To think that it is really strange if you have twins to always dress them the same?

(132 Posts)
jennymac Fri 05-Oct-12 22:54:24

I know a few people with twins, both identical and non-identical, and they dress them in identical clothes all the time. Why would you do this? They are different children, just because they were born the same day, why would you dress them identically? If you had two girls born a year apart would you dress them in the same clothes, day in, day out? I think it is like treating children as if they are dolls!

BlackholesAndRevelations Fri 05-Oct-12 23:21:17

I like twins in same clothes but different colours, too, eg one top each from a set of two with similar designs/colour scheme. However I'm not a mum of twins and can whole heartedly say it doesn't bother me in the slightest what twins wear! grin

MrsBovary Fri 05-Oct-12 23:21:56

In the early days many of us do it for practical reasons (speed and ease of dress), with clothes hanging in pairs in the wardrobe or in drawers. I relaxed out of this a little more as they grew older.

Now I let my twins decide for themselves, and they choose to wear the same outfits. I suspect it won't be too long before they change their minds, however, but it is their choice.

sole no blush (high pitched voice). I was just referring to the posts about couples who dress the same fell flat on my face there.

evil it's true they start out the same but never end up the same grin.

RosesOrQualityStreet Fri 05-Oct-12 23:23:23

I always wondered what a twin mum who likes to dress her twins the same would do if one twin puked all over the outfit. Change both? Or have them not matching for the rest of the day?

Not that mine are twins, but I just change one. Its not like they have to match, they just do most of the time.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Fri 05-Oct-12 23:23:35

I'd do it for cute value sometimes, but not all the time. I don't think it's odd to dress twins alike, although I prefer it when they wear similar things of different colour.

It's no different to the fact that parents dress their children differently anyway. Ds has friends who wear clothes I really don't like sometimes, but obviously their parents like them so that's up to them.

CouthyMowWearingOrange Fri 05-Oct-12 23:25:22

I have a friend who has two DS's, born 11 months apart. She dresses them exactly the same every day. The older of the two is small for his age, and the younger of the two is big for his age. They are the double of each other.

I find it odd tbh.

RosesOrQualityStreet Fri 05-Oct-12 23:26:07

MrsBovary In the early days many of us do it for practical reasons (speed and ease of dress), with clothes hanging in pairs in the wardrobe or in drawers

Yes, that is it for me exactly. I expect when they get older it will change though, as you say and I'll relax out of it.

kissingtoads Fri 05-Oct-12 23:27:48

I never minded being dressed the same as my twin. I think my mum did it because it made buying easier so we never argued over clothes, and I suspect she liked the special attention/cute factor of having identically dressed identical twins.

Biggest ever mistake was splitting us up into different classes in secondary school. Just increased my lack of confidence and shyness. I needed my twin. Separation made us need each other more, not less. You don't like school when you feel insecure. It's a mistake to think you have to actively encourage individuality in twins. Just because we look alike and love each others company does not make it an unhealthy relationship or stunt our emotional and social growth. We already are individuals.

SoleSource Fri 05-Oct-12 23:27:57

Lol mine grin

RosesOrQualityStreet Fri 05-Oct-12 23:29:23

Couthy Our gap is slightly bigger but otherwise that is our situation. The older one is small and the younger one is big so they sort of meet in the middle.
I honestly don't see what is odd though. They like it, they request to match if they aren't and it makes my life easier, its a win win situation for all concerned.

Of course I know it will change as they get older but whilst I am trying to dress two toddlers each morning I think anything that makes life easier is a winner.

RedBlanket Fri 05-Oct-12 23:36:13

I did it when they were babies, mainly because we were given lots of the same outfits, but also because it's cute! I stopped doing it when they were toddlers.
Mine are a bit older now so mostly choose what to wear, but they still have some stuff the same, winter coats fir example unless you're prepared to traipse around half a dozen shops there isn't that much choice for boys.

MakeHayNotStraw Fri 05-Oct-12 23:39:25

I suppose I find it a bit odd, but it doesn't really bother me - although I think I may be a bit more confused if it were a boy/girl twin pairing....depending on the outfit, of course.

