not to want to be all lighthearted and forgiving about the troll invasion?

(249 Posts)

I don't get the 'fun' of invading another site and causing real upset to real people. I trust people on mumsnet and respond genuinely to them, and now I wish I hadn't - and that has upset me.

I'm sure this is going to get me labelled a humourless sourpuss over on CUK - but then I reckon I am already one of the "...rampaging horde of offended lardbuckets..." they refer to, or perhaps one of the ".... small clique of salad-dodging, vindictive, manic-depressive yet very vocal inadequates..." who is "...likely to go blubbing to the Admin if anyone does not treat them with kid gloves?..." (not that I did go to Admin, but hey, why spoil a good insult with facts).

nighbynight Mon 05-Apr-10 00:36:09

Bloody hell, how did I miss this whole thing? Because I am an IT contractor, and I was cramming a 40 hour week into 4 days last week! How on earth did these guys have so much time, do they not have jobs to go to?

Perhaps being an IT contractor myself, as well as a single mother, means that I would manage to get through their terribly complicated 3 step registration process, but I wouldnt want to post with all those flashing tickers and thingummies, and no swearing too...

Oops - pressed post too soon - I was going to wonder whether Shaunbhoy needs some time on the naughty step, to think about his behaviour? grin

Good points, Nick. smile

scottishmummy Fri 02-Apr-10 00:54:30

last marchey thing i went on was 2009 pride with the kids and pals

LeninGrad Fri 02-Apr-10 00:53:45

In amongst the angst obviously.

NickFitz Fri 02-Apr-10 00:53:42

@SDTG: Although I didn't participate in the CUK "holiday" (I don't really agree with trolling) I was aware of it happening and watched what was going on. To be fair, it was only one CUKer (CocoChantelle on here) who persisted even when people had made it clear that (s)he was upsetting them. He behaves like that on CUK too, and then insults those who complain about his rudeness and general incivility.

Anyway, FWIW, they won't be back: these things only ever last a day or two. Also, as it's the Easter weekend they'd be wasting their own time rather than the time they bill to clients.

And at least one of the "tourists" has started a genuine thread on here and might also be able to help others in the future (his son is disabled) so maybe some good will come of the whole thing in the end.

LeninGrad Fri 02-Apr-10 00:52:13

Excellent, all of the above, should be a laugh.

BitOfFun Fri 02-Apr-10 00:49:32

I may well be LG, a definite possibility...

scottishmummy Fri 02-Apr-10 00:48:54

whats that then does it involve alcohol,riposte,argy bargy?

LeninGrad Fri 02-Apr-10 00:37:00

Totally! You in for the feminism whatist?

scottishmummy Fri 02-Apr-10 00:36:31

ned bawbag laddies tappin on keyboard=no biggie

recreational talkin keech -most like mn in fact

BitOfFun Fri 02-Apr-10 00:31:19

Did you like my good karma quotations finishing off the thread of doom, Leningrad?

LeninGrad Fri 02-Apr-10 00:28:04

But I am drunk, the defence rests.

scottishmummy Fri 02-Apr-10 00:21:49

LOL,is that a cheesy song lyric

LeninGrad Fri 02-Apr-10 00:18:49

sm, I just want to reach out and touch your hand and make this place a better place if I can.

scottishmummy Fri 02-Apr-10 00:04:00

mn isnt immune to pram scams,trolls,sob stories. so some men beating the meat and taking the piss is unfortunately part of wider internet and mn noteriety.

HoppingHeather Thu 01-Apr-10 23:54:52

They are probably watching this thread and rejoicing.

scottishmummy Thu 01-Apr-10 23:48:30

if words on a screen wound so.log off dont converse with total strangers.the onus and responsibility for ones own welfare lies wholly with the individual. no people shouldnt be purposefully unkind or provoke.but on other hand, shit happens on internet

the trick is to understand anonymous tittle tattle and riposte.
dont personalise it
dont get stuck on she said/i said

I don't think I said that no-one's feelings must ever be hurt, SGB - but I do think it is wrong to deliberately hurt people's feelings in the name of 'fun'. I have no problem with a joke or prank, but when it starts to cause real offense or hurt, then it is time to call it a day, imo.

Instead, when the CUK chaps on the 'AIBU to feed my child crap' thread were told that they had upset people, they carried on, and piggybacked a second thread on that one, to carry on making the same 'joke', in the certain knowledge that they were causing offence.

It wasn't aimed at any particular poster in that no particular poster on this thread has been behaving like that. However, people exist who behave like that, which is why it's dumb to take the line that no one's feelings must ever be hurt.

Amapoleon Thu 01-Apr-10 23:09:02

The thing is Mumsnetters have done it themselves in the past. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

OK that makes sense. I haven't seen any over sensitive people around on the troll thread or this one expecting their feelings to be the center of the universe, so I was a bit confused.

MadamDeathstare - I suspect any poster who thought SGB's post was aimed at them would be seen as proving her point.

To me, it looks like a straw man - set up to be demolished.

TiggyD Thu 01-Apr-10 22:42:46

Part of me would like the other website to invade the forum I use the most. They would get torn to pieces.

The threads I saw of theirs did seem like obvious joke threads to me.

Which poster exactly is that aimed at SGB? because I haven't seen anyone on this thread matching that description.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now