Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think this couple were silly be abroad for the birth of their son

(108 Posts)
Coolingwood Sat 27-Apr-13 12:35:10

A couple I know - acquaintances, more than friends - planned to be on holiday in a distant country for the birth of their son. Their son has been born and requires medical attention and they have no insurance - and have started a fundraiser online - Am I being unreasonable to think that was a really, really silly decision?

TheBigJessie Sat 27-Apr-13 12:37:25

No, you're not.

But judging them for being utter, utter, utter eejits unwise decisions won't help now. Is there a link? I'll give them something.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Sat 27-Apr-13 12:39:11

It depends on the circumstances and you haven't given enough detail.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Sat 27-Apr-13 12:39:18

Bloody hell, let's hope they put more thought into future decisions.

I hope things work for them though and the baby is ok.

Shellywelly1973 Sat 27-Apr-13 12:39:31

YANBU ur a great friend...

5madthings Sat 27-Apr-13 12:39:47

Not taking out insurance was draft but judging won't help.

I hope their son is OK, that's the important thing.

Coolingwood Sat 27-Apr-13 12:42:16

I know judging isn't going to help, and I truly hope the baby gets the treatment it needs

CloudsAndTrees Sat 27-Apr-13 12:45:04

Did they have a reason for having the baby abroad?

I assume they went there because family or someone is there?Why else would you pick another country to give birth in?

Also how did she manage to fly pregnant? I though there is limits,dependent on airline about when you can fly.

HotCrossPun Sat 27-Apr-13 12:47:08

Need a bit more info OP.

Why did they plan to be abroad for the birth? What country was it?

Wibblypiglikesbananas Sat 27-Apr-13 12:49:59

Sounds a bit odd to me. If they're so far away, they'd have had to fly and that wouldn't have been possible unless she was pre (at most) 36 weeks. Most airlines stipulate 32 weeks or 28 for twins. So - this is a bloody long holiday if this is correct!

Coolingwood Sat 27-Apr-13 12:50:20

They were on a yoga retreat in the Caribbean if that helps

SwishSwoshSwoosh Sat 27-Apr-13 12:52:34

I feel you're missing the point a bit.

Am I being unreasonable to be so worried for my friend's baby seems more appropriate.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 27-Apr-13 12:52:36

A lot of insurance policies exclude pregnancy related conditions and cover for any new baby.. I guess they didn't realise this.

MNBlackpoolandFylde Sat 27-Apr-13 12:53:41

There were not silly to be abroad for the birth of their child really, but somewhere without medical insurance to cover for the worst seeing she was giving birth is silly.

I thought you could only fly during your third trimester with a doctor's note...??

But YANBU. Wasn't there a couple recently in the news who had their baby somewhere in Europe and didn't have insurance so had to do a fundraiser because the baby was prem and needed treatment?

ananikifo Sat 27-Apr-13 12:54:32

Was the baby born early? That's the only way this makes any sense.

Coolingwood Sat 27-Apr-13 12:54:33

Of course the main point is that I'm concerned for the baby - and of the course that is the important thing - I'm just annoyed they could be so bloody silly and endanger their baby's health in such a reckless way

Coolingwood Sat 27-Apr-13 12:55:35

The baby wasn't born early at all - it was bang on time - it was just a very long retreat!

Coolingwood Sat 27-Apr-13 12:57:57

I'm not sure I feel comfortable sharing the fundraising link in MN - apologies

Mamafratelli Sat 27-Apr-13 12:58:06

Lots of people go on holiday pregnant. Of course they should have had insurance. In fact they might have done (some dont cover pregnancy). It sounds to me like baby came early.

I feel incredibly sorry for them. I lived abroad when ds was born. There were complications (for me) and it was very scary and lonely.

You sound like a terrible friend. They made a mistake not getting the correct insurance but they need support not judgement.

kungfupannda Sat 27-Apr-13 12:58:32

How were they planning on paying for the costs of the baby's birth - even without any unforseen complications? Have things just escalated beyond what they expected to be able to cover?

ananikifo Sat 27-Apr-13 12:59:31

Do they have any connections to the country where they had the baby? I'm sorry this is obviously sad but I can't wrap my head around wanting to give birth in another country where you're just on holiday.

kim147 Sat 27-Apr-13 12:59:51

There was an article on Look North about a couple who went abroad on holiday and the baby was born prematurely in Spain. They had to stay for ages and tried to find money for an air ambulance as the baby needed surgery but they had no insurance.

A hard lesson.

Mamafratelli Sat 27-Apr-13 12:59:52

Actually reading your last post I don't believe you. The mother wouldn't have been able to travel home at full term.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now