...to think my MIL is amazing?

(199 Posts)
victoriaplum01 Tue 04-Dec-12 21:28:55

There, I've said it. The woman is a saint. Am I the only person who has a lovely MIL?

evilhamster Wed 05-Dec-12 10:59:24

My MIL is great. She comes over every Christmas to us (in Wales, but when we move to Iceland she says she'll vist then too) and she loves all her grandkids. She had five kids, and currently has nine grandkids (will be ten soon, I'm 30wks) and loves them all so much. She sends me a lot of presents randomly- just a ' I knew you'd love this' and I know she does the same for her DIL and her SonsILs- as well as the grandkids.

She worked as a a matron at a care home and she's so good with kids. She's caring, she's loving, and I am so glad to still have her. She was recently bombed out of her house-(she lives in Israel) but she's still sending over gifts, skyping, FaceTiming, emailing etc;

She speaks completely differen languages to me (she grew up with Hebrew, me with Icelandic) and she put such an effort into learning some simple phrases in Icelandic which she'd try out over skype or whatever, always failing completely, and then try out with my family, (although they both speak some English) which resulted in hundreds of misunderstandings (she asked about the dog's testicles, meaning to ask about the dog's puppies)...

She recently underwent treatment for cancer (bladder) and lost her husband having supported him and cared for him as he had dementia. She's so brave and caring and kind. I'm so lucky.

Mine is a total star. Sometimes drives us a little crazy, but that's all part of the fun. She is a diamond.

She is in hospital at the moment, seriously ill. We got some good news though on Monday but before that, thinking the worst, I felt like someone had ripped my insides out at the thought of her not being here for her DH, my DH, me and the DC sad. I cried at school Monday morning in front of another mum because I was so cut up with worry for her.

But, as I say, we then got some encouraging news, things are looking up and I for one could not be happier. I spoke to her this morning and it was a joy to hear her voice. Full of sunshine and optimism despite everything she is going through.

(If you are wondering why I have not visited, it is because she is 60 miles away in an isolation unit and visiting is limited to her DH!)

Evilhamster - she sounds absolutely fab. Lucky you and your family!

Emandlu Wed 05-Dec-12 11:03:20

My MIL is brilliant. When I went into labour with dd it was her birthday and she insisted that FIL came down to fit the cooker DH had started on when we had to go to the hospital rather than go on the day out they had planned. She was a bit disappointed to not share a birthday with dd though as she was born just the wrong side of midnight.

She has the kids for me if I ask and when my Nan was dying had them for about 2 weeks so that I could be at Nan's bedside. She never complains about having the kids either and would love to have them more often.

I love my MIL and FIL to bits and don't know what I'd do without them. They are absolute treasures!

SantaWearsGreen Wed 05-Dec-12 11:12:41

My mil is alright.. but she does live half way across the world so it helps grin

LulaPalooza Wed 05-Dec-12 11:16:45

Lovely thread.

My MiL is amazing. She is the eldest of 7 and has been looking after children since she was 13. First it was her brothers and sisters, then she had her first son when she was 18. She brought up her own kids to be respectful, confident people and is now doing the same with her own Grandchildren - DSS and my BiL's son. FiL is unwell, she lost her eldest son two years ago... but she rarely complains. She's so kind and generous.

This is making me sad, typing this, as she is thousands of miles away. I wish we could see her more often.

I also love my Mum and think she's amazing. Unfortunately she and my DSiL don't get on at all and I think it's really sad.

My MiL passed away before I got pg with dd, about 8 years ago. She was the warmest, funniest, gutsiest, friendliest, smartest woman I've ever met smile

On meeting me for the first time she said 'welcome to the family!' and gave me a massive hug - I'd only been seeing dp for 4 weeks! grin

She was a working mum who taught dp to pull his weight with the domestic stuff - which he mostly does, v unusual in men of his advanced years!

She also famously did the licked tissue thing to get a mark off my cheek blush grin

She was fab and I miss her loads. I don't get on with any of my bio family, and I consider MiL to be my 'mam.' She died horribly of cancer after a long fight, and on one of the last times I ever saw her, I gave her a big hug and kiss and told her, 'I love you, mam.' I am a soppy sentimental type, and I'm so glad I did that while she was still here and told her how I felt.

Lovely lady. Glad to see other positive MiL stories too!

