Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Calling all Raggedies - the THIRD Ragged Bits thread. Childbirth injuries, sphincter problems, fistulae... all welcome.

(830 Posts)
Jacksmania Fri 26-Oct-12 19:08:26

First thread here, May 2008 to June 2009.

Second thread here, June 2009 to Oct 2012.

Welcome everyone with ragged bits due to childbirth. We're sorry you had to find us, but we promise to hold your hand and listen.

There is no TMI here and nothing is too gross, too embarrassing or too horrible.

<lays out tea tray, buffet and alcoholic bar>

All welcome.

shine85 Thu 21-Feb-13 10:24:13

Eaurouge, it's wonderful you're nearly back to normal...that's great news! Hope you're 100% recovered soon.

Craving, three weeks is a long time to wait sad hope they hurry up and you're feeling better soon.

And how's our lovely jacks getting on?

Insecure24 Thu 21-Feb-13 10:38:43

Thank you! I want another baby soo much it's become a bit of an obsession confused. Especially when so many friends are pregnant. I just really really struggle to overcome the mental block of having sex since my 3a tear and restitch 2.8 years ago. Plus, after I had her, my periods went mental so was given mirena and pill together which I'm still on. Really want to give them up but scared (petrified) of haywire bleeding again.

shine85 Thu 21-Feb-13 12:50:44

Insecure, I know how you feel! Every time One Born Every Minute Congress on I'm like "Aw,I want one!". I feel my time with my newborn was robbed since I can't even enjoy her properly now at four monthssad
I hope it all goes well for you fall pregnant again. X

EauRouge Thu 21-Feb-13 13:38:35

I cuddled my friend's hours old baby the other day and only felt broody for about 5 seconds. Now, dog-broodiness, that I can't shake off grin DH says no though the bastard.

I get what you mean Insecure, I was the same when I got pregnant with DD2. I swear EVERYONE in the world except me was pregnant. I hope it happens for you soon.

raggedyanny Fri 22-Feb-13 09:54:27

Hi, still waiting for an appointment with the Dr, just a quick question I'm due a smear (overdue, I've never actually had one!) internals during pregnancy never really bothered me, but now with my rubbish bits I'm putting it off as I'm dreading the pain, any advice? Other than just go for it (which I will, I just don't want to!)

shine85 Fri 22-Feb-13 10:57:28

Had a scare last night. I was in bed and felt left side of my face swell up. Didn't sleep much at all worrying about bells palsy our a reaction to the meds.

This morning, I went to do a number two (sorry for all tmis here) and my bottom is still swollen. Soft stools but still made it harder to poo because I obviously want it as clean as I can get it.

so, that's a swollen face and swollen bum and pain at site of op.

Managed to get a doctor app with another doctor though.
I'm feeling so low.

cravingcake Fri 22-Feb-13 12:45:07

Shine I don't know what that could be, or what to say, but I bet it is scary. Hand holding as required!

raggedyanny Book in for your smear. It is normally done by a nurse at the doctor surgery. They will know its your first smear and should be understanding and explain everything they are going to do. They should also ask if you have any worries or questions before you even undress. Just tell them you are obviously nervous and a bit worried.

They will then ask you to undress behind a curtain, lie on the bed and cover yourself with the flattering blue paper towelling. They will use a speculum to open your vagina and then use what looks like a large cotton wool bud to take a few cells from your cervix. Then its a case of get dressed, go home and wait for about a week for results in the post.

Advice - try to book it for the middle of your cycle as any blood can mean you need to go back for another test.
It doesn't actually hurt (even with damaged/broken bits), just feels uncomfortable and don't be worried if you bleed a little bit afterwards, a panty liner should be all you need.

I have had 2 since my DS (have had abnormal results a few times) and they were both uncomfortable but the nurses I had were brilliant and totally understanding. The build up to it was way worse than the actual smear.

shine85 Fri 22-Feb-13 14:05:44

It is scary, yes. Thanks for the hand holding.

I just got in from the doctor. A different one this time. He examined me, then said that yes, it is swollen, and the worst part: infection. I'm terrified of the stitches opening up. I don't understand because I've not missed a dose of metronidazole antibiotic. He prescribed more antibiotics for me and did said shower the area twice a day. Feeling very teary.

cravingcake Fri 22-Feb-13 14:50:30

Oh shine, really feel for you. If it helps have a good old sob, sometimes its the only thing to do. I'd curl up on the sofa with a big snuggly blanket, some chocolate, warm mug of tea and watch a favourite old film.

To try to keep infection at bay, after showering do you have the luxury of time to 'air dry'. If its warm enough lay down on a towel on the bed for 10 minutes legs akimbo as required Also, wash your bath towels on a really hot wash and change them regularly, in case little sticky germy hands grin have been using them.

I just remembered that peppermint tea is good to aid digestion so this could help having a cup or two a day.

