Are we being unreasonable

(121 Posts)
stinkypete71 Sun 09-Mar-14 09:08:28

Quite complicated this, basically my husband moved 3 hours away from his kids a year & half ago & we've had regular contact, we meet half way every 2 weeks and share the holidays, but his ex has recently had a baby & is now refusing to bring them every other weekend, it might settle down and get back to how it was before, it's just worrying as his daughter is only 9 and is feeling really down and just wants to see her dad. My husband was and is very close to her... any advice anyone?

Sixgeese Mon 10-Mar-14 14:01:08

That isn't that long a drive DBIL does that (and more) every other weekend to pick up his DC when it was his ExW who moved away (and he lost his midweek visitation and doesn't get any extra time during the holidays which was verbally promised prior to the move), but he does it willingly (not happily) even though it means having not having much spare cash as he wants to see his DC .

At Christmas he drove up and back almost every day for a week so the DC were with the right parent on the right day according to the visitation agreement which was written when they lived in the same town, you make sacrifices when you have children

Monetbyhimself Mon 10-Mar-14 13:41:36

Did you move with him or did he move to live with you OP ?

mymiraclebubba Mon 10-Mar-14 12:58:25

I appreciate that you don't wish to divulge financial stuff stinkypete however without at least an idea of why the only option was a move 3 hours away from his dd then I really do fail to see why it is anyone's job other than his to do the travelling.

As a couple you have moved away so you are the only ones at fault irrespective of what part of the debt was created by his ez

WooWooOwl Mon 10-Mar-14 11:00:47

Surely it would have made sense then, up until now when there is a new baby to consider, to have one parent doing the journey there, and one parent doing the way back?

At least that way the total door to door journey time would be reduced for the poor child in the middle of this that has to do a ridiculous amount of travelling eow. It's always going to take longer when there's a stop in the middle.

The DH should really see this as an opportunity to reduce his child's journey time and do the collection and drop offs himself so at Least the child doesn't have to waste time in a car park somewhere while her parents do the niceties.

tiggytape Mon 10-Mar-14 10:45:45

It is 3 hours from OP's house to the ex's house

Therefore it is a 3 hour trip for the driver just to go half way
1.5 hours driving, drop of the child/ren and then turn around and drive 1.5 hours back home again the way they've just come.

eightandthreequarters Mon 10-Mar-14 10:41:48

I'd be asking myself where we can find the extra petrol money. He has to see his daughter, so it's a matter of budgeting. But if his ex is going to stop the half-way arrangement, then your DH needs to come up with a solution. It's not fair to you, true, but he needs to see his DD.

I took it that the DD was travelling 45 minutes to get to Dad, then 45 minutes back to Mum. So it's 3 hours travel for the driver (1.5 hours for each round trip), but only 1.5 hours for the child. I could be wrong!

tiggytape Mon 10-Mar-14 10:41:37

YABU

When your situation changed they were reasonable in how they treated you. Your DH moved 3 hours away from his child but his ex went out of her way to ease contact by meeting him half way (a 3 hour round trip for her).

Now her situation has changed. She has a new baby. She obviously doesn't want the baby to do a 3 hour round trip. And she probably doesn't want her new partner to be away from home for hours on end leaving her alone with the baby at weekends when she's getting used to things and they want more family time together.

When your DH moved they did more than many people would in meeting you half way (literally). Now their circumstances have changed, you will have to put yourself out a bit more at least until things are more settled for them.

whattoWHO Mon 10-Mar-14 10:31:26

How many children does your DH have with his exW?
From your OP, there are more than one. How old? Could they get on a coach or train?

stinkypete71 Mon 10-Mar-14 10:12:29

3hrs

Monetbyhimself Mon 10-Mar-14 09:30:33

OP do you

a) live 90 minutes away from your partners child

OR

b) live 3 hours away.

