it was likely to be this bad for at least 2 weeks and that I should try chamomile tea!!! This is a private hospital as well.
Out of interest edwin are you private or NHS?

edwinbear Thu 07-Mar-13 20:42:33

Oh tr0ubled that is not on, they need to be helping you, not chastising you, the fact is your surgeon was happy to do both together and it reduces the risk of 2 anaesthetics. I was private as well, but they sound far more understanding. Are you able to speak directly to the surgeon? Failing that, can you get to the GP? If not, maybe call them and ask for a home visit?

Bladderific Thu 07-Mar-13 20:59:04

Thank you troubled and Roseanna I am getting as much rest as possible so will hopefully feel brighter soon but have started bleeding again today.

Troubled I have a surgical ring cushion if you want to borrow it? PM me if you do and I can post it tomorrow.

Yellowhorse Thu 07-Mar-13 21:13:29

troubled my cushion is a soft ring one like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seat-Ring-Donut-Cushion-FREE-Cover-Piles-Aid-Pile-/280704289418?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Mobility_Disability_Medical_ET&hash=item415b478a8a
It has been brilliant.
I agree with speaking to your consultant, you should be able to call his secretary, being private and request she gets him to call you. Although I hav the pain when sitting, it's not agony, just uncomfortable, and all along- although I do seem to have a high pain threshold- I have needed no more than paracetamol occasionally. The fact you're in considerable pain like this, makes me thing you need to speak to the consultant, sooner rather than later.
Sorry have no idea if was given anything to help, like cortisone, with pain or the saph fixation, the consultant was very very good, but not awfully forthcoming with finer details even when specifically asked!
Call our consultants secretary asap, and request he contact you. He will!
Hope you soon feel improved.

Tr0ubled Thu 07-Mar-13 21:51:21

Bladder and Yellow, I had heard that the ring cushions weren't that great for the prolapse repairs as they don't support the pelvic floor?

I've got an inflatable rubber cushion (mine was actually to help my bad back, it's wedge shaped) called a wobble cushion, physios and OTs use them (google it, they sell them on Amazon) - I found it very helpful in the early days (and when I went back to work).

cardamomginger Thu 07-Mar-13 22:04:31

Hi Tr0ubled sad Yes, I also think you need to bug his secretary tomorrow and insist that he sorts this out. This isn't on. I don't know what your colorectal guy is like, but your gynae will care and will take it seriously. And say that the hospital were dismissive. I'd also heard that the ring cushions weren't the best, as they can put pressure right on the bit that's trying to heal. I spent the first 10 days to 2 weeks sitting in all sorts of contorted positions, with my legs bent under me, trying to get the weight off the sore bits. sad.

cardamomginger Thu 07-Mar-13 22:06:22

That sounds good whoknows. Wish I's known about it earlier!
Ah - just looked it up on Amazon. Turns out I've owned one for about 4 years - I used to do pilates with it. Dimwit me....!

Yes, my pilates instructor uses them. So does DS's OT. In fact school use them for quite a few of the little boys who just can't sit still otherwise.

Yellowhorse Thu 07-Mar-13 22:14:56

No idea about the ring cushions not being good, but mine has helped me no end, and it goes everywhere with me,lol! It definitely doesn't put pressure on any area, where as sitting without it is still impossible, so on that basis, it must be better to even more pain!

Bladderific Fri 08-Mar-13 09:16:49

I am not sure Troubled. DH bought me this one for prolapse repairs last August and I could not bear to sit on it. I did use one after my first delivery and after a perineal repair a while ago and I could not have managed without it. The one I have is the same as the one yellowhorse linked, I am happy to post if you want to give it a try.