Insecure24 Fri 22-Feb-13 16:03:37

Shine sending you a big hug. I ha metronidazole a few times following my restitch after 3a tear. The antibs themselves made me feel like death warmed up. What surgery have you had?

shine85 Fri 22-Feb-13 17:51:39

Craving, I did have a sob sad needed that release so it all came out. I tried so hard to prevent infection sad I dry as much as possible and always wear a thick pad (kotex night time).

I'll try the peppermint tea thing though. I was actually on the sofa few nights ago with a blanket and chocolate watching eastenders.

Insecure, I had the re stitch too. last Friday. When did you have yours? X

Insecure24 Fri 22-Feb-13 18:49:48

I had mine 2.5 years ago. I remember being in WAY more pain after that than the initial job when dd was first born and was alternating paracetamol and ibu like they were going out of fashion but sure its coz she did a tighter job with the stitches. Oh and the pack - fracking hell that thing just kept coming and coming. How much do they stuff up there?! I had to sit on a doughnut cushion for a few weeks and remember blood in my wee a couple of times but it is soooo much better now than before. Hang in there. I had the metronidazole before my surgery but don't remember being given any after the op. My consultant gave me fucibet cream to rub into the healing scar after about 6 weeks which was soothing. Any more info I can recall/help with just holla!

shine85 Sat 23-Feb-13 00:26:03

How long did it take? I did think of taking ibuprofen but wasn't sure if I could with my antibiotics (metronidazole and clarithromycin). It is horrid, isn't it?
The removal if the pack was worse than the surgery! They gave me morphine to make it better but doing a wee was painful for about three days. That is now better.
I hate taking antibiotics because of side effects, but I suppose we can't be without them either.
I had a dreadful thought though; what if the stitches open up AGAIN???
Thanks btw.

Jacksmania Sat 23-Feb-13 02:38:09

Shine, when I had my first op (vaginal repair, four years ago) my surgeon told me I had to have salt baths every day, definitely one, two per day would be better. She said I could use kosher salt or any old table salt. (I think, this feels a very long time ago now.) it was to help prevent infection. So twice a day I got in a very hot tub with two big handfuls of kosher salt in, and soaked for 15 mins. I also added big dollops of lavender essential oil and tea tree oil. Blow dried my bits after. Nothing got infected so maybe it helped or I got lucky.
After my second op (perineal repair) I didn't do salt baths as we were having our entire house renovated and I had no tub, and my stitches got infected. So I swear by salt baths.

Did the Dr say why your face was swollen?
Poor you sad - what a shit time you've had.

Jacksmania Sat 23-Feb-13 02:41:29

I'm a bit grumpy today because I have my period, my cycles are all over the map and this one was 24 days hmm and surprised me at work. I suppose I must be working towards being resigned to having a hysterectomy, as my first thought was "bloody hell - oh well, hopefully not too many more of these!" grin

Insecure24 Sat 23-Feb-13 09:02:00

I had salt baths several times a day and after every poo (at home, harder elsewhere!) I rinsed myself with the detachable shower head. Oh and consultant said don't use loo roll its too rough, use baby wipes as they have aloe in which is lovely and soothing. smile

Jacksmania Sat 23-Feb-13 15:25:31

I used, and still do, loo roll with a squirt of aloe vera gel on it. My poor tender abused bum was very grateful!

shine85 Sat 23-Feb-13 18:47:59

I always thought using the baby wipes would not be good for the stitches...? Otherwise, if love to give it a go. X

EauRouge Sat 23-Feb-13 19:03:49

I was told to use baby wipes too. Remember not to flush them though, they clog up the pipes.

cravingcake Mon 25-Feb-13 12:23:00

How's everyone doing?

I have finally got my appointment for my gynae consultant, 25th of March, so another 4 weeks of waiting but I may be able to get in sooner if there's any cancellations.

shine85 Mon 25-Feb-13 13:39:43

That's great, craving! Sucks you have to wait that long, but at last you're in!

Some people, including my mum, have said that when stitches start to itch it's a sign of healing and the skin coming together. Well, I'm ten days post op and I don't feel any itching. I'm slightly concerned now. Does itching occur for everyone?

EauRouge Mon 25-Feb-13 14:26:49

I itched like crazy, I expect it's different for everyone though. Have you had a look in the mirror yet?

Craving, glad you got your date, fingers crossed for a cancellation.

Jacksmania Mon 25-Feb-13 16:13:05

I never itched shock - can you imagine wanting to scratch a freshly reassembled fanjo????

EauRouge Mon 25-Feb-13 17:02:51

It's not much fun, Jacks, all you want to do is scratch but when you do it hurts like hell! Mine was so bad after having DD1 I was convinced I had thrush.

Jacksmania Mon 25-Feb-13 20:41:54

shock <clamps legs together>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now