to think looking attractive will help me get the job?

(176 Posts)
moustachio Tue 18-Jun-13 12:14:25

interview tomorrow and DP thinks I should wear my black primark suit. It's ill fitting but I don't have much money and was the best i could afford. My other option is this dress www.amychildsofficial.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=94&product_id=298 . DP says that it's better to play it safe in white shirt & black suit rather than feel stupid.

I think looking good in the dress is much better than the frumpy suit! His office is full of techy people. I don't think he understands women do wear more fashionable things to offices nowdays. Any opinions? I know it's not right, but I do think that flattering my figure and looking 'pretty' will help with my confidence if nothing else!

Greythorne Tue 18-Jun-13 12:34:29

Cannot comment without knowing what the job is.

I bought an expensive trouser suit for interviews after I left uni. Got a few comments about 'trousers? for an interview' from very old people who were clueless but as I was going for jobs in PR, it was perfect.

KneeDeepInDaisies Tue 18-Jun-13 12:34:46

If you honestly feel more comfortable in the dress then wear it.

I would put a jacket over the top and maybe the MN scarf to detract from the breasts.

What's the job?

Chattymummyhere Tue 18-Jun-13 12:34:47

Love the fact that everyone pretends to be someone they are not in an interview... It would be much better if you just wore something smart yet that you feel comfortable in and the person interviewing you would then see a much more real person..

If I was interviewing people who both had the exact same cv I would pick te person who had thought about their outfit rather than just thrown on a suit because its the done thing, it shows you can think for your self.

Keztrel Tue 18-Jun-13 12:35:11

The thing is, you need to go into this interview feeling confident about your ability to do the job - screw feeling confident about your appearance!

Greythorne Tue 18-Jun-13 12:35:58

That dress is fine for anything in PR, fashion magazine publishing, fashion, design etc.

moustachio Tue 18-Jun-13 12:39:06

I think the fact amy childs is wearing it gives it a bad impression! You can't see my boobs at all. It's knee length and shoulders are covered. I am a toned size 16, but have a bit of a skin flap from having DS sad so pepulum lets me show off my curves and not my saggy belly!

The job is for a graduate scheme. The company makes graduates work in maintenance type work for a year, before becoming managers after 12months (Under cover boss style). So i don't want to look like i'm not willing to get dirty in manual work (my cv speaks for itself in that area though). But because of my military experience, i wanted to make it seem as though I can be well dressed and professional too and not laddy ifyswim.

My feelings were that of SolomonDaisy. Horrible polyester suit that I feel shit in and looks weird or a nice dress!

sparechange Tue 18-Jun-13 12:39:28

I think that dress would be fine, teamed with a jacket and some smart shoes. And I work in a very conservative office/industry!

justneedhandholding Tue 18-Jun-13 12:40:10

If your boobs are big then a definite no to the dress. If not then it possibly would be ok, a scarf may be a good idea.

I am only 34 but would still wear a dress or skirt suit rather than trousers for an interview. I just think that should show you have made an effort and I think interviewers do notice - I definitely do.

AllegraLilac Tue 18-Jun-13 12:41:03

I'm 21 and a size 8. That would be an 'interview dress' for me. Depends on you and your body... and the ethos of the company interviewing for?

justneedhandholding Tue 18-Jun-13 12:41:31

x-posts - from what your describe it sounds fine.

moustachio Tue 18-Jun-13 12:43:27

really appreciate opinions. I want to wear it, but have visions of me strutting in looking totally innapropriate. Then equal visions of everyone in the same primark suit as me! Think i'm going to nip to m&s before I pick DS up from school and see if I can find anything inbetween for a non-extortionate price! Thanks.

OnTheNingNangNong Tue 18-Jun-13 12:43:33

X posts
If you feel more comfortable in the dress wear it. Otherwise you will feel frumpy and it will show.

A smart jacket and natural makeup would be good with it

WafflyVersatile Tue 18-Jun-13 12:44:12

should I know who Amy Childs is?

I like the dress but check how bosomy it looks on you.

Keztrel Tue 18-Jun-13 12:45:27

I think your logic is good OP, in wanting to show that you can look managerial/polished, I just think the dress could be a bit distracting - it's not inappropriate as such, but I think you could go for something simpler so you don't come across as trying too hard with your appearance. If it really is a choice between a suit that doesn't fit you and that exact dress, I'd go for the dress. But I don't think you should be worrying so much about looking attractive.

Eilidhbelle Tue 18-Jun-13 12:47:37

Definitely wear the dress! I think it's perfect for interview. You'll come over as modern and stylish, suits for interviews are done.

DarkWinter Tue 18-Jun-13 12:48:36

Wear the dress, but pair it with a jacket or a dressy cardigan. And make sure you wear good shoes and a decent bag with it.

BatmanLovesAllan Tue 18-Jun-13 12:49:23

YY to a scarf - you could find a reasonably cheap one and use it to cover up that expanse of chest. I think it is important to feel comfortable in what you're wearing, and if your Primarni suit makes you feel ill at ease, then it might not be the right thing for you.

Could you try it on and put a picture up?

Great dress for an interview.
I work in very boring offices too and I would have no problem wearing that for a meeting etc....
It looks smart and if you're going to M&S then get a cardigan or something similar to match it or contrast.
Good luck with the interview!

SolomanDaisy Tue 18-Jun-13 12:55:49

I would definitely wear the dress for that! I've done a lot of interviewing and I wouldn't have raised an eyebrow at it.

MTBMummy Tue 18-Jun-13 13:02:07

I would wear the dress, if you feel more confident in it you will project more confidence.

I have no problem wearing that sort of dress for important meetings

Fairylea Tue 18-Jun-13 13:07:51

There is nothing wrong with that dress with simple mid court shoes and a simple necklace and hair pulled back. Honestly it is fine and better than a frumpy suit that doesn't fit you. And I worked in very senior marketing. We all wore dresses, high heels, tight skirts etc. No one wore trouser suits even for an interview.

flowery Tue 18-Jun-13 13:13:33

"DP says that it's better to play it safe in white shirt & black suit"

That is virtually never good advice. You need to dress appropriately for an interview obviously, and one stage up in the smartness stakes from what you'd wear to do the job is a good rule of thumb.

But you also need to be memorable to the interviewers, and playing it too safe in black trouser suit and white shirt will not achieve that. You'll look apologetic rather than confident.

If you do wear the black suit, wear a brightly coloured top in a colour that suits you, or a statement necklace or something.

I agree that a stricking blue/purple shirt under a black suit is better.

I have got some good priced quality suits from Asda, usually for funerals.

I think that depending on the fit, your size and how you do, hair, makeup, accessories, the dress would work.

BackforGood Tue 18-Jun-13 14:40:56

ANother vote for a suit over the dress.
Don't get me wrong - it's a very pretty dress, but when I'm interviewing, I'm not looking to employ someone who is "pretty", but someone who is ready to work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now