Aibu to ask where you shop for clothes and how old you are?

(256 Posts)
Yawner247 Sun 19-May-13 20:22:10

Was just wondering as I am 29 and a mother of two young children and I'm not a huge fan of clothes shopping and am by no means a fashion icon!!! But was wondering where you shop and how old you were as the shops I seem to like seem to be popular with people older than me which is giving me a complex!!! Not helped by my dh saying some of my clothes are hideous!!

duchesse Mon 24-Nov-14 08:43:50

I'm glad I'm not the only woman in the world who can't stand clothes shopping! I look at things sometimes in shops, and think, "Meh-I wouldn't buy this even if it were at charity shop prices, so certainly buying it at that price!"

Shopping for clothes is just so damned disappointing and such a waste of time that I just engineer never having to do it. I am going to have find some new tops and trousers imminently. Trouble is, the style I liked was back in the 90s- hippy grunge (I work from home so rarely have to scrub up, and have a few things I can wear when required to).

fatlazymummy Mon 24-Nov-14 07:12:38

I'm 54, my favourite shops are Tesco, Asda and Peacocks. When I was younger (your age OP) I used to like New look, river Island and Top shop. I don't feel that I wear old lady clothes though.

goldopals Mon 24-Nov-14 06:03:56

27 and Australian. I shop mainly at Modcloth, asos, Jay jays, target and keep mart

Fadingmemory Mon 24-Nov-14 05:20:13

Gap (sales), Zara ("), M & S, John Lewis, occasionally Top Shop. I'm in my 60s

icklekid Mon 24-Nov-14 05:19:02

I'm 28 with one ds. love white stuff, fat face i buy nice clothing less frequently. Occasionally next, zara, boden, gap then h&m for basics eg. Vest tops

Whippet81 Mon 24-Nov-14 05:11:43

I'm 33

Zara
H&M
Joules
Primark - I like the ballet pumps that can be thrown away when look tatty as £4 and the pjs.

I think there are some nice classic clothes in M&S but also some frumpy stuff. I also think it's very overpriced for what it is to be honest.

GoingToCalifornia Mon 24-Nov-14 00:42:59

Secondhand Boden on eBay, secondhand Cath Kidston on eBay.

Charity shops. Especially the ones in student towns (frequent turnover of fashionable stuff) or rich towns (lots of high end labels).

LoisHatesChristmas Mon 24-Nov-14 00:41:04

35, mainly Oasis, next, Warehouse. If money is tight, New Look.

sunflower49 Mon 24-Nov-14 00:24:04

I'm 32.
I rarely find ANYTHING I like in the shops. Most of my clothes are hand-me-downs, charity shop finds or from (quite often foreign!) sellers on eBay.

I don't think I have a particularly weird 'style', I just find most high street or even designer things, boring and I like to look a little bit different.

duchesse Mon 24-Nov-14 00:14:11

I buy things from Boden and White Stuff as I find they fit me best. If I can I get them on ebay, or in the sales. Never pay full price for anything. Everything I own is at least 5-10 years old now and most of my clothes are falling apart, so I'm going to have to start hunting for tops and trousers that I like and fit, which I hate doing. My usual tack is to buy identical versions of things that I like and know will fit, on ebay when people are decluttering. It saves tons of money, which is nice, and avoids me having to go shopping. Even if I had a squillion pounds I still wouldn't like clothes shopping.

My friend has a bit of a spending habit but is extremely generous in rehoming her unwanteds. She selects things that she thinks I'll like to give me, so I get some very nice things from her.

UngratefulMoo Mon 24-Nov-14 00:12:17

When I'm feeling flush, lots from Monsoon, Phase Eight, Fever and a few poshy things from Ghost and Noa Noa.
But also lots from New Look, Uniqlo, Tu (Sainsbury's) and H&M
Plus hand me downs from my mum! Whatever works for you...

Places I have ditched as I've got older fatter are Warehouse, Oasis and Topshop. Just never find anything cut right for me in there.

Primark, tesco, matalan, new look, topshop.

I'm 20

25 (size 12-16 depending on shop!)

New Look (tops, dresses, skirts)
Dorothy Perkins (dresses, shoes, jeans)
Primark (accessories, tights, nightwear)
Forever 21 (basics, gymwear)
H&M (summer dresses, basics)
Asda

The odd thing here and there from Oasis, Laura Ashley, Fat Face, Zara

maddy68 Sun 23-Nov-14 23:30:00

Next
New look
Tesco
Amazon

Lifeisforlivingkatie Sun 23-Nov-14 23:03:34

Karen Millen, episode, I am 39

QTPie Sun 23-Nov-14 22:59:24

Age 40 (size 10).

Mainly Fatface. White Stuff, got a few tops from Laura Ashley recently.

Nice/formal dresses, mainly Coast, Phase 8, sometimes LK Bennett.

It is about what suits you as a person (age and figure)

TinyMonkey Sun 23-Nov-14 22:42:24

Aged 40.

Gap, H&M, Uniqlo, John Lewis, COS, Zara, Whistles, Hobbs, & Other Stories, Topshop, French Connection, Monsoon.

SaltySeaBird Sun 23-Nov-14 22:35:50

Age 37.

FatFace, White Stuff and Gap mainly.

Then sometimes ASOS, Hobbs, French Connection, White Company.

Very rarely I'll get something from Top Shop or H&M too

troubleinstore Sun 23-Nov-14 22:34:12

Zara
Tu at Sainsbury's
Charity Shops
Tesco
White Stuff
Asda
I really dont care about brands - If I like it ...can afford it...I buy it!

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 23-Nov-14 22:28:54

Oh also shop at all the supermarkets for clothes.

I will shop anywhere.

BathshebaDarkstone Sun 23-Nov-14 22:25:54

I'm 47 and shop in Asda because I can afford it! grin

JingleSpud Sun 23-Nov-14 22:24:16

I am just turned 30 and i live in either riding clothes (bought from amazon or the local farmers place) or mens clothes because apparently you cant be fat and tall....

Hatespiders Sun 23-Nov-14 22:20:35

We shop at Primark, QD, Asda, Tesco, charity shops and a Norfolk store called Roys of Wroxham. We also shop online using Amazon and eBay. We're seventy.
We don't want to spend vast amounts on clothes as we seem to have quite enough of them already!

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 23-Nov-14 22:16:17

I'm 26 and shop pretty much anywhere and everywhere. No brand loyalty whatsoever -

Zara, Mango, Topshop, Warehouse, Marks and Spencer, ASOS, Oasis, H+M, Lavish Alice, Supertrash, Primark, New Look, River Island, All Saints to name a few. There are others though.

BittersweetSymphony Sun 23-Nov-14 22:03:44

19 and charity shops, H&M & Primark generally. Tend to get ideas from stores like Topshop, River Island and Oasis and then look for similar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now