10 weeks to go & still no dress..

(101 Posts)

Aibu to Start to feel the panic?!
Lovely mumsnetters have helped me plan my budget wedding. Thing is still no dress I like.
Anything will do now. Doesnt even have to be from a bridal range.
Any ideas massively appreciated.

coffeeinbed Tue 29-Apr-14 17:09:50

10 weeks is a long long time.
Stop worrying.

What kind of wedding dress?

Mashoona88 Tue 29-Apr-14 17:10:51

I got mine with less time to go, try not to panic! I found it in a local vintage shop, but my mum needed to do a bit of seeing work to make it wearable! Keep an eye on eBay, refining the search to close distances so you can go check the dress out. Have you looked at preloved etc as well? This is assuming you want to keep budgeting!

Waswondering Tue 29-Apr-14 17:11:00

Colour? Length? Theme? Casual wedding? Formal with big hatted guests? Reception venue?

The ladies here will sort you out!

meringue33 Tue 29-Apr-14 17:11:24

Monsoon?

YouTheCat Tue 29-Apr-14 17:11:44

How much like a meringue? grin

Have you looked at hiring one?

Mashoona88 Tue 29-Apr-14 17:11:59

Sorry for over zealous exclamation mark use, I'm holed up inside with my toddler and have a touch of cabin fever

parakeet Tue 29-Apr-14 17:12:29

I bought mine from Debenhams. You could also try Monsoon and John Lewis.

You only need months and months if you're having one specially made.

Creamycoolerwithcream Tue 29-Apr-14 17:13:24

I was in the same situation many years ago, I had my final university exams 2 months before the wedding so concentrated on that. I then went to Dickens and Jones in London and mooched around the evening wear department and literally fell in love with the first dress I tried on. It was ivory but because it was classed as an evening dress it was probably a third of the price of a wedding dress. I think you have to try stuff on rather than looking online. Good luck.

Its a very casual wedding with a tiny chapel, parents, sibling, children only.

Followed by a British legion party a week later. Again casual, ploughmans etc.

Definitely have to keep budgeting, less than £1000 for the whole thing to spend.

CrohnicallyHungry Tue 29-Apr-14 17:15:49

Charity shops? There's one near me with a lovely range of bridal/bridesmaid/evening dresses. And most will only have had one previous wear!

Cookiepants Tue 29-Apr-14 17:17:37

Have you tried Oxfam bridal shops?

ThePartyArtist Tue 29-Apr-14 17:18:01

I have been doing similar research to what you're looking for and would suggest:
BHS
Debenhams
John Lewis
Monsoon
Coast
M & S
Phase Eight

I got my dress from a Cancer Research bridal shop. Oxfam also have them around the country. Try googling for charity bridal shops. Some in the shop were brand new, tags still on, and I was thrilled to find my dream dress for £50.

Also don't limit yourself to bride dresses, look at bridesmaids dresses too, they even come in white, cream, ivory etc.

There are websites online for people selling 'pre-loved' dresses. Also try Gumtree.

Don't be tempted by the shops in China which promise it made to measure, e.g. Light in the Box. They have ridiculously cheap prices but probably use slave labour, plus get terrible reviews re: accuracy of measurements, returns policy etc.

SorrelForbes Tue 29-Apr-14 17:18:59

I planned mine in a similar amount of time and actually changed my dress three days before the big day! What sort of thing have you got in mind?

AMillionNameChangesLater Tue 29-Apr-14 17:20:19

I wore a tea length dress, chiffon layed over the top. Size 14/16 i think. You're welcome to it. It didn't suit me at all, but we planned our wedding in 4 weeks and needs must

HennaFlare Tue 29-Apr-14 17:22:12

What size are you?

Mogz Tue 29-Apr-14 17:22:13

What size do you need Snow? I know a couple of people selling dresses at the mo.

Size? Preferred colour? £1000 for dress shoes, undies, jewellery etc? Length?

How tall are you, anything you want covered/accentuated?

how aobut a 50's style dress?
or a prom dress?

try vintage?

I'm a size 14. Not sure what style I like.. tried loads and none suit.
I meant £1000 for the whole wedding! Although that just for the dress would be luxury. smile

I'm 5.3ft and like shoulders on my dress. Dont mind the colour at all.

GarlicAprilShowers Tue 29-Apr-14 17:35:56

£48 topshop - also in lilac

GarlicAprilShowers Tue 29-Apr-14 17:36:24

£28 dorothy perkins - also ivory, and some others I think

GarlicAprilShowers Tue 29-Apr-14 17:36:30

£42 dorothy perkins, other colours

GarlicAprilShowers Tue 29-Apr-14 17:36:35

£60 dorothy perkins

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now