Curtsey Wed 05-Dec-12 12:07:02

I adore my MIL. She's led a fascinating life and has come through some very very tough times. She's worked so hard for every penny she now has, and yet she's boundlessly generous and there is always good food and wine in her house. She's appreciates high culture and dirty jokes equally. Finally and perhaps most importantly, she has raised a son who respects women and people in general.

helips Wed 05-Dec-12 12:15:15

Ahhh this is a nice thread! My MIL is fab too. She is a lovely lady, adores her grandchildren, loves babysitting at every opportunity and never undermines me. She listens when I moan about dh or life in general and never gives unwanted advice. She's a great cook and will do anything for anyone. I really couldn't fault her (although I think dh gets a bit fed up with the amount of attention the children get over him now!).

EdgarAllanPond Wed 05-Dec-12 12:20:03

i am going to say only positive things :

my MIL is going to pay for DD1s piano lessons

the DCs love her

DH loves her and she is his Mummy.

Gymbob Wed 05-Dec-12 12:34:34

My DH says his MIL is an oxygen thief, and I have to agree. When she comes round I just have another child to look after.

My MIL sees our kids, usually birthdays and Xmas when she comes round for Xmas dinner, She's never shown any interest in them, such a shame as she could have taught them so much.

My XMIL from 25 years ago is a truly wonderful woman, we have never lost touch, although out of respect our contact was minimal whilst her bastard of a son was married to is second wife. Now he has ditched that one too, our relationship is great. I'm so lucky that my DH doesn't mind how close we are.

squeakytoy Wed 05-Dec-12 12:37:23

My MIL is fabulous and we are just off out to lunch together. She knows her son's faults and always supports me. I love her to bits.

ginmakesitallok Wed 05-Dec-12 12:37:27

Mine is fabulous too - looks after my DDs on the days I work and is wonderful with them. God knows how we would have coped without her. She does drive me mad every so often (like calling at 7.55 this am to tell me that DD2 had a note from nursery in her bag - nothing urgent) but in general is absolutely fantastic. (And she raised a pretty wonderful son too)

Nancy66 Wed 05-Dec-12 12:41:30

I absolutely adore mine.

Love it when she comes to say. She is fun, kind and great company.

We have been on a couple of city break weekends away together (which I'd never get my own mum to do.) Had one in Granada last year and we both ended up getting very merry on sherry and staggering back to our hotel at 4am.

chipmonkey Wed 05-Dec-12 12:43:39

envy

Mine is lovely. Kind, generous, clever, sweet, and very very funny!

Startail Wed 05-Dec-12 12:54:28

mine died 12 years ago, I still miss her.

lovetomoan Wed 05-Dec-12 12:55:33

I love mine! My mum died when I was young and I believe I have been blessed with my MIL. She nursed me after my c section and she is just wonderful.

NanaNina Wed 05-Dec-12 12:58:36

Oh WOW could hardly believe my eyes when I saw this thread and with a couple of exceptions, all posters have left me in no doubt what they think of their Mils. I have got into conflict with quite a few DILS on MN when simply trying to point out the possible reasons for a MIL's actions, and sometimes it has seemed they just cannot do the right things.

And don't forget all you lovely young mums, if you have sons, try to follow your own MILs when your turn comes around! Incidentally I think lots of you DILs are describing me!!!

OscarPistoriusBitontheside Wed 05-Dec-12 12:59:48

You are all so lucky! I wanted a lovely mil, like my Nanna was to my mum, but alas it wasn't to be.

victoriaplum01 Wed 05-Dec-12 13:12:22

NanaNina I read something on here, obviously written by a struggling MIL, trying to point out that not every action of a MIL is for her own selfish gains.

It got me thinking about how far my MIL and I have come (DH have been together for something like 18 years now). To begin with we had real clashes - I wanted to wrestle DH from her and she wasn't prepared to cut the apron strings. However, since having my DDs, she has been the angel on the top of my Christmas tree.

Oh, and she did get the vomiting bug from DD1 blush So I made sure to tell her how great I think she is wink

Psammead Wed 05-Dec-12 13:18:11

Mine is really lovely. Adore her.

Inertia Wed 05-Dec-12 13:35:23

Mine's lovely - has had the DC overnight a few times to give me and DH a night away together, enjoys spending time with family, doesn't interfere, adores the DC.

Mine is fab too - and is due a bunch of flowers & chocolates this weekend as she has just looked after DD2 for 2 days as CM couldn't have her post vomiting bug!!

takataka Wed 05-Dec-12 14:10:24

mine is far away, and emotionally she isnt great but she is an astoundingly strong woman who has endured more than you can imagine in her life. She is beautiful and funny

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now