'What the caterpillar perceives is the end, to the butterfly is just the beginning.' Our journey after Beatrice

(794 Posts)

Beatrice died on 24th October aged 1 year, 1 month, 1 week and 1 day. She was buried on 2nd November. As she starts her new life as a butterfly, we are left on the ground feeling bewildered and bereft. I read a short piece at her funeral, and I stand by it:

'I often felt that being Beatrice's mum was much like holding a butterfly. I was in awe of her beauty and felt so privileged that she had chosen to come to me. But, much like a butterfly, I knew that one day she would spread her wings and fly away.

When Beatrice was one day old, a kind stranger shared this poem with me, and it sums up how I feel about Beatrice:

"A butterfly lights besides us like a sunbeam. And for a brief moment its glory and beauty belongs to the world.
But then it flies once again, and though we wish it could have stayed, we feel so lucky to have seen it."

I feel so lucky to have been chosen as Beatrice's mum and I truly believe that the immense grief we must now suffer is still a small price to play for the love she brought into our lives.

Goodnight Beatrice'

I still feel her love in my heart, but I am struggling without her in my arms. I miss caring for her and kissing her. Looking at her and stroking her hair. Singing to her, always singing so many songs. I haven't sung a song since she died, but I don't want the music to leave my life as it means I have let the grief win.

Fly high little butterfly, but please don't forget all of us left behind who hold you, still so fragile, in our hearts and memories. Please don't forget me, Beatrice x

moajab Mon 14-Jan-13 22:48:18

Oh Cup there are no words except to say that I am thinking of you. And that I will never forget Bea. And I am in awe if the fact that even in the midst of your grief and pain, the love you have for Bea still shines through so strongly in your words. x

thewhistler Tue 15-Jan-13 18:56:04

Coming up to 7 again now, and thinking of your loving routine, very moving, very lovely.

Lots of love for you and the teaset, and I will think of you at this time.

LittlePebble Tue 15-Jan-13 19:18:02

Hi Cup I haven't posted for a long time but have been lurking. I

LittlePebble Tue 15-Jan-13 19:19:19

Sorry. Just wanted to say how often I think of you and Bea and how sorry I am for you all to have to miss her so. X

TCOB Tue 15-Jan-13 20:35:30

what a lovely routine. what an amazing family. what a good, magical, love-filled little child - what a poor world it would have been with her never having been here spreading her magic.

I was telling DH about your trip to Lourdes earlier. I loved the pictures of your 3 girls in the high meadows.

Hold those memories close Cup, and treasure what you had.

Thumbwitch Wed 16-Jan-13 03:05:45

Hi Cup
Haven't posted for a while but have been thinking about you. I hope your howling wilderness is starting to abate somewhat and your DDs are helping to show you that there are oases within it.

You are so strong, I know you can find the strength now to live without Bea as you did live with her. She is never gone, though - always with you and your family, in your hearts and minds.

Much love xx

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Wed 16-Jan-13 03:22:47

Hi Cup, I haven't posted in a while. I feel like everything I want to say to you will just annoy you and I don't want to do that. I do think of you pretty much everyday and wish I could bear some of this pain for you. Good Luck for Thursday, lots of love & strength xxx

MNPin2013 Wed 16-Jan-13 23:43:50

Such a lovely bedtime routine Cup.

CaroleService Thu 17-Jan-13 14:29:30

Oh Cup.

((((()))))

I wish I had more and better words.

thewhistler Thu 17-Jan-13 19:12:38

Thinking of you.

Somersaults Sun 20-Jan-13 11:01:37

Just stopping in to say that you are often in my thoughts and prayers xx

bumpybecky Sun 20-Jan-13 11:04:19

still thinking of you Cup xx

thewhistler Sun 20-Jan-13 18:54:40

Thinking of you at the difficult loving time, Cup

((Hugs))

CarrieDon Tue 22-Jan-13 09:54:51

Remembering your lovely little girl the hoping you're finding life bit more bearable. xx

eightytwenty Tue 22-Jan-13 13:13:17

Cup. Keep thinking of you, bea and the teaset. Dont post as often as I should. But please don't think you're forgotten. Hope you had some snow fun this weekend. Your 7pm routine with bea sounds so lovely. No wonder you miss it.

Lilithmoon Tue 22-Jan-13 18:59:02

I don't know what to say, but I think of you and your family often. x

thewhistler Wed 23-Jan-13 19:26:49

Cup, remembering you in these dark days

ohmeohmy Wed 23-Jan-13 20:00:04

I too think of Bea, she is not old news at all. I thought of her today when my dd spoke of butterflies dancing on a mountain top. It is a long and sometimes lonely road you are on, somewhere along the way you will find joy again in the meantime there are many people her who will listen to anything you wish to say.

Still here. Thinking of you and remembering your Beatrice

Moominsarehippos Wed 23-Jan-13 20:11:04

Beatrice has become a bit of a Mumsnet 'legend'. Her picture pops into my mind (what a sweetie) often when I am feeling contemplative, and if I'm in church, I say a little extra prayer for her.

She has touched so many people - and we haven't even met her, so I can only imagine what a beautiful spirit she had to those who knew and loved her. We won't forget her and her story, and that is a very special thing - thank you for sharing such a private and precious thing with us all

You should be proud that your little girl has touched so many people.

Not sure if I am spiritual, but someone once told me that my late fathers 'job' in heaven/beyond/whatever you call it, was to meet the new young spirits and get them 'adjusted'. He would have adored to meet Bea - all us girls in the family looked similar to little Bea.

Thank you for remembering her, it means so much. 3 months today since she left me. It's hard to picture her face some days, she seems so far away. The pain reminds me of her, at least when I am hurting I know she was real. Sometimes I think I dreamed her up, like I never could have been given such a beautiful gift, how could she have been real? People don't talk about her, so she feels even more dream-like, as if my memories are just products of my imagination. I love it when people talk about her but I know it makes them sad and uncomfortable, so they don't.
Dh took a picture of her grave today as I can't bring myself to go there. It is covered in snow which she would have hated. She didn't like being cold, and when we gave her some snow to hold last winter, she was not impressed! I hope she's not ashamed of me, that I don't go to her grave. I tell her I'm sorry, that my hurt bruises and twists when I go there, that Daddy is better than me. I hope she forgives me for being selfish.
I sleep clutching one of the last dresses she wore. It hasn't been washed, but it doesn't smell of her anymore. Those scents are long gone- banished into Forgotten, where I'm not allowed to visit.
Bad day today.

ohmeohmy Thu 24-Jan-13 19:15:44

You don't need to go the grave to be near her, it doesn't make you anything less than your DH or any less loving as her mum. She would never be ashamed of you, you were the perfect mother for her.be kind to yourself.

eightytwenty Thu 24-Jan-13 19:15:52

It's still early days cup. Please be as gentle on yourself as you would be to others. You don't need to visit a grave to remember. My mother still can't visit my father's grave on her own - 10 years later.

Last night I stayed with family who had a twin who died at birth 12 years ago. For the first time ever I asked them about him. Maybe your family and friends don't want to upset you, but I bet they always remember as I do my cousin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now