Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Teachers! I have an excellent parents' evening tip for you.

(157 Posts)
OoozingCervix Wed 23-Oct-13 19:45:10

1. If you have a 10 minute slot and you are still talking after 25 minutes to a parent there is quite obviously an issue that needs to be discussed further at a later date.

2. May I suggest you get a timer? Put it on your table. Set it for 9 minutes. If after the allotted time you are still talking, hand over a card with your email on it and suggest the parent book a further appointment to see you.

IANBU.

LIZS Wed 23-Oct-13 19:46:48

Ours are run by strict buzzer, like speed dating !

parkin2010 Wed 23-Oct-13 19:48:23

Ermmmm..... do you think we really want to voluntarily sit there all night after working all day when we've got our own kids we are dying to see?? Blame those parents who don't get the hint to bugger off!! smile

OhYouWickedWickedWitch Wed 23-Oct-13 19:48:30

Dds school rings the school bell every time it's time to swap. Makes me jump and I'm a quivering wreck by the end of it grin

Euphemia Wed 23-Oct-13 19:48:30

Our school sets the school bell to go every ten minutes. Works a treat. smile

Snargaluff Wed 23-Oct-13 19:50:21

Parents! I have a hint for you! When I keep saying 'it was good to meet you' or 'thanks for coming'... What I really mean is sod off. We only have 4 min appointments so go away!

OoozingCervix Wed 23-Oct-13 19:50:43

parkin. you need a timer. and a buzzer.

I'm so unutterably frustrated I need gin.

phantomnamechanger Wed 23-Oct-13 19:50:45

we get 5 minutes, then a 2 minute change-over interval, big screen on the stage ticking down each slot, then a buzzer!

it's manic!

onefewernow Wed 23-Oct-13 19:51:05

I think parents evenings have improved since the days when we were given the children's seats to sit in.

chibi Wed 23-Oct-13 19:51:47

can i not just hide under my desk and gibber til they retreat

i am 87% kidding

BrianTheMole Wed 23-Oct-13 19:52:56

Ours uses the school bell. Its great, no hanging around.

Ragwort Wed 23-Oct-13 19:53:01

Teachers - I have a great suggestion for you, when a parent emails you, please be kind enough to take the time to reply. Thank you smile.

noblegiraffe Wed 23-Oct-13 19:53:06

I'm ace at parents evenings, I always run to schedule, even with five minute appointments.

It comes from being socially awkward and incapable of small talk. My more sociable colleagues always have a queue.

OoozingCervix Wed 23-Oct-13 19:53:15

25 sodding minutes Geography was with this one couple. That meant I missed Biology and English and by the time we got to see then the poo teachers were so hanging they couldn't be arsed to tell me how wonderful my PFB is.

Snargaluff Wed 23-Oct-13 19:54:08

I need this buzzer system at my school! Like speed dating!

Every school I have worked in has has Parents Evening in the classroom. Some parents just won't go!

OoozingCervix Wed 23-Oct-13 19:54:18

poor not poo. they weren't that bad.

Idislikemymil Wed 23-Oct-13 19:54:36

Haha. As always, blame the teacher for EVERYTHING.

Honestly, how many times can you say, 'thank you for coming, it was lovely to see you,' before the parent gets the hint!

Fakebook Wed 23-Oct-13 19:55:29

My dd's teacher told me "thanks for coming" and then stopped making eye contact! She's only just turned 24. Can't believe how assertive she was. She's a brilliant teacher.

flumposie Wed 23-Oct-13 19:55:40

And what are your tips for other professionals?

OoozingCervix Wed 23-Oct-13 19:56:14

then be firmer. stand up and say 'Your slot is finished, if you need more information please email me'.

MarshaBrady Wed 23-Oct-13 19:57:09

Bell at ds' school too.

Snargaluff Wed 23-Oct-13 19:57:10

Ok thanks for these hints.

OoozingCervix Wed 23-Oct-13 19:59:48

you're welcome.

parkin2010 Wed 23-Oct-13 19:59:56

I would get a telling off for a bringing a buzzer. Even though I would love to. 90% of parents are ok, it's the 10% who either don't get social norms and cues to leave and those who think their child is the centre of the universe. Prompting them to an email address is no deterrent it seems with some and you can hardly tell them to piss off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now