When do you put up your tree?

(86 Posts)
Nix01 Fri 18-Oct-13 11:13:07

I'm thinking 1 December this year?

VikingVagine Sun 20-Oct-13 07:47:45

1st December; might as well make the most of it for as long as possible (no birthdays here in December so not a problem).

pudseypie Sun 20-Oct-13 06:59:13

No space for a tree and like very minimalist decorations as my house is so tiny it feels cluttered with anything up. Bah humbug! Last year had a wreath on front door and berries on fireplace and left it at that. Might have to make more effort this year as dc will be 2...

MmmmWhiteWine Sat 19-Oct-13 23:44:41

This year prob 8th Dec...to me it has to be a Sunday to put up your tree, no idea why....? Any earlier seems to soon but the 15th seems a bit late. But then I like my tree down as soon as poss after NY. Can't be doing with it hanging about til 12th night.

AllOverIt Sat 19-Oct-13 13:07:18

DS's birthday is on the 8th so it goes up on the 9th

GillyBillyWilly Sat 19-Oct-13 12:30:59

Growing up we would always put the decorations and tree up around 10 days before Christmas. Probably around the 15th-ish.

However, I LOVE Christmas.. Can't get enough and want to enjoy it for as long as possible!
So DH and I usually put ours up on 1st December smile
And 1st December is a Sunday this year so that's PERFECT!

Elsiequadrille Sat 19-Oct-13 12:19:23

"About a week before. But I still feel anything before 23rd December is a bit ITV "

grin

mrsyattering Sat 19-Oct-13 12:16:46

will be 19th December here...the first day of school holidays

MortifiedAdams Sat 19-Oct-13 12:13:03

Usually the first but since dd was born, its the evening of the 19th (her birthday) after she goes to bed. We celebrate christmas proper after that.

Dawndonnaagain Sat 19-Oct-13 12:09:39

7th December. My birthday is the 6th. grin

OldRoan Sat 19-Oct-13 11:08:52

Fake one is assembled on 30th November ready to decorate first weekend of December (get to enjoy the fun of decorations without the huffing and puffing sorting the branches out).

Real tree...about 2 weeks before Christmas, depending on when the weekends fall.

Christmas tree goes up the Saturday/Sunday before Christmas and comes down on 12th Night. I would prefer it to go up Christmas Eve but I'm generally too busy that day as I work for the church and we are wall to wall services that day.

The church Christmas tree which is 30 ft high is going up at the beginning of December this year as the season of Christmas outside of the Church starts around 1st December when inside the church we are observing Advent. We are going to experiment with having the tree and crib out so that those people who pop into the church during the day to remember loved ones will see some of Christmas even through, technically, it is too early.

cocoleBOO Sat 19-Oct-13 08:40:57

First Sunday in December, it comes down the day after Boxing Day. Last year I took the baubles off it, kept the lights and tinsel on it and stuck it in the cupboard under the stairs. This way I don't have to spend hours untangling the hundreds of lights I put on it grin.

I have fairy lights up all year round blush.

Another 1st of December here as I love cosy night's snuggled with couvers, fairy lights, movies and my family utter bliss

on the flip side I take it down Christmas night I am a meany after all yhe mess of the millions of presents I cant stand the mess grin

oops no4 son even ^

It always used to be the first weekend in December, but since no son got old enough to understand, he always asks if we can do it on his borthday (Dec 13th) so we have cake and pop and the DCs decorate the tree as part of his birthday celebrations now.
I do like to take it down on New Year's Day, even though DH prefers to wait for Jan 6th.

ringaringarosy Fri 18-Oct-13 22:49:20

Last weekend of November here!

pastelmacaroons Fri 18-Oct-13 21:15:45

bunbaker

Why does his his bday have to be so separate from xmas, my DH wouldn't give a shit and would prefer to defer to the children.

Do you decorate the house for his birthday with banners or anything? Just curious.....

but i am an old gimmer at a stage where i dont care for birthdays anymore

pastelmacaroons Fri 18-Oct-13 21:13:10

IN our case its more a question of when will the tree be taken down.

I tend to take it down mid January, depending on smell, or sometimes if it will last, the decs and tree can still very happily be up until Valentines day. thlshock

I find January a very tough cold depressing month and I have no wish to add to that by stripping the house back to ordinary just because somewhere once some one said it should be so.

<sticks tongue out - so there>

Will probably put it up on the 8th this year and take it down on the 2nd Jan. I don't think you'll get a fair sample on here though as most of us have been in the Christmas spirit since the start of Sept grin

Bunraku Fri 18-Oct-13 20:26:11

1st December but since it's a Sunday I can't guarantee I won't give in to temptation on the Saturday smile

Always the first weekend in December. My parents did this when we were little and we still do it now. I LOVE christmas.

fuzzpig Fri 18-Oct-13 17:49:53

Usually around the time the DCs break up from school. Our living room is tiny.

Bunbaker Fri 18-Oct-13 17:45:55

OH's birthday is on4th January so the tree goes down before then so Christmas and his birthday are separate. I am desperately sick of the clutter by then anyway.

Floralnomad Fri 18-Oct-13 17:28:47

I think when you take the tree down is a more interesting question ,although ours goes up on the first weekend of December it's generally down by Dec 28th . We put up a lot of outside lights as well so those go up the last weekend in November so they're ready to turn on on the first , if you don't turn them on then its really not worth the aggravation of spending a day putting them up .

Chubfuddler Fri 18-Oct-13 17:22:27

It's a tension. I'd love the tree up 1st December but I prefer a real tree , and the fucker will stink of dead tree by Xmas day if it has to last that long.

I might start with lights and decs on the 1st.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now