Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Calling all Raggedies - the THIRD Ragged Bits thread. Childbirth injuries, sphincter problems, fistulae... all welcome.

(846 Posts)
Jacksmania Fri 26-Oct-12 19:08:26

First thread here, May 2008 to June 2009.

Second thread here, June 2009 to Oct 2012.

Welcome everyone with ragged bits due to childbirth. We're sorry you had to find us, but we promise to hold your hand and listen.

There is no TMI here and nothing is too gross, too embarrassing or too horrible.

<lays out tea tray, buffet and alcoholic bar>

All welcome.

Jacksmania Tue 22-Jan-13 02:04:31

Hi Monix, your English writing is brilliant smile
Congratulations on your baby boy. I'm sorry it was such a horrible experience sad
As I'm sure you've read, lots of us have gone through similar, so we're here to keep you company. This thread doesn't always get a lot of answers quickly, but keep checking back, someone will be along!

I had the same as you, fecal incontinence after my son's birth. Forceps, third, possibly fourth degree tear. I refused to leave the house when I had loose stools! Or I'd wear one of Jack's nappies in my pants blush. I know exactly how you feel. In my case, it lasted a few months before I really felt like I had some control back. It's horrible. I really feel for you.

Welcome to the thread - we're sorry you had to come looking for us, but we're glad you found us smile

Monix32 Tue 22-Jan-13 21:42:41

Thanks Jacksmania for the welcome! I read your stories on the old threats, really helps a lot, I hope everything would get better with time!at least my mind would get better!
Monix

Jacksmania Tue 22-Jan-13 22:04:08

It will. It's so hard right now, because it's still all new, and it's hard to see progress when you're in the middle of things - but it will get better.

Sossiges Wed 23-Jan-13 17:48:04

I'm back, I didn't go to the dr on Monday as planned but saw the mw today and in the meantime the sausage skin has gone back inside to (hopefully) its rightful place. I googled it but couldn't find anything on the internet about sausage skins and the mw had no idea what it could have been either so I'm none the wiser but relieved. I feel like a right fraud now.
I hope your operation goes OK Jacks xxx

Jacksmania Wed 23-Jan-13 17:59:25

grin that made me grin. You're not a fraud!!! Horrible thought, but could you take a picture if it appears again? Yeah right, who's going to aim a camera at their fanny.

I'm having a hard time with the uncertainty of the timing of the op. Any time in the next 12 months, we'll ring you a month in advance. Cheers hmm.

EauRouge Wed 23-Jan-13 18:37:15

Sossiges Yeah yeah, I bet you made the whole thing up just so you could post on the raggedies thread grin I'd keep an eye on it just in case. At both of my 6 week checks I was offered a check up on my stitches, it's well worth taking up the offer or asking someone to have a peek.

Jacks, that is shit, how come they won't let you know? It must be awful not knowing when it's going to be. I hope it won't be too long a wait for you.

I had my blood test and MRSA test last week and I've heard nothing so I assume everything is fine and going ahead for my op next Tuesday. I mis-read the letter they'd sent me and I won't be in for 4-6 hours in the clinic, I'll be in hospital for 4-6 hours total! shock I'm a bit worried now that they're going to rush it grin

cravingcake Wed 23-Jan-13 18:40:45

Sossiges, that has made me smile too grin. And you definitely not a fraud, glad it seems to now be ok.

Jacks I've seen your other thread about your op but not read it but do hope you are feeling a bit better than last week.

I've got my gynae appointment next Wednesday so am half looking forward to it to find out what they say and I can get things booked in and planned and half not, for the obvious get-ya-bits-out-so-we-can-have-a-good-look way.

Jacksmania Wed 23-Jan-13 19:04:30

EauRouge, that's just how the Canadian medical system works. This would be considered elective - I guess until my uterus actually hits my knees - so you get put on the surgical wait list, and the surgeon works his way through the cases, until it's your turn.

It's better than the US, anyway...

cravingcake Wed 23-Jan-13 19:34:05

EauRouge do you know what the procedure is that you will be having? I was booked for a 'refashion' and was told I would be a day patient, so in and out within about 6 hours. I was told that it would be agony for about 3 days, then about a week later much better and by 3 weeks after surgery able to have sex again shock and get pregnant shock (am planning on another baby so wanted to know recovery times for my body to be able to support a pregnancy, and the added weight that comes with it).

Just for info, I'm seeing another gynae at different hospital as my GP was not impressed with the surgery I'd been offered, so my op is on hold until I've seen them next week.

Sossiges Thu 24-Jan-13 01:00:28

Excuse moi, EauRouge if I were making it up I think I'd go for something a bit more dramatic than "a sausage skin hanging out of my fanny" wink
Will quiz the doc at the 6 week check though and see if he has any idea what it could have been. Poor man.
Darn it, you're right, I should have taken photos.

Jacksmania Thu 24-Jan-13 05:22:07

I do wonder what it is - you'll let us know??

