What's the best name you have heard for a dog??

(320 Posts)
scarlettlips Fri 05-Aug-11 20:10:16

Today whist out for a walk...a dog owner was yelling for her dog in the park. At speed a Jack Russell called....Shackleton...comes flying out of some bushes.

Big name, small dog! IMO Brilliant grin

{{Appeals to NMHQ to add a Dog's Name Section blush just for fun..please!}}

Choufleur Fri 05-Aug-11 20:11:40

We wanted to call our dog Steve but DS vetoed it. He's now called Jake.

catinboots Fri 05-Aug-11 20:12:03

Slightly off topic but can I include horse names? The bestist horse name I ever came acroos was Bathtub.... Untill I met, wait for it, <drumroll>............... LAPTOP!!! I kid you not grin

scarlettlips Fri 05-Aug-11 20:12:05

A White West Highland Terrier called Porridge, Springer called Crumble and a Jack Russell called Tickerbell hmm

lockets Fri 05-Aug-11 20:12:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mycatsaysach Fri 05-Aug-11 20:13:25

cadbury was the naughty dog in our training class grin

Choufleur Fri 05-Aug-11 20:13:27

Our cat is called Dave. So is our next door neighbour.

scarlettlips Fri 05-Aug-11 20:15:13

Baby names...sodding everywhere!!! Pet names MUCH more fun.

We have a 'Dog List' of baby names...they inc all the names which DH vetoed whist pregnant. No one raises eyebrows if you have a dog called Orlando or Rupert..I will have my Hamish smile

feckwit Fri 05-Aug-11 20:15:41

There is a Noodle in our village...

He's a Poodle.

mycatsaysach Fri 05-Aug-11 20:16:24

my hound is rolo - but orlando sometimes too

mycatsaysach Fri 05-Aug-11 20:16:47

love noodle the poodle

catinboots Fri 05-Aug-11 20:17:55

Scarlett - every name DH came up with when I was pregnant I vetoed. Too doggy, too horsey etc.

Fast forward to us walking in the park when DS2 was 4 days old. A huge filthy, chocolate labrador came bounding out of the lake with a red faced woman running behind him hollering "Hugo, Hugo.."

Yep, you guessed it. DS2 is called Hugo grin

catinboots Fri 05-Aug-11 20:18:25

I also knew a beautiful silver whippet called Mr Whippy

Empusa Fri 05-Aug-11 20:18:58

I once knew a driving instructor with a small dog called Hubcap! grin

pud1 Fri 05-Aug-11 20:21:08

i have a dog called Darren. it is just normal to me but i have just bumped into my new neighbour as i was walking the dog. he is also called Darren so when he asked the dogs name i think he thought i was taking the piss

emptyshell Fri 05-Aug-11 20:26:06

We have a Trevor the Terrier around our way, also a husky called Skoda (two names you usually hear yelled CONSTANTLY all he time). One of our dogs was Brian while in rescue (he'd been brought in with a short haired dog who was Freddie from Freddie Mercury and he had long hair so was Brian May) - but none of the staff could spell so he was down as Brain on every bit of documentation going... never has a dog been so inappropriately named cos he's stoopid.

Think Sprocket is a great name for a dog (anyone remember Fraggle Rock?).

The bad dog in our training class was a chocolate lab called Chewbacca!

Joolyjoolyjoo Fri 05-Aug-11 20:31:06

I met 2 gorgeous dogs last week called Fred and Wilma grin And we had a surgery cat called Colin, which really suited him! I also used to know a lively little dog called Boogie.

scarlettlips Fri 05-Aug-11 20:33:50

Chewbacca is superb..{adds to list}

Sir Didymus from the film Labyrinth!

Empusa Fri 05-Aug-11 20:35:31

"Sir Didymus from the film Labyrinth!"

I love it!

roundtoit Fri 05-Aug-11 20:36:22

long long time ago when i was little our dog was called Bingo it was supposed to be Bengo after a kids programme with Bengo the boxer dog in it but our dog got called bingo for some reason.

scarlettlips Fri 05-Aug-11 20:38:32

{{grin pats herself on the back grin}}

DH says no...[stamps feet}

5inthebed Fri 05-Aug-11 20:41:08

We used to have a collie x called Eddie, he was fab! And I had a sausage dog called Chipolota, Chip for short.

Hubcap is brilliant, genius.

I've known a couple of Taxis. Also had a frined with a dos called Snogger, ideal for bellowing across Wimbledon Common in the summer.

alp Fri 05-Aug-11 20:51:13

Oh dear...naughty dog in our training class was called ....I'm waiting for my dogs name to come up blush

I'd like to say now; shes not naughty just very fast (or so the trainers say)

She is a Springer Spaniel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now