Sisters called Lois and Lana: first thoughts without reading other replies?

(167 Posts)
Geargrinder Sat 10-Nov-12 16:01:45

Just as the title says. What do you think of Lois and Lana as siblings? TIA.

Geargrinder Sat 10-Nov-12 18:32:25

Exactly!

Old older gentleman stopped my husband recently to ask where we got the name Lana from. He was a huge fan of Lana Turner and thought we were too young to have chosen "such a beautiful classic" grin

BOFisAlwaysUltra Sat 10-Nov-12 18:36:47

It is beautiful. And I do like Lois too- it actually makes me think more of Malcolm In The Middle's kick-ass mother than Lois Lane. And God knows, that woman is a role model for the modern day grin

Yika Sat 10-Nov-12 18:37:15

I didn't even think of superman! Lois makes me think of a Lois I knew at school, and Lana makes me think of Lana Turner. Just lovely. Great names.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 10-Nov-12 18:39:48

Sounds like you watched the young superman tv programme,Smallville?

Lois Lane and Lana Lang.

Fine names on their own,but not together.

VolumeOfACone Sat 10-Nov-12 18:40:06

Superman.

confuugled Sat 10-Nov-12 18:50:41

Superman/smallville too.

But I'd also worry caused by the confusion of having 2 Miss L Littlegeargrinders for incoming post, doctor's appointments etc. Much easier to have everyone in the family with a different initial!

mummybare Sat 10-Nov-12 18:55:49

Both nice names and no probs with them together. I'd get them mixed up, but that's just because I'm crap with names.

comixminx Sat 10-Nov-12 19:08:32

Also Superman. Mind you in the comics they were all LL's so you could also have Lucy (Lois Lane's sister), Lori (Lemaris, a mermaid that Superman fancied), Luna (Lumai I think: a girl from the future that he also fancied). And then of course there's the guys: Lex (Luthor) in particular. So you could have a nice long run of L names if you wanted! grin

I reckon that as your oldest is Lana, you would probably call them/introduce them as Lana and Lois, which doesn't give the connection as easily. And I think they are both nice names (although once had a friend called Lana who was quickly nicknamed by my dad as Lana the Banana, but I think thats more down to my dad than the name)

mathanxiety Sat 10-Nov-12 19:34:10

Lana and Katharine (Hepburn) -- classic and strong girls' names
Lana and Ingrid (Bergman) -- nice Northern European feel to this combo
Lana and Audrey (Hepburn) -- again, classic and strong names together
Lana and Vivienne (Leigh, though she spelled it Vivien) -- classic names again
Lana and Greta (Garbo) -- again, nice N European feel and both classic diminutives
Lana and Olivia (de Havilland) -- lovely, classic names
Lana and Rosalind (Russell)
Lana and Elizabeth (Taylor)
Lana and Sophia (Loren)
Lana and Rita (Heyworth) -- very Hollywood feel to this pairing imo

lovethesun1 Sat 10-Nov-12 19:34:44

Lois Lane! Do quite like Lana tho.

Puppypanic Sat 10-Nov-12 19:36:08

Mork and Mindy

MikeOxard Sat 10-Nov-12 19:39:04

Thet are nice names, lovely for sisters imo.

JollyGolightly Sat 10-Nov-12 19:41:27

Anagrams of soil and anal.

BOFisAlwaysUltra Sat 10-Nov-12 19:42:23

Well that's ruined them hmm

JollyGolightly Sat 10-Nov-12 19:43:50

Oh bugger have now read some of the thread. Sorry to give offence. FWIW I like Lana but DH vetoed it for the anagram reason.

autumnfrost Sat 10-Nov-12 19:44:12

cats

EugenesAxe Sat 10-Nov-12 19:44:22

A bit modern; fad-like. The alliteration also makes the names a bit Tweedledum and dee-esque.

If I met two children called Lois and Lana though, it wouldn't evoke much of a response. I think if you really like the names there's no major reason to not use them.

SecretNutellaFix Sat 10-Nov-12 19:47:33

Smallville/ superman

JudeFawley Sat 10-Nov-12 19:47:43

Alliteration is v naff.

diffo Sat 10-Nov-12 19:51:45

First Thought: Ok for twins

LizieBennet Sat 10-Nov-12 19:52:03

Superman!

Very pretty and go well together.

coldcupoftea Sat 10-Nov-12 20:10:18

I would think cool and quirky!

I wouldn't make the superman connection with Lana at all, and I think as the name Lois is getting more popular now (though still uncommon) I wouldn't immediately assume the parents were superman fans either.

Go for it! Far better than all the twee old lady names around at the moment grin

exoticfruits Sat 10-Nov-12 20:19:01

I just though that the post will be difficult when older-they won't know who it is for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now