no heating no help

(264 Posts)
baby121990 Tue 22-Jan-13 13:04:21

hi, my boiler blew up on Friday night i called emergency team out

FanFuckingTastic Tue 22-Jan-13 19:19:33

I'm lucky because the local second hand man here knows me and brought me an oil radiator for free to replace mine when it broke, he knows my circumstances and he really is a very kind man.

AmberLeaf Tue 22-Jan-13 19:20:37

Korma you should have sat on those hands.

baby121990 Tue 22-Jan-13 19:22:13

Thank you to you all who helped and it made me a bit more positive except a couple. i will keep you updated x smile

littleduckie Tue 22-Jan-13 19:23:38

it is impossible to live with no heating and hot water Impossible to live? Does that mean you will die?

ThePinkOcelot Tue 22-Jan-13 19:24:38

Can't understand why the OP is getting grief from some people - jeez!

Sorry OP, really feel for you. Its awful. I worry about my boiler going off at this time of year. I would keep ringing and keep stressing about your DS. Good luck xx

AmberLeaf Tue 22-Jan-13 19:25:59

Good luck OP.

Booyhoo Tue 22-Jan-13 19:26:21

nice korma. real nice. hmm

there's this thing called understanding. you could try that for a change.

OP i am in county down if that is any good to you. i have lots of spare blankets and a fan heater. also i have a bath/shower you are welcome to use.

usualsuspect Tue 22-Jan-13 19:27:23

Why don't you take your unhelpful comments and fuck right off.

I live without central heating all the time. We find that it's cheaper to have Calor gas fires (which, I realise are expensive to buy, around £75? - maybe you could borrow one?) and buy gas cylinders (around £25 each) for them, than to rely on electric heaters. As for washing when you have no hot water (story of my life, seems to happen every year around Christmas time), use a washing up bowl or similar, a soap and flannel, first wash the body, and then wash your feet by putting them IN the bowl (this is best done in the room where you have heat). Microwaveable teddies, pillows etc. are not as good as old fashioned hot water bottles - the latter keep the heat longer. Wear layers to bed, including socks. Remember to have hot drinks - they'll warm you right through. Hope some of that helps!

Osmiornica Tue 22-Jan-13 19:29:00

Have you spoken to neighbours/friends? They might have a spare heater (I keep one in the garage just in case and have lent it out). They might also be able to help you out with showers etc.

JakeBullet Tue 22-Jan-13 19:29:23

If you have an autistic child melting down regularly due to circumstances and changes IT MIGHT FEEL IMPOSSIBLE TO YOU TOO.

Amazed people can't "get" this.

agoodblue Tue 22-Jan-13 19:33:24

Hope this gets sorted soon OP. Do you have a friend you could spend the weekend with, at least in the daytime? Or a nice autism friendly cafe/soft play/library nearby with heating on during the day. It's fucking freezing out there and yes I'm sure all sorts of people have gone years without heating but it doesn't mean it's not very unpleasant for you to go days without it.

Fakebook Tue 22-Jan-13 19:36:45

Eek. Sorry for my earlier post OP.

I second extra layers and maybe flannel wash the children until Friday?

bluecarrot Tue 22-Jan-13 19:37:20

I'm so sorry to read your story OP. I understand your DS doesn't like change but can you take them to a library or leisure Center during the day so you don't have to heat the house? Some areas give discounts to families with a disabled child- does your area? Or even a discount as unemployed/a carer? What about community centres? Soft play areas? Our local one, unless its really busy, you can stay all day.

Have you seen Mr Poppers Penguins? I don't understand Autism but could you joke you are hoping for penguins to move in?! Would that freak him out?

Make a tent over one bed and get in as early as you can after dinner. Read stories by torch light all cosied up in bed? Try to put the. "Adventure" slant on it?

I just can't imagine not having heating right now sad

Do you have plenty of blankets? Warm clothes? Is there a neighbour you could offer a few quid to dry your clothes and maybe give the kids a wash if the pool isn't an option?

Ullena Tue 22-Jan-13 19:39:10

Sympathy to you. Maybe try making it an adventure for your dc, by having all of you camping out in the living room until the boiler is fixed? Easier to keep one room warm, iyswim. Lots of layers, and boil the kettle to fill the sink for a quick wash.

I knew a woman with two young children who moved into a ha house (escaping dv) and were told that it had no central heating or double glazing currently as the former resident had declined having it installed. But they would update the house asap. This was during early summer, btw. Woman thought it would be six months or so.

It was five years before the ha got around to installing any radiators...

Bloody hell, some of you really are nowty today.

bluecarrot Tue 22-Jan-13 19:41:18

where are you OP? ( roughly!)

What's your ds finding difficult to understand (for my autistic ds being unable to have a bath in the morning would send him somewhere into orbit - he'd have to get in even if it had ice in it hmm )? He also won't wear socks or jumpers inside which would be problematic. Is it something specific, we might be able to think of something to help him?

Jeez, it's fucking freezing here and I can't understand why anyone would have any reaction but sympathy to this thread hmm
Sorry you're having a shit time OP, I'm in Bucks if you're nearby and want a shower and a cuppa in the warm smile
Hope this gets sorted out for you quickly.

littleduckie Tue 22-Jan-13 19:44:23

Once upon a time heating and hot water out the tap was a privileged. Now everyone seems to think they are entitled to it. They are NOT.

I would rather elderly people got seen to first tbh your son will not die, he will just be cold.

gordyslovesheep Tue 22-Jan-13 19:51:33

god there are some nasty people on this thread

OP where are you ? I would be going to the press, my MP etc etc - it's not good enough to be without heating in the middle of snow and freezing temps with little kids - let alone one with a disability

hope this is sorted soon and ignore the idiots x

NoelHeadbands Tue 22-Jan-13 19:51:40

Omg I had a day and a half last week with no heating or hot water and I was ranting and raving, and that was just at my DH!

I sympathise, it's sucks. Hope it's sorted soon

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

apostropheuse Tue 22-Jan-13 19:57:19

What a horrible, nasty and unhelpful post Korma. There was no need for that whatsoever.

OP You've had some helpfu replies on here. I hope you can make use of them.

Like no doubt many others I was brought up in a house with no form of heating apart from one coal fire in the living room. We literally had ice inside the bedroom windows.

A couple of tips, which I hope you find helpful.

For washing th children fill a bowl of water from the kettle. Wash the children's hands, face and body. Place the bowl on the floor - they stand in it and you wash their knees and feet.

To make the above bearable my parents would either do it in the living room in front of the fire, or put the cooker on in the kitchen with the oven door opened for a wee while beforehand . This might not be possible, I realise, if you're on a tight budget.

Wear socks in bed - the extremities get cold first.

If you don't have enough blankets to add to the beds get any heavy coats out of the wardrobe and put them on top of the duvets. You could also wear dressing gowns.

If you don't have hot water bottles and can't afford to buy them you can put some warm water inside a bottle, wrap it in a towel and warm up the beds that way.
Make sure you have plenty of warm drinks.

Learn to run very quickly from bed - bathroom and back to bed during the night! grin

I know you probably panicked a little when you realised you were going to be without heating and hot water on tap for a few days, but I'm sure you now do realise you will cope just fine.

Let us know how you get on!

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Tue 22-Jan-13 20:02:14

OP - ignore the horrible people. Not sure why people are having such a go at you when you only asked for advice and you're already having a horrible time.

I would ring them and say you have two v young children, one of whom is disabled and you're his full time carer so at home most of the time and see if you can't them to speed the repair up.

Some posters should remember the old proverb - "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now