EauRouge Thu 24-Jan-13 09:02:36

cravingcake, I think I'm having a re-fashion, although the last letter they sent just said something about skin tag removal. Either way it is very minor, I only had a 2nd degree tear. Sex after 3 weeks? shock I'd better get some contraception sorted soon afterwards then. Definitely do NOT want to have to go through pregnancy and childbirth again after I get my shiny new fanjo grin

Jacks ah, you're a Canuck! Which bit are you in? Hope you hear from the hospital soon. Find some other people on the list and talk them out of it so you're first in line wink

Sossiges How long until your 6 week check? Could you phone a MW and just chat over the phone about what it could have been? Maybe a big stringy bit of lochia?

Sossiges Thu 24-Jan-13 15:20:42

About another 5 weeks until 6 week check! I've asked two mw's and neither of them had any idea what it could have been. Wasn't lochia - was definitely attached and hasn't come out (I would have seen it). Plus it came out and went in a few times before disappearing back up. Some kind of alien life-form perhaps? confused

Jacksmania Thu 24-Jan-13 15:42:27

If it's an alien life form, we definitely need pictures! grin

ER, I'm on the West Coast, right near Vancouver.
<snicker> @ talking other women on the list out of their ops!

cravingcake Thu 24-Jan-13 18:57:59

If Sossiges does have an alien life form I will second the definitely need pictures grin If for nothing else but to make us smile.

EauRouge, you could be having skin tag removal. I need that (been really painful today), and some scar tissue to be removed. Plus whatever else the gynae I see next week says. Also, I don't really want another pregnancy just 3 weeks after I get a shiny new fanjo either, it would be nice to err, try it out and enjoy it for a while first grin

Jacksmania Thu 24-Jan-13 19:47:09

I've been told "nothing in the vagina" for 6 weeks after my op shock

And I've been told that women are often extra, erm, well, horny... after a hysterectomy shock

Now how do I fit those two facts together????

Jacksmania Thu 24-Jan-13 19:47:43

PMSL @ "shiny new fanjo" grin

EauRouge Thu 24-Jan-13 20:56:21

Our pub quiz team last week was called 'shiny new tuppence' (we won). I also texted one of our regular members who was absent with an invitation to 'come and have a drink and toast my new vagina'. Strangely it was declined hmm

I like to keep a sense of humour about these things grin

Jacksmania Thu 24-Jan-13 22:47:12

Well, you have to.
I saw my GP this morning for something unrelated but annoying a sebaceous cyst on my back, I may actually have to sound the klaxon for the very first time and she was very sympathetic about the hysterectomy (she's lovely, always has time to listen) and in the end we ended up giggling about something likely stupid I said, and I thought, hey, I'm better than I wa slast week, as least this week I can almost laugh about it.

I wonder what your team member thought s/he was being invited to do grinshock

EauRouge Mon 28-Jan-13 10:15:26

This time tomorrow I'll have my shiny new fanjo <shakes uncontrollably>. I'm going over to a friend's house after lunch to keep my mind off things, this morning I've got to clean out the zoo because I'll be on the sofa for a week I should think.

Good luck getting your back sorted Jacks, that must be really uncomfortable and annoying.

cravingcake Mon 28-Jan-13 21:55:51

Good luck EauRouge i hope it all goes well.

EauRouge Tue 29-Jan-13 14:09:32

Have survived! Was only in theatre for about 30 minsshock on sofa now, bit stingy but doing fine on paracetamol.

cravingcake Tue 29-Jan-13 16:56:18

Great news Eau, keep us updated on how things go, i'm off to see gynae consultant tomorrow morning for second opinion. I know last week i was quite looking forward to it (in a find out answers sort of way) but now i'm nervous. My DS has given me a delightful cold which has knocked me more than normal and have lost my voice, even had to get the grandparents over to babysit so i could rest for a couple of hrs today. So i'm now hoping for a quiet night and a bit of distraction on the tv.

Jacksmania Tue 29-Jan-13 17:25:14

Good luck craving. I hope you get all the answers you need <offers hand to hold and box of Kleenex for rotten cold>

EauRouge, I hope you're resting and doing nothing? <stern look>
Keep up the pain meds. After my scar revision, I thought "oh, this is nothing" and let it go for a few hours too many one day... oh dear... it was Not Good.

I am having a miserable menstrual period. Just miserable. Cramps, aching, flooding, bloating... and I'm absolutely delighted by the thought that I won't be having too many more of these. If I have to wait the full year, it'll be around 11 more. If sooner, then fewer.
Right now, that's a nice thought smile

shine85 Sat 02-Feb-13 10:18:40

Hello...I'm new here for some advice really. I had my baby in October. Failed ventouse, forceps delivery. I had stitches for the episiotomy. Five days later they were found to be infected so I was put on antibiotics. About a week later the doctor said the stitches had come open and I was left with an open wound. I gave taken ten courses of antibiotics in total and I think I now have reacted to that...ruby yellow discharge for the last eight weeks. I was eventually referred to a gynae who has given me a date for cutting and re stitching along the perineum. I'm looking forward to it because it could mean and end in sight to all this horrible time I've seen. But I'm also nervous and don't know what to expect. Has anyone here been through this or similar? I would really appreciate some advice. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now