The 5:2 Thread number 21! Soaking up the Sunshine

(978 Posts)
BetsyBell Tue 04-Jun-13 09:04:46

The continuing thread for those of us following either the 5:2 diet or the alternate-day fasting diet.

The 5:2 diet was featured on Horizon in August 2012, and essentially requires you to fast for 2 non-consecutive days per week. The other 5 days, you can eat what you like, or approximately your TDEE (see explanation below). Alternate-day fasting is just how it sounds; you fast every other day. By "fasting", we mean that we keep our calorie consumption very low, around 500 calories on average for a woman, 600 for a man, on those days.

You'll find on these threads we use a number of acronyms. If you're new to the threads, or Mumsnet in general, they might not make much sense.

WOE/WOL = Way Of Eating/Way Of Life. We use this term instead of "diet" as many of us see this as something to do in the long term.

MFP = My Fitness Pal, a website many use for keeping track of the number of calories they're eating.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure, quantifies the number of calories you burn in a day. This measure is best estimated by scaling your Basal Metabolic Rate to your level of activity. TDEE is critical in tailoring your nutrition plan to desired fitness goals. Here is a link to a calculator to help you figure out how many calories you should be eating in a day.

ADF = Alternate-day Fasting, as it says on the tin, fasting every other day rather than 5:2.

NFD = Non fast day

Michael Mosley has a website to accompany his new book on the subject. Please go check them out, as he's the whole reason most of us are here!

I know a number of people lurk on this thread, as this is currently quite popular. Please just jump in and post if you're new- you'll find a lot of support here.

Here is a list of links to get you started with this way of eating. Please let us know if you find a new article or some other information online:

First things first, here are links to some of our previous threads: most recent one before that another one!

Another thread which breadandwine has started is a good resource for some of the links and tips that get lost in these big threads. In addition to sharing links, we try to condense some of our top tips for fasting there. Keep in mind, we all do this differently, so these are just tips, not rules. This might be a good place to catch up with us if you're feeling a bit lost!

frenchfancy has a recipe thread over here, please post any low-calorie recipes there so they don't get lost in these bigger threads!

If you've been at this a while and are moving on to maintaining your goal weight, there is a thread here to discuss that.

Here is the link to the BBC article regarding Michael Mosley's findings, which was featured on Horizon.

There's a link to the aforementioned Horizon programme here.

A blog post here gives some of the scientific explanation for why this way of eating helps you to not only lose weight, but improve your all-around health.

A Telegraph article which comments on the diet and gives a brief overview by Dr Mosley himself, very informative if you're just starting. (I highly recommend this for an overview)

A study discussed here gives commentary specifically addressing the effect of this diet on obese people (both men and women), with regard to both health and weight loss. ("After 8 weeks of treatment, participants had an average 12.5 lbs reduction in body weight and a 4 cm decrease in waist circumference. Total fat mass declined by about 12 lbs while lean body mass remained relatively constant.) it also mentions "Plasma adiponectin, a protein hormone that is elevated in obesity and associated with heart disease, dropped by 30%. As did LDL cholesterol (25%) and triglycerides (32%).")

Something to consider if you are currently your ideal BMI: this appears to suggest the benefits for women at a lower BMI might not be seeing the same health benefits that are found on men at their ideal BMI.

A BIG THANK YOU to all who have been contributing, btw. Most of us are learning this way of eating as we go along. All of the links above have been posted by others in our previous threads, and they've been very helpful. Sorry if I haven't given credit where it's due, but it was just enough of a job getting all the links re-copied and back into one post.

Come join us, and tell us about your experiences with this diet!

JB30 Sun 23-Jun-13 21:07:01

Arg on wrong blooming thread grin

JB30 Sun 23-Jun-13 21:05:30

Epic nfd - 2123 cals, horse! FD tomorrow obviously, with jog planned before work. Nice to have a plan. Finding myself in a pattern of 16:8 before FD, so effectively 2 x 16:8, albeit one day piggy, one day pigeon. Looking at my holiday resort seeing checking out whether there's a decent place to run, might check out some tennis too. I'm thinking 16:8 might be my best bet for the 10 days away, v keen not to do my usual 10 pound holiday gain! Be a first if I can at least maintain.
20 days to go!!! Or 6 fasts in 5:2 language

Talkinpeace Sun 23-Jun-13 16:04:28

Childish?
Moi?
Never : but I beat the rest of you to post on the new thread. grin
Time for another wine

BetsyBell Sun 23-Jun-13 15:59:15

Ok folks, this thread's nearly full so I've started up a new one here

I'm taking on the lovely Greeneggs OP duties for a bit as she's off gallivanting and this time I've remembered to credit her awesome OP text. thanks See you there grin

BetsyBell Sun 23-Jun-13 15:47:03

I am prepping one - new thread up soon, was banking on it not moving too fast today wink

ELR Sun 23-Jun-13 15:45:00

Well feeling very full, just broken my fast (18 hours)with a trip to our local Indian restraunt followed by a 99 ice- cream. May not bother to eat again until the morning!

Talkinpeace Sun 23-Jun-13 15:32:11

New Thread : Tannoy for GreeneggsandNichts as all of the threads were done by her apart from this one ....

virginposter Sun 23-Jun-13 15:01:04

Is anyone preparing a new thread as this one is getting full?

