Boys names which can't be shortened. Help!

(205 Posts)
phantomhairpuller Wed 27-Feb-13 07:48:03

Really struggling to come up with a name for DS2 (due in a few weeks)
I like slightly older names, as does DH. But I've got a real thing about people shortening names! DS1 is Harry and there are a few people we know who insist on shortening it to Har <grrr> it drives me mad! So we're after a similar name for DS2.
Any suggestions welcome wink

doublecakeplease Wed 27-Feb-13 07:53:16

Jack, drew, Finn, Paul, wilf, Ben, Sam, Henry, George. John. Luke. Nial??

emmyloo2 Wed 27-Feb-13 07:54:00

We have a George and that isn't shortened.

What about Owen? Also not possible to shorten.

Hugo..

leaharrison11 Wed 27-Feb-13 07:59:03

Evan

kansasmum Wed 27-Feb-13 07:59:58

Eli.

Ewan, John, Mark, Fraser, Aaron, Ryan

TobyLerone Wed 27-Feb-13 08:01:13

Joe.

You do realise that people will give your child a diminutive name regardless of what you think? So John will likely become Johnny or Sam will become Sammy.

Ross, Sean?

phantomhairpuller Wed 27-Feb-13 08:09:04

Lovely suggestions so far, thanks. I really like Finn but DH not so keen. Joseph lined up as middle name. Jack is my DB and Sam is DHs nephew. Otherwise great grin

PrettyPirate Wed 27-Feb-13 08:12:59

I have Oscar and nobody has tried to shorten it yet. It's quite popular though..

Harry. Hugh or huw. Lee. Craig.

poppydaisy Wed 27-Feb-13 08:41:21

How about Quinn as an alternative to Finn?

MortifiedAdams Wed 27-Feb-13 08:42:57

Rex
Louis
Aaron

SanityClause Wed 27-Feb-13 08:43:16

So, if you call him John, people will lengthen it to Johnny. Is that sort of thing okay? Or is it just shortening you object to?

kmark Wed 27-Feb-13 08:44:57

I think these names also Eva, Eve, Sam, John, Eli can't shortened.

Leo, Mark, Adam, Liam, Lee, Vaughn, Paul, Tom, James, Ian, Luke.
Anything you like there?

Noah, Felix, Theo

Bowlersarm Wed 27-Feb-13 08:59:02

Any name with one syllable. A name with two syllables or more has the potential to be shortened even though you think it won't be. It may not, or it may. Eg a couple of posters have suggested Aaron-the only Aaron we know gets called Az! And James could be Jim. If shortening really upsets you think long and hard. Joe Ben Tom Dan etc are just about safe, but then they are often short forms in themselves

Toby
Rory
Ted
Ned
Joe
Jack

IDontDoIroning Wed 27-Feb-13 09:03:55

Lloyd Rhys

Blipbip Wed 27-Feb-13 09:04:01

I have a Jude, very hard to shorten on a boy

phantomhairpuller Wed 27-Feb-13 09:08:37

I like Rhys, James and Noah. I also like Dylan. Is that likely to be shortened? I don't object to ALL shortened versions of names but some really wind me up confused most likely due to DS being called Har by certain people! It's not even a name ffs!

Yakshemash Wed 27-Feb-13 09:11:20

I really don't think there's anything you can do about this. As others have said, your son's name will probably be shortened or changed no matter what you do. And it is completely harmless, after all.

(And it does tend to be the more popular boys who get this. Just saying.)

KittyLilith Wed 27-Feb-13 09:24:07

Dylan gets shortened to Dyl <bitter experience>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now