to think chorit-zo, pit-za, cras-ong and various other pronunciations are just a bit old school?

(207 Posts)
lessonsintightropes Tue 01-Oct-13 00:59:06

My DM uses all of the above (seriously, pit-za used to be acceptable for pizza some years past) including broccol-I, Keen-yah, rest-au-rong, choc-lit, turq-oissse, etc etc etc.

My DNep and D Niece take the piss out of her tonnes and to be fair it sounds very funny to their London ears. I just think for an old woman who grew up saying things a certain way it would be a bit mean to try and r-educate her.

What do you think? Do we need to try and get DM to say brocco-lee, Ken-yah, rest-oh-ron, choco-lat etc or should we just let it live, and giggle to ourselves? PS totally outing myself to any family members here smile

TheOpposibleThumb Tue 01-Oct-13 01:05:50

How do you pronounce these words OP?

AGnu Tue 01-Oct-13 01:11:12

I doubt you'll have any luck changing her! DH's parents insist on brocco-lye, pit-sa, see-ah-batta, lasan-yay... hmm I think they think I'm a bit thick because I frequently stare at them while they're discussing food as if I've never heard of such a thing as 'lasan-yay' purely because it takes me a moment or 2 to translate what they're saying! I then have to bite my tongue to avoid saying "Ooohhh, you mean lasan-yuh!" blush They're lovely... They just don't have a tv so aren't really exposed to how people outside their social circle say things!

Mandy2003 Tue 01-Oct-13 03:36:50

My Dad says "rest-rong" for restaurant. I'm sure that isn't the French pronunciation so where does it come from?

DropYourSword Tue 01-Oct-13 03:43:36

Does anyone else pronounce croissant like me...quas-ornt.

DameFellatioNelson Tue 01-Oct-13 04:26:26

I was qua-son. It's correct as far as I know. Pit-za and broccol-I would really annoy me.

I used to have a friend who said yog-ought, to rhyme with bought.

SatinSandals Tue 01-Oct-13 05:09:38

They don't really bother me. I find the way some people say 'almond', 'film' and 'privacy' are far more irritating.

daisychain01 Tue 01-Oct-13 06:46:34

The best pronunciation gaff I know was someone at work, pretending to be ever-so-posh-like, recounting the details of her dinner party and said that she served "a side salad, and dips with those cruddites".

daisychain01 Tue 01-Oct-13 06:48:10

My Friend's mum says croo-sont for croissant

livinginwonderland Tue 01-Oct-13 06:50:57

Well, how do you pronounce them?

Melonbreath Tue 01-Oct-13 06:52:17

I hate it when people sound as though they are adding an s and an extra y to luxury so it sounds like luxsssyury.
It really bugs me

ILoveAFullFridge Tue 01-Oct-13 06:52:23

Why be so rude and disrespectful to your dm - to anybody?

Euphemia Tue 01-Oct-13 07:06:39

Nothing wrong with "choclit": even the Oxford dictionary says the extra syllable is optional.

You understand what she means, so stop being such a snob.

luxemburgerli Tue 01-Oct-13 07:10:13

I'd leave her alone. Would you like your DC/grandchildren to be so disrespectful to you when you're old? Or would you prefer some understanding that the world has changed a lot in your time. Perhaps the grandchildren could actually learn something from their grandmother rather than "taking the piss out of her"!!

Dofanoisy potatoes anyone? Or sultanarty instead of sultanate. My sil smile

ithaka Tue 01-Oct-13 07:12:41

There really is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to pronounce words. Languages evolve and are tools for communication. If a word is understood, it is being said correctly. There is huge regional and social variation over how any number of words are said and no pronunciation is more 'correct' (including words that are foreign imports, before anyone starts saying we should base the pronunciation on the way the ord was said in the language it originates from - why should we?).

OP - you are as wrong as your family members are right & vice versa.

fieldfare Tue 01-Oct-13 07:14:39

Leave her be and tell your niece and nephew to stop being so disrespectful.

Bunbaker Tue 01-Oct-13 07:16:04

MIL annoys me when she pronounces Italian as EYEtalian. I keep telling her that it is offensive.

Euphemia Tue 01-Oct-13 07:18:50

No, what is offensive is using the "n" word in eenie, meenie, miney, mo. (MIL angry) That's the sort of thing to pull someone up on.

austenozzy Tue 01-Oct-13 07:29:38

i bet there are words that you pronounce incorrectly without knowing it. i cant bring myself to order 'brooshetta' or 'a panini' since i know better. but it doesn't bother me if other people say them.

Hey- don't think the op was being "rude and disrespectful"! She was suggesting these pronunciations were fine but old fashioned I think?

SoupDragon Tue 01-Oct-13 07:33:51

I couldn't care less TBH.

If it is obvious what someone is talking about, sneering at their pronunciation is pathetic - although, TBH, I've only seen this on MN.

RobotHamster Tue 01-Oct-13 07:35:20

How the fuck do you pronounce pizza then? confused

Also - get over yourself, you sound very judgemental

SoupDragon Tue 01-Oct-13 07:35:35

(Actually, XH used to sneer at my pronunciation of theatre but he is a twat)

Balaboosta Tue 01-Oct-13 07:37:30

Are you Henry Higgins? YABU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now