Flood watch - add your images

(98 Posts)
RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 10-Feb-14 13:45:54

Hi all,

We have been following the news and several threads on Mumsnet about the flooding in Somerset and the South West and we wanted to point you in the direction of this thread if you'd like to help.

We are thinking of pulling together a gallery of flood images from where you are to help to raise awareness of what so many are going through at the moment.

Please do post images of flooding near you below (you will see you can now post images in the Weather topic)

Thanks all, and we hope those affected are safe and well.

Thank you for the pointer Rebecca. I hadn't seen that appeal thread.

I've been watching on the news about how communities are pulling together across the south to look after the flood victims. I really hope that the mn community can do the same.

nannynick Mon 10-Feb-14 16:49:41

Here are some images from Runnymede, taken from the JFK Memorial site.

nannynick Mon 10-Feb-14 16:51:34

Not as bad in Runnymede as it is in Sommerset, yet seems like the Thames flooding is getting more news coverage currently.

Thoughts are with all those where ever they are in the country who are affected by flooding.

nemno Mon 10-Feb-14 17:01:35

My patio, which is the same level as the ground floor of our house and where it joins our lawn! Actually this is 9/1/14 but another month and no difference. Thames btw

hows it going now nemno?

nemno Mon 10-Feb-14 17:16:33

It is exactly that close. We've been on high alert and high tension for over a month. Everything is ready for the inevitable so it's ok. The loo, shower etc don't work obviously.

And I don't like your forecast! But I won't shoot the messenger smile

Waswondering Mon 10-Feb-14 17:24:24

Manga, if you use the (apple) app, as I do, you can't see images. Might this be fixed in the next app-debug-upgrade?

Waswondering Mon 10-Feb-14 17:24:43

MNHQ. Not manga. Autocorrect!

thank you for that - I dont like my forecast either. It must be exhausting to live on high alert constantly.

nemno Mon 10-Feb-14 18:00:34

Every cm drop is a triumph, every ml of rain a tragedy. But we now own fabulous dehumidifiers :D, and a not-so-fabulous chemical loo.

Nocomet Mon 10-Feb-14 18:02:19

Not mine, but the coast Guards of stupid people on the main road into Gloucester the Seven has gone walkabout, again

Nocomet Mon 10-Feb-14 18:03:26

Sorry you need to scroll down and let the pics load.

BuildUpMyFence Mon 10-Feb-14 22:01:03

I used to live so close to Runnymede river last year.

now live a bit more uphill. No flooding here but neverending rain!

Can't imagine how it must feel to be told to evacuate your home, how scary sad

Mylittlepotofjoy Tue 11-Feb-14 11:09:48

It's a nightmare having to evacuate but it's worse not being able to go home for months sad

nemno Tue 11-Feb-14 11:39:38

The aftermath is the bit I'm dreading Mylittlepotofjoy, you have my greatest sympathy and good wishes.

sisterofmercy Tue 11-Feb-14 12:50:31

We had some flooding in the weekend in Hertfordshire. The River Colne is a tributary of the Thames and normally I worry about it running dry. In 20 years of living there I have never known the water so high and as I live 1/2 a mile away up a hill I didn't think I could be affected. I had one hell of a shock this weekend as the water went as far as the steps up to my flat. My stomach turned upside down and stayed upset all weekend. The water has receded now but I am scared of the next few weeks.

The second photo is the aptly named Water lane - which often gets blocked by standing water each winter but doesn't normally join forces with the River!

MrChow Tue 11-Feb-14 20:52:15

I travel past this, it'll be a while before I got his way again.

Nocomet Tue 11-Feb-14 21:34:13

The 'road' to school, forecast for tomorrow - heavy rain

KouignAmann Wed 12-Feb-14 00:12:59

This was my town last week in Devon. Although it was sudden and severe spring tide flooding everybody was prepared and the council were fantastic. The pubs all stayed open and were used to evacuate people to. Nobody was hurt and the whole community was buzzing and pulling together. We may have to face it again with the next spring tides at the weekend.

ssd Wed 12-Feb-14 09:44:31

these pictures are truly shocking

my heart goes out to everyone affected sad x

This is the view from the library in Worcester. Where the boat is-that's the actual river. Everything else is usually a road and car parks. The main bridge over the river is now closed causing chaos.

MrsFruitcake Wed 12-Feb-14 14:27:44

This is the road outside my house and my front garden and driveway. DH and the DCs were using the RC boat on it. The area to the left of the picture is the village pond, which quite often overflows, but we've been here 8 years and this is the worst time yet.

We can't park on the drive as the water totally covers it and getting in and out of the house is a nightmare. Hasn't actually come as far as the front door yet though.

ImogensMumJess Wed 12-Feb-14 15:01:08

This is my grandmother getting rescued by the firebrigade yesterday! She had been stuck in for the majority of this year (2 1/2 weeks in Jan, and since beginning of Feb) as her road is next to the river and inbetween a flood plain. She has never seen it like this before and shes very old lived there 35 years
m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26144238?SThisFB

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now