15,000 Kids and Counting - Episode 2

(272 Posts)
Lilka Thu 10-Apr-14 14:14:59

Tonight at 9.00 on Channel 4

The Search
This episode follows the search for adoptive parents for a two-year-old boy and a three and seven-year-old brother and sister

With the added challenges of having slightly older children, siblings and a child with possible health issues to place, the task for social workers Annette and Jackie is a massive one

With the future of these children in their hands and recently set government targets to meet, they struggle not to become emotionally involved as they strive to find adopters before time runs out

Lilka Thu 10-Apr-14 21:22:33

Mrs last episode was about the decision to place a child for adoption instead of return them to their birth parents, completely different children

Lilka Thu 10-Apr-14 21:23:06

You can watch it on 4OD smile

what is the beeping noise in background??

Velvet1973 Thu 10-Apr-14 21:27:36

Just going to say exactly the same giraffe, driving me nuts!

MrsDeVere Thu 10-Apr-14 21:28:15

I thought FAS as soon as I saw Tommy.
Little pixie face.
Bless him.

mineallmine Thu 10-Apr-14 21:28:57

It's really annoying, giraffes. I thought it was my new tumble dryer!

Lilka Thu 10-Apr-14 21:29:44

Same here MrsDV, I did think he might have a few facial features

Caroline and Michelle seem lovely people

Velvet1973 Thu 10-Apr-14 21:29:45

Me too MrsDeVere, a real cutie and seems as bright as a button.

Lilka Thu 10-Apr-14 21:30:00

I can't hear a beeping sound

Mrs4561 Thu 10-Apr-14 21:30:57

Many thanks smile
Will try catch it on 4od.

Velvet1973 Thu 10-Apr-14 21:31:39

Wonder if mr exec producer is reading the thread tonight to see we're less than impressed at their attempt at "dramatic music!" I thought it was the level crossing in the clip at the time but now it's carrying on, what is wrong with these tv producers?

MerryInthechelseahotel Thu 10-Apr-14 21:32:45

I thought the same too.

How sad that she thinks a long term foster carer wouldn't let her sit on her/his knee! Who told her such rubbish! She sits on the social workers knee but wouldn't be able to sit on someone who is parenting her! Outrageous sad

Velvet1973 Thu 10-Apr-14 21:32:47

That beeping Lilka!

Mrs4561 Thu 10-Apr-14 21:33:11

Being completely honest, If you were to adopt, do you think you would be 'picky' about how the child looks?
Perhaps picky isn't the right word, rather, do you think how a child looks would have an impact?

FrankUnderwood Thu 10-Apr-14 21:33:51

Glad you've mentioned the beeping - I've muted the telly 4 times and even went out to the garden to listen for it. Why?!

Tommy is so adoptable, but the panel will have to be okay with the "no male role model" thing. I've heard of boys adoption matching falling at that point.

FelixFelix Thu 10-Apr-14 21:33:53

I was just looking for a thread about this to complain about the beeping! We just had the gas board round about an hour ago as the house which backs on to ours has had a carbon monoxide leak and I keep thinking it's an alarm going off shock

Devora Thu 10-Apr-14 21:36:23

I'm astonished that they're talking about adoption as a prospective adopter's market - it certainly didn't feel that way when I was desperately searching for a match. But then if the number of children up for adoption has doubled, and the number of adopters hasn't...

I do get peed off with this 'they only want babies' stuff, though. It's an incomplete discussion until you start adding in the immersion-in-fear that is adoption preparation, and the terrible state of post-adoption support.

2468Motorway Thu 10-Apr-14 21:37:11

The sib group seem lovely, perhaps if some of the 0-6 cut off families met Lauren (who's only a tiny bit older) they would still want her. She is lovely, it really breaks your heart.

Hoping really hard for a miracle for them.

Velvet1973 Thu 10-Apr-14 21:38:21

I'm sat here aghast at the fact she's scrawling out adopters because they're only approved to 6? Seriously they don't even get asked? Maybe that's why older children are hare to place!

Devora Thu 10-Apr-14 21:38:54

Mrs4561, I think it's very difficult not to be unduly affected by looks when you have so little else to go on. I definitely found my eye drawn to certain kids based on their looks - not just how attractive they were (though I'll admit to that), but whether they looked like my kind of kid.

Velvet it isn't that simple sadly, there will be reasons why they have 6.

MrsDeVere Thu 10-Apr-14 21:42:48

It's true Devora
It's a wonder anyone goes through with adoption at all.
We sat through the same as you did even though we already has DS and were only being assessed for him.

The prep seemed designed to put people off.
But then, what is the alternative?

We can't ave people jumping in without a clue.

I don't know what the answer is.

flightywoman Thu 10-Apr-14 21:45:35

I wouldn't have been bothered about ginger, the bloke that asked that really shocked me!

I think Devora has said it - it wasn't about whether she was pretty, it was about whether she looked like our kind of child.

And we never specified gender till she came along!

Velvet1973 Thu 10-Apr-14 21:47:32

I'm sure there are giraffe for many people but surely some of them will be because that's what they had discussed and not hard and fast rules? We're already finding it hard to narrow down the age range we would like to be approved for and couldn't bear the thought of a child not even being presented to us because they were 1 year older than we'd discussed.

MrsBW Thu 10-Apr-14 21:48:17

Anyone else less than impressed with this 'edition'...? Not because of the beeping, but because of the way 'Bad Picky Adopters' are being portrayed? Again?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now