to wonder (obsessively) why someone would un-tag herself from a fb photo?

(141 Posts)
MerchantofVenice Fri 09-Sep-16 19:49:49

Just that, really. I posted a completely unremarkable, cute pic of my ds. I tagged my friend, because we spent the day with her and her girls. The pic was only of my ds - but it's quite normal to tag the people you were on the outing with, surely?

I just don't get it. I'm sure I did tag her - but now there's no tag on the post. What are the reasons for doing this? Is she ashamed of being my friend? ? She's commented on the pic, saying what a nice time we had at the park. .. So why remove the tag? Is this a thing? Am I going mad?

user1468841624 Fri 09-Sep-16 19:50:43

Um. Because you tagged a picture of someone who wasn't her?

I would untag myself too.

Rumpelstiltskin143 Fri 09-Sep-16 19:51:26

Perhaps she didn't want a random picture of your child on her Facebook.

abbinobb Fri 09-Sep-16 19:51:28

Maybe she was meant to meet someone else bit met you instead or something and didn't want them to know she wasn't really busy/sick?

MardyGrave Fri 09-Sep-16 19:51:56

It doesn't make sense to me to tag a photo when she isn't in it.

Maybe she takes child privacy more seriously than you and doesn't want all of her friends to be able to see a strangers child on her profile?

OlennasWimple Fri 09-Sep-16 19:52:28

I untag when I'm not in the photo too. Mention her in the post ("Lovely day at the park with @MyFriend today) rather than tag her in a photo of someone else

HomeShapedBox Fri 09-Sep-16 19:52:38

Probably because she isn't actually in the photo, or her child

Viiolettheorgangrinder Fri 09-Sep-16 19:52:57

Did you get lots of likes/comments that sent her facebook alerts off?

TeaPleaseLouise Fri 09-Sep-16 19:53:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MinnowAndTheBear Fri 09-Sep-16 19:53:20

All your friends are "liking" it and she's getting bombarded with notifications, for a photo that's not even of her. Or she might have to review and accept each tag before it appears.

parrots Fri 09-Sep-16 19:53:50

Lots of people like to 'curate' their social media presence and are careful about how much they share. And if you've tagged her, the photo will presumably show up in her friends' news feeds. If she commented on the photo it's unlikely she's ashamed of being your friend.

RootTeeToot Fri 09-Sep-16 19:53:59

So would I. I have my settings so that nobody can tag me without me approving it. I wouldn't want all my friends to be looking at a photo of somebody else's dc.

And if any of your friends commented or liked the photo it would say 'Katie jones likes a photo of you on facebook'

FoxesSitOnBoxes Fri 09-Sep-16 19:54:19

I'd absolutely untag myself from a photo of someone else's children. She isn't being weird

LunaLoveg00d Fri 09-Sep-16 19:54:20

That is weird - the "tagging" thing is to identify the people in the picture, not to identify someone who may have been there and who may or may not have been aware the picture was taken.

I hate being tagged in random crap.

chickenowner Fri 09-Sep-16 19:54:21

I've untagged myself before, if I think the photo is unflattering!

JasperDamerel Fri 09-Sep-16 19:54:45

Because she keeps her Facebook security settings tight and you don't?

Because it's a picture of your DD and not of her?

Because she doesn't want all her FB friends to see a picture of your DD?

fitzbilly Fri 09-Sep-16 19:55:11

I would untag myself from a photo I wasn't in, as all my friends will see it and it's not relevant to them. Especially if it was a child.

parrots Fri 09-Sep-16 19:55:24

I was also going to suggest something along the lines of abbinobb's post

yoink Fri 09-Sep-16 19:56:35

She doesn't want a photo of your son to be tagged as her. If she left the tag, it would turn up in her timeline and in her photos as being a photo of her, and it's not is it?

TheGruffaloMother Fri 09-Sep-16 19:57:16

Absolutely loads of reasons a person might do this but I agree with PP...it can get very annoying being tagged into pictures of other people's kids, especially if it's done without an actual mention of the person you're tagging.

Runningupthathill82 Fri 09-Sep-16 19:58:53

I'd have untagged myself too, and I'd think it was utterly bizarre that you tagged me.

I don't understand why you'd tag someone in a photo when they're not in the picture. Just to say they were there? Why?

But then I don't tag places on my Facebook, or "check in" anywhere either, as I don't feel the need to tell people where I am or where I've been.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Fri 09-Sep-16 19:59:24

Because she's perturbed by seeing her name attached to an image of a 7 year old boy. As would I. hmm

ChicRock Fri 09-Sep-16 20:00:07

It's totally weird to tag a friend on a photo of your child. I would un-tag myself too.

Ameliablue Fri 09-Sep-16 20:00:42

My fb is set to just friends but when tagged it opens up posts to a wider audience. So I don't always accept tags

user1468841624 Fri 09-Sep-16 20:02:42

This reminds me of the time one of my weird, competitive now ex NCT friends tagged our NCT group in a photo of her 1 yo DS building a tower. We weren't even there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now