Anyone watching Texas senator Wendy Davis filibuster the anti-abortion bill?

(421 Posts)
MmeLindor Tue 25-Jun-13 21:08:33

You can watch here

She has to talk till midnight, so that is 13hours. Without a break, without sitting down.

mignonette Wed 26-Jun-13 21:46:12

Dear Mr Dewhurst,

Go Fuck Yourself. But wear a condom (Planned Parenthood).....Let's all tweet the arsehole.

hermioneweasley Wed 26-Jun-13 21:55:39

Why men feel they have the right to lead the charge on this issue, I have no idea. And dressing it up as concern for women is simply vile.

I have emailed Wendy as well, I hope she feels the avalanche of gratitude from around the world.

edam Wed 26-Jun-13 22:05:06

YY anti-choice men can fuck right off but anti-choice women are equally wrong. Both genders need to keep their noses out of other peoples' wombs.

mignonette Wed 26-Jun-13 22:11:59

They can fuck off too. I'm equal opportunity foul mouthed, me..

edam Wed 26-Jun-13 22:14:27

grin

That old line about 'don't like abortion? Don't have one, then' is still true today...

CaptChaos Wed 26-Jun-13 22:15:38

Such a sore loser, and yet a loser he remains

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Wed 26-Jun-13 22:39:08

*Dear Mr.Dewhurst,
I have to say I think you might be slightly off track here,
Yours
Women all over the world.*

grin

Oh, yes.

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Wed 26-Jun-13 22:40:33

Btw, could he have looked any more lemon-faced while Whitmire was asking him if the next number after two was three and telling everyone else (over half an hour) how important it is to play nice?

(I kinda loved that bit.)

FreedomOfTheTess Wed 26-Jun-13 22:43:23

BREAKING NEWS...

Governor Rick Perry has called a second special session to debate and vote on SB5.

He said, "we will not allow the breakdown of decorum and decency to prevent us from doing what the people of this state hired us to do."

Session to be held on 1st July.

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Wed 26-Jun-13 22:46:27

Fuck it. Really? They really abhor women having control over their own fertility don't they?

Can it be stopped?

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Wed 26-Jun-13 22:46:56

Oh, great. sad

Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed. I was really impressed by some of the senators, they were brilliant so I hope they get their message across.

This probably sounds stupid, but does anyone know if there's anything we can do? I'd love to be able to petition or donate or something just to show how strong the feeling - maybe to make some of these people see that the rest of the world is wondering what the fuck they're on?

5madthings Wed 26-Jun-13 22:49:43

Ffs I hope they don't get it through. What are the chances?

FreedomOfTheTess Wed 26-Jun-13 22:50:15

Visit Planned Parenthood - you can donate to them.

5madthings Wed 26-Jun-13 22:51:36

malenky I donated to planned parenthood (who this bill would affect) they do great work smile

And yes petitions? I have found a Texas pro choice fb group I have followed and another women's rights one just to help share links and spread the message.

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Wed 26-Jun-13 22:53:01

Thank you!

Would you mind sending me the link, 5mad, I would really like to follow the Texas group.

I'd not thought of donating to planned parenthood but of course, that's the obvious thing.

FreedomOfTheTess Wed 26-Jun-13 22:54:12

Honestly?

The chances are it will get through. I can see Perry, the arsehole that he is, trying to find a loophole in order to lock the public out of Senate for the session.

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Wed 26-Jun-13 22:57:23

I'm hoping that, even if it gets through (and it does look as if it will), the Filibuster will have raised awareness and might lead to more debate and, maybe, a reversal in the future.

5madthings Wed 26-Jun-13 22:57:56

m.plannedparenthood.org/mt/www.plannedparenthood.org/

This the webpage, at the bottom is a link to follow to donate.

5madthings Wed 26-Jun-13 22:59:40

But it was for america, I just got a relative to donate and transfered the money (they are in america) there must be a way to donate tho.

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Wed 26-Jun-13 22:59:51

Yes, I have the link for donating and have shared it on facebook already - if you don't want to share the Texas group, would you mind PMing me? Not if you don't feel comfortable though.

5madthings Wed 26-Jun-13 23:01:25

Its shit. Can they not insist on amendments, or challenge it legally?

Plus I read in north Dakota the limit is six weeks or a detected heartbeat? Is that being challenged?

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Wed 26-Jun-13 23:02:10

Sorry, cross post.

There is, it's here: https://secure.ppaction.org/site/SPageServer?pagename=pp_ppol_Nondirected_OneTimeGift&s_src=ppol_onetimegift_old

You just check 'none' under state and choose 'uk' under country, so far as I can see (I've just shared this so just donating).

5madthings Wed 26-Jun-13 23:03:38

www.prochoicetexas.org

This is their webpage on fb look up naral pro choice Texas and it should be at the top of the groups that come up.

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Wed 26-Jun-13 23:05:00

It appears to go through.

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Wed 26-Jun-13 23:05:41

Thanks very much, 5mad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now