CinnabarRed Mon 10-Mar-14 06:59:33

Look, the distance thing works like this:

- it is a 3 hour drive from OP's house to XW's house
- XW and OP's DP currently meet half way for handover, so a 3 hour round trip for everyone concerned (1.5 hours to the half way point, 1.5 hours back) including the DD.
- Drop off and pick up is therefore a total of 6 hours each time the DD stays with her Dad, 3 hours on pick up day and another 3 hours on drop off day
- XW is now saying she won't bring DD half way
- So, for the father, each trip becomes a 6 hour round trip: 3 hours to XW's house, 3 hours back
- for the DD the total travel time won't change - still 6 hours per visit
- for the father, the travel time per visit will double to 12 hours

maddy68 Sun 09-Mar-14 20:53:23

Jeez I travel that distance to work every day and back. Some people need a reality check!

NachoAddict Sun 09-Mar-14 20:31:31

I am really confused about the timing/distance.

Is it three hours from your house to dsd house so 6 hour trip each way for your dp or is it 1.5 hours to their house from yours so three hours drive each way?

Either way your dp moved so it is down to him to facilitate contact. Has he any family in his old area that he could spend time with dsd at? Also what age are the other children?

GingerMaman Sun 09-Mar-14 19:53:20

How old is their little baby? Maybe the baby has silent reflux or something of the sort, and they are just way too tired out

emptychair Sun 09-Mar-14 19:49:13

Just a glance into the future for you OP.

My DH and I moved 70 miles away from his DD when she was 9 due to financial reasons (crippling debt and needing to make choices for our own children meant we needed to move to a cheaper area). We have never asked or expected his Ex to do any of the travelling. It is an hour and 20 mins each way

We ran everything past DSD at the time, being age appropriately honest with her about what we were doing. She was quite happy, came to house viewings etc. All was fine for the year after we moved. Then she turned 10. Suddenly, she'd rather stay with her friends than come to us. One weekend (aged 13) she even refused to come once DH had arrived to collect her. Her mother's POV was we'd made our bed, lie in it and did nothing to help contact. There's been lots of angst despite DH doing his very very best to facilitate contact, always leaving the door open for her, helping her get herself out of corners during her teenage years etc etc.

Despite all this, we have not seen her since October. She is 16. No fallings out at the moment, she's just not interested in us.

I like my life where I live now and we have made good friends, and, while we need to live our lives for ourselves, if I could go back, I'd have tried harder to sort those finances to allow us to live in our old vicinity and not have moved so far away from her. No matter how legitimate our choices were, there are definite feelings of abandonment on her side and we can't chnage those no matter what we say to her.

greenfolder Sun 09-Mar-14 19:47:59

Well

I think the following words need to be deployed next time step dad brings her half way
Thank you
Its good of you
I appreciate it

That is all

maddy68 Sun 09-Mar-14 19:39:38

He moved away. He should travel to pick her up/see her. Sorry!

Foodylicious Sun 09-Mar-14 19:15:07

3 hr round trip for meet in the middle visits
= 3hrs from house to house,
any reason why DH can't drive over there & take her out for the day or spend time there if he gets on with ex ok?
that way no traveling time for DD

Glasshammer Sun 09-Mar-14 19:08:20

How olds the baby?

It may just be that the ex is exhausted with lack of sleep etc

Lj8893 Sun 09-Mar-14 19:01:25

Well yes, originally she said they lived 3 hours away which would make it 6 hours for the child in one day/weekend.

But then she said they only lived 1.5 hours away which would make it 3 hours for the child (but 6 hours for the father if he did all the driving).

mummydarkling Sun 09-Mar-14 18:58:19

I thought t was 1.5 hours to mid way point.

fluffyraggies Sun 09-Mar-14 18:55:34

I think we need the OP back grin

I take it as it being a 3 hour trip the whole way one way. So the child would have 6 hours in the car if she was going to her dads and back home in one day.

Lj8893 Sun 09-Mar-14 18:51:04

Its not 6 hours for the child?

1.5hrs from her house to her dads house.
1.5hrs from her dads house to her house (presumably the next day)

ikeaismylocal Sun 09-Mar-14 18:39:50

It is 6 hours for the poor child.

FunkyBoldRibena Sun 09-Mar-14 18:29:38

So it's a 3 hour round trip not a 6 hour round trip

No - it's a 6 hour round trip IF the husband has to do all the traveling...and an hour and a 3 hours round trip if they meet halfway...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now