Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be disappointed no-one gave me anything?

(130 Posts)
NickNacks Wed 19-Dec-12 18:27:07

I'm a childminder and mind 6 children altogether. Last Friday I gave out gifts to all the children, gifts and cards to the parents that had been made with the children and this morning I went to watch the school nativity as I knew some mums couldn't make it.

Today was the last day before Christmas and I received one solitary card from one family. I know it sound a bit greedy but I wasn't expecting diamonds just a little 'Its the thought that counts' token box of chocs would have been lovely.

My husband thinks I'm a bit unreasonable to be miffed but I don't, I'm genuinely a bit upset that they didn't think.

So <dons hard hat> AIBU?

Jemma1111 Wed 19-Dec-12 18:29:05

YANBU , a little appreciation goes a long way but unfortunately not everyone is very thoughtful

DPotter Wed 19-Dec-12 18:29:32

No I don't think you're being unreasonable at all. I think they're a bit rude. Well done to you and I hope this is a bunch of flowers for you ! Merry Christmas ! http://cdnmn.com/emo/te/thanks.png

fluffyraggies Wed 19-Dec-12 18:29:43

DNBU. How sad and miserable of them!

gordyslovesheep Wed 19-Dec-12 18:29:44

I gave my CM's (husband and wife team) some fizz - yanbu a nice token would not have gone amiss

SallyCinnamonandNutmeg Wed 19-Dec-12 18:32:27

No I don't think YABU but perhaps they've just been so busy sorting out presents, food etc etc it just slipped the parents' minds to get you anything. But YANBU to feel slightly miffed.

OlaRapaceFru Wed 19-Dec-12 18:33:17

I don't think YABU at all.
You are looking after the most important 'things' in those people's lives - their children.
How thoughtless of the parents.

Have some virtual thanks = flowers and wine

coldcupoftea Wed 19-Dec-12 18:34:34

Yanbu- we have got a big box of biscuits and some wine for DD's childminder. Ungrateful gits! Have some thanks

SantaIAmSoFuckingRock Wed 19-Dec-12 18:34:41

could it be a money issue? some people are really on a tight budget this year.

diddl Wed 19-Dec-12 18:34:53

Maybe if they live close they´ll bring something nearer the 25th.

It´s still quite early.

TBH, though, it´s not the sort of thing that would occur to be.

It would have been nice-but if you hope/expect, it sets you up for a fall.

SallyCinnamonandNutmeg Wed 19-Dec-12 18:36:03

They could have given cards though even if they couldn't afford presents

SantasENormaSnob Wed 19-Dec-12 18:37:45

It's still early yet.

My children had their last day before Xmas with our cm today.

Her gift will be dropped off Friday.

NickNacks Wed 19-Dec-12 18:37:51

Thank you. I feel a bit better knowing it's them and not me.

I love those children to bits and so it comes naturally to me to think of them at times like Christmas but I accept I'm probably not one of their priorities.

Inclusionist Wed 19-Dec-12 18:38:08

You've made me feel a bit bad. I bought my CM's children presents (3 of them) but not her. Maybe I will go and get her something tomorrow!

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Wed 19-Dec-12 18:38:08

YANBU...I'm really surprised.

NickNacks Wed 19-Dec-12 18:38:54

True- they do all live close so there is time.

Izzyschangelingisarriving Wed 19-Dec-12 18:39:00

Mine are going in with dcs on Friday

LadyBeagleBaublesandBells Wed 19-Dec-12 18:39:20

YANBU at all.
You've clearly got some mean spirited clients.
But as diddl said, maybe they'll do something nearer the time.

OlaRapaceFru Wed 19-Dec-12 18:39:28

Quite, SallyC, just a lovely card would have been nice - especially if the DC had drawn it themselves.

sad for NickNacks.

SantaIAmSoFuckingRock Wed 19-Dec-12 18:40:38

cards still cost money. i dont have any craft card or paper in my house to even make cards and if i was totally skint i couldn't afford to buy any just to make a card for someone. TBF though if i was in that situation i would write a lovely message thanking the Cmers for all they do and wishing them and theirs a lovely xmas and new year.

NickNacks Wed 19-Dec-12 18:41:16

YY even a card would have been lovely!

everlong Wed 19-Dec-12 18:42:15

I'd be upset too.

I bet they pop by with something for you wink

JustFabulous Wed 19-Dec-12 18:43:32

Maybe the OP is your CM ENorma.

flossy101 Wed 19-Dec-12 18:45:50

Yanbu! Id be upset too.

A token gesture would have been nice.

Maybe they haven't had time, and will drop something off before Christmas.

Rudolphstolemycarrots Wed 19-Dec-12 18:46:28

I always make a point of sending a card or giving a tiny something as I want teacher/carers to know I Appreciate theM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now