to take the mick out of male colleagues who bring in shared food that their WIVES have made

(720 Posts)
morningpaper Sun 14-Dec-08 22:34:47

this makes me both scornful and slightly depressed and I resort to extreme sarcasm

Only last week I was nibbling lemon cake from a colleagues WIFE.

What IS that ABOUT?

AIBU?

ScottishMummy Wed 17-Dec-08 23:38:37

some top double entendres
my wife's muffin?
no need to knot your kecks -I retract my hot potato.

the op and subsequent pseudo-feminist/intellectual bellyaching about some one else exercising their volition,free will,motor skills to bake a cake has been amusing whimsy froth.

women's emancipation isn't compromised if someone else burd is a dab hand in the kitchen

Libraloveschristmas1975 Thu 18-Dec-08 08:39:08

"And Habbs, you might agree that the 'oh do stop fussing, it's only acake/pole/blackandwhiteminstrel'approach tends to have an agenda, and one which is by and large conservative? "

It was me onebatmum who equated your above statement with comparing cake-making with racism. I acknowledge you didn't mean it but the way you phrased it to me seemed as if stamping out wife baked goods in the workplace was up there with getting rid of racism.

I have to admit I am still in the light-hearted mode of this thread and some of the comments I have not fully understood but as someone who is about to fix their tumble-drier as there is a burning smell coming from it, refuses to iron and is quite able to put up Ikea flat pack furniture all by herself but who was paid less than her male colleagues for doing the same job I think there are more important woman issues still to be fought rather to get too het up over the fact I sometimes (once last year) made too many brownies and sent them into my DH workplace. Sometimes male/female might do something that is a gender-typical activity and you know what I think that's ok as we are different genders. Sometimes it occurs to me to bake a cake and sometimes it occurs to my DH to stay up to 3am in the morning playing PS2 and sometimes women vastly over-think things that men wouldn't give a second thought to apart from "yum".

spokette Thu 18-Dec-08 08:59:43

I baked biscuits for my team (all men). They were very gratefulsmile.

If my DH wanted me to bake biscuits for his team, I would do it without hesitation.

Threadworrm Thu 18-Dec-08 09:20:46

Oh, if you haver a spouse going through the RAE wank you are allowed to make them as much cake as they need for their blood sugar levels to withstand the sheer pointlessness of it all.

Threadworrm Thu 18-Dec-08 09:30:44

DH's dept got a 5* last time and the university used it as a pretext to cut funding -- you are doing so well you clearly don't need support.

He was pleased this year to have done less well.

onebatmotherofgoditschilly Thu 18-Dec-08 09:33:49

We-ell. The argument wasn't about whether wife-baked cakes are as bad as racism. It was about whether they are an expression of sexism, or not.

And I do think that getting rid of sexism is up there with getting rid of racism - I think we all do. Which is why, despite the apparent ridiculosity-ness of a heated debate about cake, it was a heated debate worth having.

However, I've now lost the will to care, having remembered that last night I should in fact have been baking cakes for ds' Christmas party, and not battenburging down the hatches of feminism etc etc.

So I think we should all gateauxver ourselves grin

Threadworrm Thu 18-Dec-08 09:36:37

lolol at puns. What's the best temperature for a heated cake debate? My heated cake debates always get a bit burnt at the edges.

Dreyfus Thu 18-Dec-08 09:39:05

Well, because of this thread I baked 48 mince pies yesterday for DH to take to his sports fixture to share with all his male mates. I'd been going to buy them, but after reading these demented posts I felt I simply had to stand up for the rights of Woman - her right to do whatever the hell she wants, including spending three hours baking for the man she loves!

It was my own little Emmeline Pankhurst moment, and I thank you deeply, MN (so does DH. The mince pies went down a treat he says, and he added, 'please can you get her annoyed a bit more often, I've got another fixture next week.)

Threadworrm Thu 18-Dec-08 09:39:16

I can't bake and DP can't drive or climb ladders. We are both smugly ungendered by virtue of our general incompetance.

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Thu 18-Dec-08 09:46:59

Oh this thread is wonderful. I need to stop doing things in RL so I don't miss these threads.

I am still wiping tears from my eyes after Hecate's "If he beats her with a whisk until she's created a taste sensation" reminds me of Victoria Wood.

onebatmotherofgoditschilly Thu 18-Dec-08 09:49:45

LOL

And we've also had bottom-beating with a rolled up copy of the LRB!

Bring on Mrs Overall and 'Is it on the trolley?'

onebatmotherofgoditschilly Thu 18-Dec-08 09:51:39

sports fixture is making me laugh now. It's the male version of taste sensation.

onebatmotherofgoditschilly Thu 18-Dec-08 09:54:33

someone called me onebatmum

now I'm thinking about sports fixtures and bisto, combined in one ginormous ad for Seventies wives and the food they make for their menfolk

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Thu 18-Dec-08 10:01:24

I know it's Christmas OBM but I think you need to lay off the sherry, or lay on the sofa..

onebatmotherofgoditschilly Thu 18-Dec-08 11:07:58

wilco

love onebistomum

Swedes Thu 18-Dec-08 11:12:32

Scone too far this thread.

Threadworrm Thu 18-Dec-08 11:17:40

Hope its sachertorte morningpaper a lesson.

Dreyfus Thu 18-Dec-08 11:23:40

Gat-Eau ver yourselves! (couldn't resist a bun, I mean a pun.)

Doughnut write any more about cakes, please, it's getting silly now.

Dreyfus Thu 18-Dec-08 11:32:26

Don't get in a flap, Jack.

I'm quite a good cake maker and I'm usually up for a bit of nooky when my man demands it - does that make me a Bake-Well Tart?

onebatmotherofgoditschilly Thu 18-Dec-08 12:08:02

[gin]

onebatmotherofgoditschilly Thu 18-Dec-08 12:09:15

<does victorious punch>

(say it quickly)

morningpaper Thu 18-Dec-08 12:14:27

TAXI

onebatmotherofgoditschilly Thu 18-Dec-08 12:16:53

It;s like frankenstein's monster, isn't it MP grin

Penthesileia Thu 18-Dec-08 12:21:30

Scottish Mummy said: "women's emancipation isn't compromised if someone else burd is a dab hand in the kitchen"

someone else's burd! ROFLMFAO. I can just hear you saying that, SM.

Don't know why, but that really tickled me.

Ho ho ho. <wipes tear from eye>

Anyway.

Let them eat cake. (No doubt already been said, but I am too lazy to read whole thread)

Give pease pudding a chance. (Admittedly not a pastry product... Hmmm... Need to think harder).

Put it behind you. It's stollen the past. (Sean Connery accent required)

Ahem.

This is all a Betty Crock-er shit anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now