AIBU to not understand the concept of tea in bed?

(134 Posts)
ChangeyMcName Mon 20-May-13 00:33:58

I've read many comments on this site about DHs bringing DWs tea in bed on a daily basis. Are people's lives actually like that? Every day?
Feel a bit hmm . We have to take turns.
AIB selfish to wish I experienced the joy of waking up to a cup of tea like so many of you seem to?
Or is this actually a myth and everyone has to make their own tea really?

(may be overthinking a tad)

SomethingOnce Mon 20-May-13 01:59:30

That would work!

Oh dear, I thought I'd got over my tea maker desire but it's gonna be on my Christmas list!

StuntGirl Mon 20-May-13 02:01:21

I make my partner a cup of tea at weekends if I'm up before him. I don't drink tea so I don't get one, although I do sometimes get hot chocolates when its cold and snowy out!

Whoever gets up first at weekends makes breakfast in bed for the other too.

vvviola Mon 20-May-13 02:15:03

I rarely get tea in bed, although at weekends I often get hollered at woken up with the news that tea (and sometimes cooked breakfast) is ready.

My Dad made tea for Mum every morning before he went to work until we were old enough to take over. Once we left home, Dad took over again and even invested in a thermos teapot to ensure it was hot enough for her when he was going to work early. Now that he's retired & Mum still works 2 days a week he still gets up before her (at some ungodly hour) to make tea and see her off to work, before he goes back to bed. I think it's incredibly sweet blush

HadALittleFaithBaby Mon 20-May-13 02:57:09

We have a teasmaid and it comes with a thermos for the milk. Nothing quite as good as stirring to hear a machine making your cuppa for you! smile

Am going to go make some tea and bring back to bed right now. Will be able to stuff 2 shredded wheat in whilst waiting for kettle to boil and hopefully then will sleep.

Tea in bed is just lush!!!

As for who makes the tea. I do in the week normally as I have pregnancy insomnia and am up before DH who has to get up each day at 4.45! He makes it most weekends though as I lounge in bed to make up for the having half my sleep quota in the week.

EggsMichelle Mon 20-May-13 03:13:08

My DPs have a tea machine and just put the milk in a little metal jug before going to bed, no thermos or mini fridge, and so far they have not been sick.

I rarly get coffee in bed sad DH can be a bit dim when it comes to romantic gestures.

MomsNetCurtains Mon 20-May-13 03:29:31

My DP brings me tea in bed maybe three times a week at most. He's an early riser; I'm not. Though I am hopefully starting new job soon that means I will need to be up at 6am...good God. Not sure how I'll cope!

FaintlyMacabre Mon 20-May-13 03:33:10

There is no nicer sound than that of the footsteps of someone bringing me a cup of tea when I am half awake.

Doesn't happen very often these days, what with early rising small children who are not old enough to make tea, and late pregnancy meaning I am awake before anyone else anyway.

DH often brings me tea in bed but it lacks the particular quality of tea brought before I'm awake enough to think of it.

Apologies if that made no sense, I'm extremely pregnant and can't sleep!

MammaTJ Mon 20-May-13 03:50:54

The last time I got tea in bed was when I stayed at my friends house. Her lovely DS brought us both breakfast in bed. It was muesli, fruit tea and jam and toast. Wonderful and a total surprise.

We had both over indulged on the wine the night before, so it may have been a tad early for us, but we appreciated it very much. Especially as her DS is only 8.

DP does not bring me tea in bed, but makes me a cup of tea every morning.

If I got through the kitchen and fail to pick it up, he jumps up and goes and gets it for me. This is after he has made breakfast for the DC, sorted them out to get dressed for school and made their lunch boxes.

<no, not spolit, no, not me> grin

BodaciousTatas Mon 20-May-13 03:58:06

I do most mornings, apart from ones like this where I am wide awake so have had one already.

PurplePidjin Mon 20-May-13 03:59:26

Dp brings me coffee and porridge every day.

I feed (bf) ds, he feeds me. He seems to like it?! A couple of times it's worked out so he has a choice of baby cuddles or kitchen duty and he still chooses kitchen duty hmm

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Mon 20-May-13 04:06:53

God, who has the time to be lounging around in bed drinking tea on a weekday?

DH does make us both a proper cup of coffee in the mornings, because I am useless and can't work the posh coffee machine properly. But it's drunk while packing children's bags, putting on shoes, packing lunches, mediating squabbles and brushing hair.

Weekends, we take turns having a lie-in, but frankly whoever is up with the kids is cooking them breakfast, sorting out whose dolly is whose and trying to hang out laundry/unload dishwasher/wipe tables. Taking a cup of tea up to the snoozing partner is a bit too much to ask, I think.

I'm really surprised at how common tea in bed seems to be!

oinkment Mon 20-May-13 04:13:43

I am reading this thread while sitting in bed drinking a lovely cup of tea brought to me by my husband.

pollywollydoodle Mon 20-May-13 05:29:07

tortoise i only have 1 dd who is 9 and sorts herself out now..which helps

pollywollydoodle Mon 20-May-13 05:34:14

i'm surprised by the number of dc's who do tea in bed. i wouldn't trust my dd to get it upstairs without scalding herself / adding another stain to the carpet

SanityClause Mon 20-May-13 05:40:32

Same oinkment.

Lastofthepodpeople Mon 20-May-13 05:43:00

Yup, we're coffee drinkers though. But DH and I each get a turn on the weekend to sleep in and have coffee brought to us.
DS is only three but he'll be trained when he's old enough grin

livinginwonderland Mon 20-May-13 06:20:03

I get one every Saturday (when DP gets up first) and I make him one on Sunday because I have to be up first. Durig the week, I sometimes get one if he has enough time before work/while feeding the kittens, but if not, I just get my own after I've gone back to bed

HDEE Mon 20-May-13 06:25:49

I'm sat here right now in bed eating my toast and will be drinking my tea.

Every morning without fail I get breakfast and tea in bed.

katkit1 Mon 20-May-13 06:31:55

I make my own tea and toast but make sure I have it in bed - baby hangs over cot and shares toast but its still a nice relaxing way to start the morning.

drinking tea in bed now. My DH is an excellent tea maker.

Pollydon Mon 20-May-13 07:05:12

We take turns so I get tea in bed every other day & I make it for dh the other days. Dh sometimes suffers from insomnia & gets times mixed up, so occasionally wakes me up in the early hours with a cuppa confused

Fedupnagging Mon 20-May-13 07:19:35

Don't drink tea, but yes, love having a coffee in bed - sometimes I make it and sometimes dh. Depends who wakes up first.

also like to take a glass of wine to bed of an evening blush

Never have it here, I get up first and DH gets up 20 mins later at the last possible minute. It isn't something I'd want TBH, quite happy to make my own once I'm up. As for eating in bed, I have to be very ill before that happens, hate the thought. We have a no food upstairs rule anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now