I had forgotten about the wedge cushion whoknows and might need to invest in one of those for going back to work

I am with whoever said that they try anything to sit comfortably including sitting on my feet - oh the glamour!!

charleymo5 Sat 09-Mar-13 15:25:38

Hi eveyone,
I thought I had left a message a few days ago but seems I screwed it up somewhere along the waysmile Hope all of you that have your ops are feeling ok and that your bits are healing well!
Anyway, it has been a while since I last posted, been a it down and had a few family problems which took over for a while but finally went back to see GP last week to ask for a referal. She was giving me one for the colorectal team and was a bit peed off when I told her I would rather see a urogynae! Didn't help that she still has even examined me:O
Got my booking letter this morning and have an appointment on 21st March for the gynae unit. Hope I have chosen the right hospital! Went for the closer one,partly because it is closer and because the wait was a bit shorter to see someonesmile Need to get this sorted out as soon as possible. Constipation seems to be a lot better - thanks for all your tipssmile Work is killing me so have decided to hand in my notice, can't do the long shifts on my feet and lugging round crates anymoresad Was hoping to go quite soon but a couple of the girls have had close family deaths so I am needed to cover shifts while they get themselves sorted out, can't just leave them all in the lurch.Am going as soon as everything gets back to normal though and can't wait to hopefully not be in as much discomfort and pain. So think thats all, was quite surprised to get an appointment so quickly and will let you all know what they say.

roseanna1 Sat 09-Mar-13 17:21:43

Great that you don't need to wait too long Charley - if you're anything like me the waiting is the hardest part!

I think what doctors fail to realise sometimes is the real life impact of the symptoms - its not just a case of diagnosis and treatment, its a case of how exactly do we manage and what do we need to do before, during and after treatment as well as the impact it has on the wider family. I'm so sorry you need to give up your Job. Hopefully you'll be ableto find something that suits you better once you get sorted out x

NeopreneMermaid Sat 09-Mar-13 22:35:20

So I thought I was healing well (now 2.5 weeks post-op for cystocele repair) and had a look as something didn't feel right. I no longer have the massive bulge from the front wall bit it looks like the back wall is bulging out! I seem to have a whole new prolapse. sad

I wonder if the cystocele had been supporting/preventing a (missed) rectocele.

I've emailed my surgeon's PA but can anyone offer insight in the meantime. This, maybe not inappropriately, feels like a massive kick in the arse.

cardamomginger Sat 09-Mar-13 23:52:13

Hi Neoprane. So sorry things are not right sad. Could it possibly be swelling? 2.5 weeks is very early and there's all sorts of bruising and swelling still to come out. But, yes, you are right sad. The cystocele could have been supporting another prolapse that now has the chance to appear/get worse. That happened to me twice. And it so horrible and devastating when it happens. But it really could just be swelling?? I'm almost 4 weeks post repair (cystocele, rectocele and enterocle) and everything is so swollen and 'full' down there. TBH I feel and looked worse at 3 weeks than I did at 1 week.
I hope your surgeon's PA gets back to you ASAP and you can get checked out. Do you have a follow up already booked in?
X

It can happen Neoprene, I am half expecting the same, in that I had a rectocele repaired and have a more minor cystocele which I worry will become problematic, the surgeon warned me about it. However as Cardamom says it could well just be bruising and swelling, it is all close together and very early days. Hope you hear back from the surgeon quickly.

Charley glad your appt came through so fast, sorry you've had to quit your job, but probably best to prioritise your heaith.

I'm lurching from one medical problem to another. I had to give up running because of the prolapse so I took up swimming. I strained my arm so now I've had to stop swimming. The anti-inflammatories I've had for my arm have caused bleeding in my eye. Feeling like a right old crock!

