Downton Abbey Discussion continued...

(1000 Posts)
ErikNorseman Sun 07-Oct-12 22:08:05

Here!

LadyHarrietdeSpook Mon 08-Oct-12 15:29:01

Never thought I'd say this but I almost wish it had worked out with Lav.

MeFour Mon 08-Oct-12 15:34:01

Saltire
No I do too
Then I have to keep it so I can go and look at what people are talking about on here

Edith is channelling Beyonce and singing 'All the Single Ladies (under 30 should be allowed to vote)'.

Like.

springyhope Mon 08-Oct-12 16:20:24

The huge research team wouldn't let wrong stuff through.

except 'sort out some sandwiches for branson, carson'

sort out? <sigh> I want to at least pretend that DA is real, with real live people in it. Can't with all that american stuff in. I can just see them all in their trailers wearing jeans.

Animation Mon 08-Oct-12 16:34:02

Oh man! can't believe I fell asleep on the settee five minutes into it last night - just as they were opening letters and Anna didn't have one. confused

I'm reading what you're saying - but I can't get a clue. confused

Will watch tonight. smile

Yes, that was cringey. I suspect the script actually said "ask Mrs Patmore to cut some sandwiches" but Lady Mary ad libbed. Tsk.

What about new footman to Alfred about Carson "He acts like he's the big cheese".
Alfred "He is the big cheese".

Big cheese???!

springyhope Mon 08-Oct-12 19:03:49

Where can we send these complaints? I suppose it's all filmed now but I'd like to get to the 'big cheese' in all this and Be Heard.

they're talking about cheese on the Archers <weird>

Felicitywascold Mon 08-Oct-12 19:05:24

I do wish Mrs Hughes would wake up next to Carson one morning!

This. Or at the very least a snog in the wine cellar..

Does anyone have an OED? There are usually dates on slang expressions.

diddl Mon 08-Oct-12 19:20:52

From what I have found-1920s

Then the scriptwriters are showing off again.

squoosh Mon 08-Oct-12 19:57:38

Carson is dying to polish Mrs Hughes' silver ware and she is dying to grab his bouillon spoon.

Filth.

Felicitywascold Mon 08-Oct-12 20:07:21

My DH likes to pronounce Downton 'Filthy' at points of slight innuendo during the programme. Makes for entertaining viewing when every nown again I hear the word muttered darkly from someone who's in the room but pretending not to be watching!

Felicitywascold Mon 08-Oct-12 20:09:22

"The first reference there to 'big cheese' meaning wealth or fame comes from 'O. Henry' (William Sydney Porter), in Unprofessional Servant, 1910"

From a uk website about the origin of slang terms.

dementedma Mon 08-Oct-12 20:15:16

If Mary is barren or Matthew firing blanks then there will be no heir,and if Sybil has a boy then the irishman's son will inherit.
I don't think there is any way Pickle would have gone into service with the hated English in the first place.

diddl Mon 08-Oct-12 20:17:52

If the estate is entailed, I thought it could only go through the male line.

How can another man´s son inherit?

It would have to be a male relative of Matthew.

dementedma Mon 08-Oct-12 20:23:28

Hmm. But if there is no son or anymore nephews.....then what would happen?

diddl Mon 08-Oct-12 20:25:06

If Matthew is the last male, does that mean that the entail would no longer apply & he can leave it to who he wishes?

I don't know. He hasn't got any brothers. No pressure then Mary.

In which case I stand corrected re the Big Cheese. Bloody JF!

Am eagerly looking forward to ructions between Matthew and Lord Fatty Bum Bum over financial mismanagement. Maybe Carson's been fiddling the books somehow - backdoor trade in vintage port or suchlike.

The scene with Ethel and Charlie was so sad!

Moln Mon 08-Oct-12 22:55:05

Lord fatty bum bum is such a wally, telling Matthew everything was fine (or whatever he said)

Yes yes that's right Fatty Bum Bum, because it's not like your only just after losing a fortune is it

squoosh Mon 08-Oct-12 23:04:38

I did think 'oooh controversial' when Lord Fatty Bungle from Rainbow said there was 'something of the johnny foreigner' about Catholics.

This thread is not accepting new messages.