To rant about my children's now ruined brand new clothes?

(276 Posts)
D0oinMeCleanin Fri 02-Aug-13 15:31:27

I know I am BU but I am so pissed off I don't care.

My parents took my children camping at their expense for two weeks. This is awesome and I am incredibly lucky to have such a close and supportive family.

As the weather was hot and they've grown since last summer, I had gave them their holiday clothes for our holiday this year.

My parents have allowed them to go a play park in their brand, spanking new white shorts. They have not soaked the resulting stains as soon as they occurred, they've been through the wash twice with surf, vanish in wash and vanish spray on stain remover, nothing has touched it, they're now soaking in the sink with half water, half vanish. They're obviously going top need replacing angry

I know I am lucky that my kids got a free holiday and in the grand scheme of things they're only shorts, but I am so fucking annoyed that no-one thought to ask them to change into more suitable clothing for going to the park in the mud. They'd only worn the shorts once.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 02-Aug-13 15:57:49

Slightly off topic, but why do your DC's require a 'pub outfit'?!

What sort of pubs are you frequenting where they turn away kids wearing denim/dark coloured shorts?

Caboodle Fri 02-Aug-13 16:00:33

Yabu- free holiday! Also, white is fine (my boys wear lots of white, we use lots of bleach) but white with a pattern -uh oh

imnotmymum Fri 02-Aug-13 16:01:16

No she meant a going out outfit mine have them when we go camping

5318008 Fri 02-Aug-13 16:01:19

Think about why you like your girls in pale colours, why you get them flowing dresses. Examine your opinion, why ought they not get grubby, do you discourage physical play, v subtle stuff. Pink stinks etc.

UnexpectedStepmum Fri 02-Aug-13 16:01:19

DH and I have no family in this country, and have to pay for any babysitting. We go out together maybe three or four times a year. Having people take DCs on holiday for free, for two weeks? You are RUINED.

On a practical note - dye the shorts. You can get dye packs in Wilkinsons or big Tescos, and you put them through he washing machine with salt. Choose a nice dark colour, because as one or two people have already noted, light colours are not practical for kids!

EndoplasmicReticulum Fri 02-Aug-13 16:02:18

YABU.

White shorts? I don't buy myself white shorts. On my children they would last approximately 30 seconds.

I did have a thought about this while sitting in the local park playground yesterday. It's often muddy there. Many children seem to come to play in pink leggings or party frocks or white trousers, flip-flops, sparkly sandals, and end up in a right state.

My children also end up in a right state, but they are wearing grubby denim and trainers.

Buy some machine dye, dye the shorts purple.

D0oinMeCleanin Fri 02-Aug-13 16:02:20

They are patterned so I can't use bleach and upon having just put in my next load and noticed they've allowed my sister to wash their cerise play suits (which were expensive and were packed with strict instructions to only be worn at the pub disco and then put away again) with indigo denim shorts I am now very annoyed.

They playsuits are now being Vanish washed while the shorts soak then I will wash them again on a hot cycle and hope for the best.

I will have to say something if I cannot save the play suits I'm afraid.

Ragwort Fri 02-Aug-13 16:02:31

I've just sent my DS off camping and deliberately packed his oldest, scruffiest clothes.

However, as a Scout Leader we do have to spell out to parents not to send their children with designer labels/expensive clothing etc etc. One boy came hiking with his brand new trainers costing £100 and told us he wasn't allowed to get them muddy hmm - you can guess the state of them after a five mile hike grin.

hermioneweasley Fri 02-Aug-13 16:03:14

I agree with the perso who said that 2 weeks Childcare and a free holiday is the cheapest bargain available if t cost to the price of a pair of shorts! YABU and massively ungrateful.

Your parents sound ace, why would you even waste head space on being pissed off over shorts? What a strange choice.

pictish Fri 02-Aug-13 16:03:21

So...your oarents took your kids away for two weeks at no expense to you, and now you are whinging about some stains on their clothes??
Perspective please!