charleymo5 Sun 10-Mar-13 14:53:11

Flipping heck Whoknows you are not having a good time at all are yousad
Poor you Neo, hope it is just swelling and you aren't having more trouble!
Was actually going to ask for exercise advice. I am not a runner, far to lazy lol. Have been on a bit of a health kick the past year or so though and have managed to shift 4 stone so far which is great but I really want to get rid of the last stone.
If they do say they will operate and fix my bits then being laid up for a few weeks on top of not doing my very physical job has me scared I will end up like jabba:O
We have a running machine but I know running is out so was thinking about an exercise bike, would that be ok do you think?
Swimming is great but it is a pain in the bum for me to get to the pool often and as other half doesn't swim I usually end up with the kids and two of them don't swim so can't really get much proper swimming in. How about Yoga?
Took some advice from here and bought the itouch pelvic thingy, nearly gave myself a heart attack and almost made my best mate pee herself when I described it to hersmile
Hoping it will actually do something cos it is very odd!
Am seriously considering/trying to pack in smoking too. Couple of days locked in a hospital ward will have me going mental! Packing in would surely help with healing and stuff too, well thats what I am telling myself anyway.

You could try power walking on the running machine Charley, maybe have a steeper gradient than you would try for running. Exercise bike would be out of the question for quite a long time post-op I think, pre-op, well, depends what level of discomfort you have presently I guess. Well done on your weight loss, I need to lose 3st, I've done my usual thing of losing 10lbs and then falling back into old habits, really need to spur myself back into some willpower.

cardamomginger Sun 10-Mar-13 15:22:26

Exercise bike, even a reclining bike, would be my idea of sheer torture for a long time..... Walking with an incline is an excellent idea.

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Sun 10-Mar-13 21:23:47

Charley how about a cross trainer? I have switched from running to cross trainer to reduce (significantly) impact. I have jut bought a great second hand one from eBay.
WRT giving up smoking have you considered trying vaping / e-cigarette? Might be a good step toward giving up completely.

RF67 Sun 10-Mar-13 22:12:12

Hi, all. Just found this thread and now posting on Mumsnet for the first time.

I'm 6 week's post- TVT surgery. Having severe pain on one side only, which only started to develop a couple of weeks ago. Have had scans, nothing. Consultant has fobbed me off with antibiotics "in case" and said to come back in a month if I'm still in pain.

It's not constant pain, it's triggered if I stand up for more than a few minutes at a time (so the school gate is a real problem). It's excruciating, presumably it's around the top of the tape, although I can't be 100% sure.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

NeopreneMermaid Sun 10-Mar-13 22:51:41

Thanks for your advice as always. I really hope it is just swelling but because the new bulge has appeared so suddenly and in an area that wasn't operated on, I have a horrible feeling I have a whole new prolapse going on.

wrt exercise, usually swim a couple of time a week but can't do that on surgeon's orders until my post-op appointment in 3 weeks. Apparently it's more to do with bacteria in the water than the swimming itself.

I did have a dose of the trots all last week and can thoroughly recommend gastroenteritis for shifting the pounds piled on while laid up. If it's good enough for the Queen, ladies...

charleymo5 Sun 10-Mar-13 23:21:38

duh! never thought of walking on the runing machine, how thick am I smile
Like the idea of a cross trainer, isn't that the swingy thing, like running in the air?
Funnily enough Musttidyup just bought an e-cig from work tonight, was prompted by the sudden onset of awful hacking cough and coldsad Thought I might take advantage of it. Haven't had a cough for a long time so will see just how strong my pelvic floor really is :O
RF67, sorry I can't help with to what the pain might be but hope you find out and feel better quickly.
Neo, think I will pass on the gastro thanks, though if I can't start shifting these pounds I may be desperate enough to try it, would be a nice change from being bunged up lol.
Am shattered so off to bed, got a couple of nights off now yipeesmile

Tr0ubled Sun 10-Mar-13 23:49:50

A little nervous so am popping on with a quick question - has anyone ever had numbness down below after their op? I'm a week post big repair and today have had a few episodes of my inner thighs and fanjo going tingly and numb. I don't want to be concerned as I saw my consultant yesterday (for new pain meds, thank goodness) and he was really pleased with how it's all healing already. However I'm now lying here with a mixture of dull aching inside and numb tingly outside, no fun. Would just be reassuring to know if anyone else has had this.
TIA xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now