Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to have said something to this man at the pool about his baby? Or should I have said something earlier?

(214 Posts)
TickledOnion Sun 07-Oct-12 20:21:39

At DD1's swimming lesson today, a man got into the public bit of the pool with a 7 week old baby in just a swim nappy. The pool is at a private gym and quite a pleasant temperature for adults but too cold for an almost naked baby. I take DD2, 8mo, swimming there with a swim nappy, swim pants and a wet suit. (Possibly overkill, but she seems quite happy).

I was really unsure whether to say anything and asked another mum who agreed with me but also didn't say anything. They stayed in for about 10 minutes and then I saw them again in the family changing room. At this point I mentioned to the man that you can buy wetsuits for babies as it can be quite cold in the pool. He said he didn't know and asked where he could get one.

Should I have said something earlier? Or nothing at all? The baby didn't seem unhappy and luckily the man took my comments as well meaning advice rather than criticism. More a WWYD than AIBU?

Mylittlepuds Tue 09-Oct-12 20:00:37

Oh and her son had a wetsuit. Obv.

bumperella Tue 09-Oct-12 20:01:48

I took my baby swimming (and still do).
She loves it, it's another experience for her, it was sociable (for both of us) it was fun... don't see why taking babies swimming is any wierder than taking older children swimming - they just splash around grinning madly.
I had a block of lessons, really useful for ideas of what moves to do with DD, etc., also getting into a pool with tiny baby is awkward. Lessons weren't expensive - £10 for the block of 8 I think - and a council pool. If that makes me middle-class-pfb-helipcopter-parent, so be it.

Wetsuits work by trapping water in the neoprene that then heats up (by wearers body heat). So a nice warm insulating layer. If they're too big then water flows in (ie between skin and wetsuit) and then it just all flows out -so they don't work well unless they fit well. I've never used one for my DD but have borrowed other peoples when WW kayaking....

bumperella Tue 09-Oct-12 20:05:47

mylittlepuds, x posted, those lessons you had DO sound shite :-).
Ours involved floating rafts, toys, daft songs, rhymes with actions, - lots of vareity. Can't imagine they'd actually teach DD to swim, but were fun. And last 30 mins, which was plenty long enough.

Mylittlepuds Tue 09-Oct-12 20:20:56

Sounds much better than ours! The one I went to insisted on an 'underwater swim' in the first lesson. An underwater swim. For babies as young as eight weeks. The underwater swim consisted of dunking them under at the end of the lesson. Most of them came up howling and shocked.

Not to mention that going on my own to one of these swim lessons would have been a logistical nightmare. I had DH with me and still found myself stressed beyond belief as he wasn't allowed in the changing rooms. I might stress easy but tell me honestly who wouldn't with a tiny baby, swim nappies and wet costumes to peel off. Never again. I've warned a friend. Wish I hadn't as she's booked up anyway and I'm sure I'll hear how utterly fabulous the experience was. Oh f**k off.

sleeplessinderbyshire Tue 09-Oct-12 20:29:05

the underwater swimming thing is really important to get them to keep on with the breatholding reflex. If they fell into a pool or got dunked by accident you want to be as sure as you can that they won't simply breathe in the water and drown immediately. I've done waterbabies with my DD1 for 3yrs now and have done almost a term with DD2 it's by far the best thing we do together and I (and more importantly both DDs) absolutely love it

Mylittlepuds Tue 09-Oct-12 20:41:49

That's why they call it an underwater swim, naturally hmm

Mylittlepuds Tue 09-Oct-12 20:48:29

Oh and 'underwater swimming' can be captured on camera for a snip at £200 per photo. And then you can share the pictures on Facebook for the world to see how fabulously wealthy you are and what a great parent you are. Two birds, one stone.

bumperella Tue 09-Oct-12 20:49:38

They called it "plopping in off the side" or somesuch (sounded more like describing someone having a poo TBH) at ours. But they didn't explain the rationale (thanks, sleepless!) and it wasn't sompulsory - more if parent felt up to it!
I agree re: nioghtmare of getting out of the changing rooms.

TalkinPeace2 Tue 09-Oct-12 20:50:40

YABU
None of your business.

Unhappy baby would have howled.

Wallace Tue 09-Oct-12 20:51:28

Never did underwater swimming but all of my children have spontaneously learnt to jump in and go underwater and hold their breath... shock

VivaLeBeaver Tue 09-Oct-12 20:51:34

I tried dunking dd under water when she was a couple of months old. A childless doctor friend insisted it would work if I blew in her face first she would hold her breath and then I could quickly dunk her under. Didn't work at all.

Nancyclancy Tue 09-Oct-12 20:52:38

When I read this thread earlier I thought, yes, yabu. Then I had to nip out to take my dc to footie practice. While I was there I saw a mum with a baby, that was very newborn, with NO hat on! It was freezing and there was a really chilly wind cutting across the field.
Her little baby was in her arms with his little head exposed. I really felt for him. But I didn't say anything, maybe she'd just forgotten it and didn't need it pointing out.

Noqontrol Tue 09-Oct-12 21:28:54

No hat? shock. How shocking!!

MerryCosIWonaGold Tue 09-Oct-12 21:30:12

wallace grin. Mine too! Shocking isn't it, that my kids love jumping in the pool, going underwater and getting splashed despite only going swimming a few times in their nearly 4 years.

You try newborn twins and a 3yr old in changing rooms and you will understand why my poor, deprived children have only learned to enjoy the water once a year on hols and the handful of times I could be bothered to de-hair every inch of my body.

Also grin at the 200 quid 2birds in 1stone photo. My dsil has one of these on her fridge. Bless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now