To tell Dsis (9) that if she "won't sit at a table where people are eating non free range turky" that she can eat her christmas dinner alone on the balcony.

(312 Posts)
honeytea Sat 01-Dec-12 17:55:10

My lovely adorable and slightly precocious little sister is 9 and has been a self declared vegetarian since she was about 4.

My family are coming to stay with us for Christmas and my mum has kindly offered to cook Christmas dinner which is fab as I am due to give birth on the 8th (but feel like the baby is happy in my tummy and won't be here till much closer to Christmas.) I was talking to my mum and sister today about what I should buy for dinner, they fly to us on the 23rd and we have a christmas day celebration with my DP's family on the 24th so I need to get prepared. I went trough all the vegies and stuff for a nut roast, then I said maybe I will get a big chicken instead of a turky and my little sister said well you had better make sure it is free range as I won't sit at a table where there meat that is not free range, I said to her that is fine she can sit on the balcony and eat her dinner.

AIBU and a nasty big sister, I will look for a free range chicken but I don't often buy meat and I have no idea if you can even buy free range chickens in the country we live in.

Punkatheart Mon 03-Dec-12 20:16:52

Talking to one's sister? Honestly. Saying what you mean? Hardly inappropriate. Stamping and making a scene at the table might be.....but it really is important to make a distinction here. There has been no tantrum at the table, has there?

You can't go wrong with beef, honeytea. Cows run wild and free....

honeytea Mon 03-Dec-12 20:19:18

No there has been no tantrum, I don't think she would tantrum with me, my family are amazed at how well behaved she is when we are together but I think that is because i am strict but also we are often doing fun things.

Punkatheart Mon 03-Dec-12 21:23:19

All children are generally the centre of attention. It goes with being a child,

exoticfruits Tue 04-Dec-12 07:30:03

A good word 'whatever'.(smile)
She has just made her statement. I would just say 'OK' in a vague manner and not discuss it further. Do your own thing, set her a place at the table, without comment. If she says anything, just say in a bored, vague tone, ' well, see where you can find a space to take it' and ignore.

merrymouse Tue 04-Dec-12 18:13:30

raised ethically to improve the quality of the meat

I think its like non free range chickens, but they get to listen to

The Moral Maze on Radio 4

LaQueen Tue 04-Dec-12 20:15:24

As always exotic and I are in perfect accord when it comes to child-rearing wink

I would be totally nonplussed by the child, and just wouldn't be able to take her seriously. I would be inclined to pat her on the head, smile and say 'Yeah, right, whatever you want darling, sit where you like...now, where did I put those plates?'

honeytea Sun 16-Dec-12 19:26:45

Just a little update, we bought some beef today (nice organic beef) so we are all set for Christmas.

grin

WorraLorraTurkey Sun 16-Dec-12 19:37:07

God I've just read this thread with my mouth hanging open shock

She's Lisa Simpson isn't she? grin

Sorry but I'm leaning towards Bupcakes idea here....

ReallyNotTotallyStupidPromise Sun 16-Dec-12 19:47:21

I hope you have a good day grin I still think she sounds lovely.

honeytea Sun 16-Dec-12 19:50:04

Thank you! I hope the day goes well, I am overdue by 8 days and will be induced on friday if there is still no baby so I might not even be here to worry about the dinner!

PessaryPam Sun 16-Dec-12 19:58:23

FFS just lie to the little shit, every one happy. You can torment her with the truth later xxxx

PessaryPam Sun 16-Dec-12 20:02:49

He he strike me from the babysitting list too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now