JB30 Sun 23-Jun-13 13:39:16

Just broke my 16 hour fast with steak and wedges - yum. Felt it a bit too early for vino (normally have a later lunch of a Sunday) so was v virtuous with a sparkly water - although I've set myself with a tapas tea which will more defo include my Sunday glass or two
It was an ok morning, brought the young 'un shopping, tried on a few bits but wayyy too lumpy bumpy and have decided to hold off until I drop a stone, it's going to be hard but I need to focus on results, wardrobe full of clothes I can't wear, something to strive towards.

I saw them in Tuesday, I thought Ollie was fab- definitely the best support act I've ever seen! Robbie's last 3 songs just made the night for me, the fireworks during Angels. His ego seems to be getting bigger as he gets older though!

frenchfancy Sun 23-Jun-13 11:44:40

V jealous of you Robbie/Ollie lot. I don't supposed they will ever turn up in rural France.

I ended up doing a <500cal day yesterday, but no by choice, I had some bug/food poisonning. Feel OK today, tough a bit weak. So this week will end up not only as 4:3, but I didn't drink Friday (picking up DDs from and end of school party) or Saturday. I might make that 10stone yet!

Bramblesinforrin Sun 23-Jun-13 10:25:38

Opposite us then smile. Trying to remember which acdc song he did. Whole night was fab.

ceebeegeebies Sun 23-Jun-13 10:10:53

We were sat to the right of the stage really really high up -good view though smile Olly definitely reminds me of a young Robbie -proper stage presence and energy. In fact I think one of my fave songs last night was Kids even though I am not a big fan of that song generally - definitely prefer Olly to Kylie grin

SoTiredAgain Sun 23-Jun-13 10:10:06

brambles and ceebee. Glad you had a good time.

House full of fragile people today including me. We've already had tears and tantrums and that's just from the adults. grin.

18:6 today. First one. hmm. Hope I can last.

Bramblesinforrin Sun 23-Jun-13 09:40:47

Hi ceebee, I thought they were absolutely awesome. Had a fab time with my buddies. We were seated up to the left hand side of the stage as you looked at it, so felt very close. Loved the Ac/dc number he did. He has got such magnetism. Olly was amazing - had the chutzpah of a young Robbie.

No fasting until tomorrow. Didn't keep the fast up yesterday as I wanted to ensure I had a linng on my stomach for the concert cider! I've bounced back up to my target, which is great. All the dancing last night has helped to keep it at that I'm sure (although not sure about what the cheese and bread snack at 2am after the atrocious traffic delayed our return did!).

Good luck for any fasters today.

ceebeegeebies Sun 23-Jun-13 09:29:27

Morning all smile

Had a fab night last night - Robbie and Olly were both amazing - as a long-standing Robbie fan (at least 20 years - he was always my fave in Take That), he was definitely back to his best. He didn't sing 'No Regrets' though which is a shame as that is one my fave songs! Brambles what did you think?

Peplum which gym have you joined? Don't forget that you need to incorporate weight training aswell as cardio (Body Pump classes are always good). Am off to the gym myself shortly but am knackered as only had 5 hours sleep last night <yawn>

Went to Gourmet Burger Kitchen for tea - had a blue cheese burger which was delicious plus a large glass of wine and all guilt-free grin

Have a nice day everyone smile

OK, maybe not the first way though that seems to work on iPhone!

virgin if you're on a phone or tablet I think you can just do the [[ emoji then ]]

like ??

on a pc you're can copy it from certain sites or look up the code, which is more of a faff!

virginposter Sat 22-Jun-13 23:33:34

Oh, the emoticons question was for Eagle

virginposter Sat 22-Jun-13 23:32:02

dines have you tried wraps. You can buy them in most supermarkets in either white or brown. As I have a yeast intolerance I don't eat bread so I have one for lunch with either ham or chicken and lots of salad (with avocado) plus a hard boiled egg and tomatoes on the side, followed by an apple - yummy. Sometimes I will have tinned salmon and salad wrap but you can put in whatever you like.

I love those new emoticons - where do they come from??

dines Sat 22-Jun-13 21:44:23

eaglerider well done on completing ur squat challenge. . Iv seen thay advanced on the net. Was it tough? And do u c a difference after doing it?
sotierdagain im normaly home for my lunch and thats all I really have to eat for lunches.. but really fancy something different other then bread. All this time iv been tryin to get bk on track iv been putting weight on.. feel really disappointed with myself.. I got.to my goal weight and went off track from there. Hopfully ill have a good week this time.

JB30 Sat 22-Jun-13 21:39:08

Yep sotired same as me, last morsel stray creme egg snaffled at 9, now done til 1pm tomorrow. Works quite well I've found. Boy oh boy, just finished about 700 cals of pointless feeding but so what, I enjoyed it, today's my 2000 cal day, do I sound convincing???

ELR Sat 22-Jun-13 21:38:33

sotired yes that right. I had last meal and cuppa at 7pm so won't eat until 11am tomorrow at the earliest.

Hasywell Sat 22-Jun-13 21:26:10

Well done to all Fasters this week - just want to share: 10.13!!!!!!! It has been a long time since 10 something has shown on scales! Total weight loss is now 30lbs since January! Suddenly being around 10 stone @ 5ft 7 seems a possibility again!
Have a super weekend all.

SoTiredAgain Sat 22-Jun-13 21:10:32

You lot have inspired me to try 16:8. So just finished my snack at 9 pm and I won't eat till 1pm. Is that right? I then eat normally for the rest of the day? Is that also right?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now