2nd dry night for ds 7.4. Is this it?!

(550 Posts)
Whereisegg Sat 26-Apr-14 10:48:46

Ds has had very few dry nights in his life, and even fewer of these have been in a row.

At 5 he had his HUGE (surgeon said biggest he'd seen) tonsils and adenoids removed due to sleep apnea.
Dr had mentioned that his brain was so concerned about keeping him breathing, it didn't care if he wee'd but that this would likely resolve itself after surgery.
It did, for 3 nights.

Fast forward a couple of years solid of brick-heavy pants every morning (and occasional wet beds too despite pants), we are on our second morning in a row of bone dry pants.

I don't want to be too outwardly excited at home in front of ds as he can't control it, so I want to be excited here please!

Could this be it, or just a lucky streak?

Whereisegg Mon 28-Apr-14 22:00:36

angry sad
We are SO lucky that ds's best friend was also late in pants, so on the couple of occasions he/we have stayed over (dp and I close to hos parents) it just hasn't been an issue.

Your poor ds though.
That terrifies me tbh.

Lemonsole Mon 28-Apr-14 22:03:51

Still, this was your lovely "we're on the up" thread!

Fingers crossed for dry nights or dainty sprinkles all round. Hugs to everyone's DCs who are still addressing this. One day their capacity to sleep deeply will be a blessing and no longer a source of soggy duvets wink

Whereisegg Mon 28-Apr-14 22:07:29

Reeeeeeally fighting the urge to lift him when I head up to bed shortly.

It won't help him, it won't help him, it won't help him...

Whereisegg Mon 28-Apr-14 22:08:19

And may all our days be sunny to get those sheets dry grin

Lemonsole Mon 28-Apr-14 22:12:42

Yes, step away from the lift! The key is in their getting the hang of waking when their bladder is full. DS's first dry one was such an anticlimax, as he assumed that his alarm had gone off, that we had prodded him off to the loo, changed his pants, and put him back to bed, as we had been doing every night for three weeks. He was amazed when I told him that no alarm had gone off and that nobody had been in. He never has any recollection of any of it.

Never have I been so proud of a puddle of wee on the bathroom floor smile

Lemonsole Mon 28-Apr-14 22:15:40

... And may the days of the "thunk" of pull-ups of gallons of wee be numbered. grin Night! Off to bed now - though I know that I'll be listening like a hawk for him, whether it's the alarm or feet padding down the landing.

Whereisegg Mon 28-Apr-14 22:15:56

I'm quite pleased it's no help to lift tbh, he's hardly portable anymore!

Lemonsole Mon 28-Apr-14 22:17:01

Yes - and a seven year old can wee out more than a blimmin horse, it seems at times. Yum.

Whereisegg Mon 28-Apr-14 22:17:01

See you in the morning I guess, fingers crossed for us all smile

Whereisegg Mon 28-Apr-14 22:17:56

That 'see you in the morning' seems creepier typed out grin

Whereisegg Tue 29-Apr-14 07:33:22

Another morning of wet, but light pamts here smile

Lemonsole Tue 29-Apr-14 09:50:59

Dry here. shock That makes five. Still can't really believe it.

Good to hear another light one, Egg: onwards and upwards!

Whereisegg Tue 29-Apr-14 09:53:50

Five is a whole hand, he's a whole hand dry! grin

Lemonsole Tue 29-Apr-14 14:41:36

He's got his eye on the magic week. Keep trying to stress that we're totally proud, even if the run doesn't last. Do difficult to get the balance right between expectation management and pride, when waking or not waking is totally beyond their control.

He's keen to go commando ASAP. Gulp. Think we'll aim for ten consec dry nights first. But the idea of not paying bloody Dry Nites (did a product ever have a less appropriate name?) 50 p a night is a lovely one.

Lemonsole Tue 29-Apr-14 21:57:25

Alarm already gone off; DH took ages to wake him. Rats. He'll be gutted. hmm

Whereisegg Wed 30-Apr-14 07:45:30

Oh no sad

Lightest pants that aren't dry yet here.

Whereisegg Thu 01-May-14 07:14:13

I hope your ds wasn't too disheartened lemon?
It is so hard to grt them to reeeally believe it's not their fault.

We have dry pants here this morning smile , I hope that you do too!

feetheart Thu 01-May-14 07:25:43

Might be worth going commando with a bed mat thing instead of a pull-up. The ones that stick on are great. A bit like not using pull-ups when potty training.
My tactic is to ask if DS needs a shower each morning - yes=wet, no=dry.
He is 8.5 and is almost there so there is hope smile

Whereisegg Thu 01-May-14 07:33:32

I can't get my head around no pants grin

thegreylady Thu 01-May-14 08:23:58

My dgs is 7.7 and still has many wet beds. They are waiting for a referral to an enuresis clinic. If he is lifted by his dad he is usually dry but they have been told to stop this as his brain has to learn to wake him up. If they are away he is always dry!

thegreylady Thu 01-May-14 08:24:57

He stopped wearing pullups at 5 and has the pads.

Whereisegg Thu 01-May-14 08:26:40

Yes it is so tempting to lift them as it often helps them to still be dry in the morning, but I certainly agree it doesn't actually help them learn to be dry!

Have they checked out the eric website for advice?

Whereisegg Thu 01-May-14 08:28:44

We have tried without pants sporadically, but it just meant everyone was tired from being up in the night and stressful in winter trying to dry bedding every day.
Ds chose to go back in pants.

feetheart Thu 01-May-14 09:44:20

If he chose to use pants then go with it.

I have tried to let DS have as much control as possible. Last June/July (at 7.7) it was starting to be bother him so I talked it over with the school nurse and shared her information with DS. He really took the advice onboard (he started a diary, he chose to ditch the pants and he is far more likely to remember not to drink blackcurrant/fizzy stuff 2 hours before bedtime than I am!) and, although it has been slow progress, we are nearly there - the smaller wees are all part of it smile
DS has been on at least 3 Beavers sleepovers and has dealt with his pull-ups on his own (inspite of DH being there as assistant Beaver leader) - a carrier bag and a big wash bag worked well. He wasn't the only Beaver doing it and I know of at least two in the Cubs pack he has just moved up to.

Apparently 10% of 10 year old boys are not dry at night. That's a huge number but no-one ever talks about it so you think yours must be the only one.

So glad to read this, ds1 is 8 and still not dry at night, it's starting to really upset him, his younger brother and sister have been dry since age 2 and 3 which adds insult to injury. Ds1 has frequent dry nights but not managed more than a week of consecutive nights and I can see no pattern confused. Was considering alarm but he is a very, very heavy sleeper so now I wonder if it's worth it....DH is getting very stressed about it all too now sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now