Anyone ever walked out of a job....literally walked out?

(131 Posts)
nocontactforevermore Thu 23-Jan-14 14:38:33

I posted a thread on AIBU a few weeks ago and fb eh suggested asking on here as well. I have been in a temp post 6 weeks approx. Its part time, an academy and basically awful. In the briefest terms, the dept is a mess, kids are wild, and have embarked on an almost predicable witch hunt against me because they are disillusioned, fed up etc. The kids seem to rule the school, calling me foul names etc. Line manager tries to support, takes naughtiest out etc, but it's truly awful. No books, little ICT equipment, kids wee even studying wrong exam board. It's dreadful.

I want out. Union just said 'check their terms and conditions to see when you can leave/read the behaviour policy etc. useless.

Trouble is, I don't even want to go back Monday. I feel ill already and I'm only part time. I literally cannot face it.
I've had an 11 year unbroken career before this and took this jib so I could be in a less stressful role. I was a middle manager before this with a successful track record. I'm an idiot.

winklewoman Sat 25-Jan-14 18:09:33

Vicar , to be stressed is not necessarily to be a 'loser' , the way an individual deals with the stressful situation is what defines that description. You did not roll ever and take the easy way out, you did not give up, you came back and and hats off to you for your courage. Sadly the advice to 'go off sick ' is often dished out as an easy solution regardless of the chaos and indeed stress it might cause to everyone else. Not every 'stressed' teacher is stressed because they have a wicked HT, a crap school and difficult pupils, some are just no good at the job. This is by no means aimed at the OP by the way.

Lj8893 Sat 25-Jan-14 18:14:57

Yes. But I was 18 and it was a bar job so wasent ever going to be detrimental to a career.

We got a new landlord in and before I'd even got a chance to introduce myself he told me he was going to have to cut my hours, I explained that I didn't drive and half of my wages go on transport to and from work so wouldn't be beneficial for me to work part time, he didn't care.

In my break (I was on a split shift) I went to another pub up the road who said they had a full time position if I could start that night. I accepted and just never showed up for my shift at the original pub. A part time member who was meant to be working with me that evening also got a job at the new pub and started that evening........along with all the regular customers. grin good job they had no customers really, as they had no staff!

ICantFindAFreeNickName Wed 29-Jan-14 23:43:39

I think the 18 day countdown is the way to go. Once you have a leaving date, you might find it relieves some of the stress anyway.
When you do resign, ask if they will let you go early, they may not agree to it, but it's worth a try.
If you need the money, could you then do a little bit of supply work until you figure out what you want to do. That way you can get experience of working in a few different schools and can be 'busy' if a school you don't like calls you.

winklewoman Thu 30-Jan-14 12:30:44

The 18 day count down must have counted down to 16 by now, hang on in there!

ICantFindAFreeNickName Thu 30-Jan-14 22:28:09

We could all do a daily countdown on Mumsnet & give you lots of encouragement.

MrsJoeDolan Fri 31-Jan-14 11:43:23

15 days and counting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now