I do make it a policy never to dress my two the same, after memories of my DM dressing the (then) 4 of us in identical bright stripy tracksuits so that my parents could see us on a beach holiday. I must have been around 7/8 and am still traumatised <shudder>. Twas evil, I tell you.

WorraLiberty Fri 05-Oct-12 23:39:37

Ziggers you're a fellow people watcher grin

<< Secret handshake >>

AgentZigzag Fri 05-Oct-12 23:43:00

I think I need to make a foray into chat to see if there are any other follow Watchers/Wonderers worra grin

I nearly asked someone I know on fb if they wanted a pombear because what they posted was defo MN Speak <great big ol' chicken>

RosesOrQualityStreet Fri 05-Oct-12 23:43:50

MakeHay No, mine wouldnt match if they were boy/girl just because it wouldn't be any easier shopping. In fact, it would take longer probably. Rather than seeing something I like and just picking up 2 of the same you'd have to find something in the girls dept and then go to the boys dept to see if there was an equivalent? Too much like hard work for me.

santaisNOTathreat Fri 05-Oct-12 23:45:05

bear

AgentZigzag Fri 05-Oct-12 23:49:26

And apologies to OP for not even mentioning twins, to me it's about the 'Awww' reaction the parents get from other people which'd spur it on.

But I doubt, unless it was an extreme case which spilled over into other ways the children are treated, that it'd do the children much long term harm.

BegoniaBampot Fri 05-Oct-12 23:50:09

I used to think it was weird till I had two sons and when out shopping it was very tempting when you found something you liked to just buy 2 of everything. Imagine with twins that feeling's even more so. Anything for an easy life and less bickering. So I don't think it's that weird anymore.

RosesOrQualityStreet Fri 05-Oct-12 23:52:22

Agent Then I must be doing something wrong because we don't get the 'Awww' reaction much!

chipmonkey Sat 06-Oct-12 00:58:28

I remember getting into a lift in a hotel with dh and suddenly realising when we looked in the mirror that were were both wearing the same fleece but his was blue and mine was pink. It was very depressing.

CouthyMowWearingOrange Sat 06-Oct-12 01:06:00

I have two DS's just 19 months apart. It would never have occurred to me to dress them the same tbh. And what about if you had an outfit you loved for the first one, and wanted your second in it? Would you discount it because you don't have a matching one?

It baffles me.

I actually don't find it cute - I find it a little creepy tbh. I can't see how they can express their individual taste in clothing if they are always wearing the same.

My DD is friends with id twins, and they never wore the same either.

fourundersix Sat 06-Oct-12 01:19:15

OP - here's how I make decisions about how to dress my twins.

1. Buy two of everything because it's cheaper
2. Stagger blearily every morning to pile of clothes in bottom drawer.
3. Pull out 1st outfit.
4. Pull out 2nd outfit
5. Dress twins
6. Repeat (two sets of twins in this household)

Sometimes the outfits are the same, sometimes they're different.

Does that answer your question?

Bigwheel Sat 06-Oct-12 01:39:29

How can buying 2 of everything be cheaper than buying individual items fourundersix? That's the main reason I would never dress twins the same, what's the point in buying the same item twice? Surely your better off just buying fewer items which can be worn by either twin? Plus I agree with others, even twins are surely individuals and hence should be dressed / treated as such (although they do look cute dressed the same :-) ).

deleted203 Sat 06-Oct-12 01:41:34

I don't think it's particularly odd, unless the twins themselves hate it. I imagine they probably have some input once they are speaking as to what they are wearing. I know my DDs were very vocal from the age of about 3 as to what they wanted to wear. And sometimes kids are very insistent on looking similar (do you all not remember at school phoning BFF to find out EXACTLY what she was wearing to special events?) I would guess that some twins want to assert their individuality and some want to look the same.

CerseiLannister Sat 06-Oct-12 01:59:39

bigwheel I would imagine its cheaper because of you have four under six its easier to grab two of something in a shop rather than ferret about for two different things in the right size, fail, deal with tantrums, potentially grab something expensive and the go home needing a pint of wine having dragged all your small children around the shops.

I have two lots of twins in a family in my family too so I am speaking from observing that household, not disparaging any super twin mothers here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now