And white shorts on a camping trip? Don't be daft.

orangeandemons Fri 02-Aug-13 16:05:13

My dd loves white shorts. They get absolutely filthy! I just wash em with Vanish. They come up fine.

Redlocks30 Fri 02-Aug-13 16:05:18

noticed they've allowed my sister to wash their cerise play suits (which were expensive and were packed with strict instructions to only be worn at the pub disco and then put away again) with indigo denim shorts I am now very annoyed.

Are you for real?!

You do know you're being silly don't you? Sod the playsuits. DD2's teacher spilled an entire bottle of Tippex all over dd's brand new school shoes once. I rubbed it off with nail varnish remover and she had slightly grey shoes for the rest of that term. Nobody died.

MrsApplepants Fri 02-Aug-13 16:05:43

I love white cotton shorts for DD, i use neat bleach on any stains, love watching them disappear. Easy peasy

Dahlen Fri 02-Aug-13 16:05:50

YANBU to be pissed off that new clothes are ruined because it costs money to buy more, but you know that YABU to be pissed off at your parents for letting it happen and for sending white shorts on a camping trip in the first place. wink

I have very outdoorsy-type children, who ruin everything they ever wear. I now have one or two best/party outfits and the rest is cheap stuff that they can stain/scuff, etc. I rarely buy shorts because the UK hardly ever gets that warm. Instead, I keep last years's old/too-short trousers with adjustable waists and cut them off for knocking-about-in-type short.

Ragwort Fri 02-Aug-13 16:06:27

Seriously D0oin - you must be mad to send inappropriate, or even 'special' clothing with your children for a free holiday, and expect people to follow your instructions about when and how they wear the outfits. Just get a few bits and pieces from a charity shop and let the children enjoy themselves.

SmiteYouWithThunderbolts Fri 02-Aug-13 16:07:11

YABU. VVVU.

It's not as though they haven't tried to clean them. It sounds like your parents have gone to considerable lengths to make good the damage.

Get some perspective and don't ever do anything so daft as sending kids camping with white shorts again.

EndoplasmicReticulum Fri 02-Aug-13 16:07:15

Having read the bit about "cerise play suits for the pub disco" I have come to the conclusion we have very different ideas about dressing children.

Although I do have boys, they probably wouldn't go for a cerise play suit.

badguider Fri 02-Aug-13 16:07:52

I think you were crazy to even buy these kind of light coloured clothes for your kids in the first place, but even more crazy to send them away on a CAMPING holiday!

Nobody soaks laundry on a camping holiday...

Am confused about the washing of the cerise playsuits though... and your sister's involvement? why is your sister doing your family's washing? confused

EvieanneVolvic Fri 02-Aug-13 16:08:00

Okay I know you're a regular so I am assuming this is not a wind up and I will just say this

I will have to say something if I cannot save the play suits I'm afraid.

No you won't! You may CHOOSE to say something but that's not the same thing. The only thing you HAVE to say is DP you are brilliant and Evieanne wants to share you

thebody Fri 02-Aug-13 16:08:36

Jesus you sound like one spoilt little madam op.

Scruffey Fri 02-Aug-13 16:08:44

White shorts will not come back unscathed from a camping holiday. They can still be worn stained, I'd just wear them stained.

I think white clothes should be illegal anyway grin

D0oinMeCleanin Fri 02-Aug-13 16:09:50

I was being a bit tongue in cheek about the shorts, I was peeved that I'm now going to have to go and try and find new shorts somehow and might have mentioned it jokingly to my parents, but no, the play suits I am genuinely really annoyed about.

I won't ask for them to be replaced of course, but I will point out that they are now ruined and were expensive.

I always wash dark colors separately particularly if they are new.

5318008 Fri 02-Aug-13 16:11:25

Ahh just clocked OPs name, I am out.

D0oinMeCleanin Fri 02-Aug-13 16:11:44

My sister lives near where they were camping, so went home half way through to do some washing.

They went to visit my sister.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now