Thank you MNers, I have just cut my own hair and it looks

(475 Posts)
JackBauer Thu 16-Apr-09 19:30:44

frigging awesome!

I used a method from this thread and then something similar to trim the back.
I did have same length below shoulder hair and now it is all layered and light and pretty.
And it took 10 minutes in the kitchen with a brush, hairband and some scissors!

MuffinBaker Thu 16-Apr-09 20:53:01

You look lovely grin

TheDevilEatsNestle Thu 16-Apr-09 20:53:25

Oh wow! well done.

I've been known to hack at mine before, I might try this. I had a straight above shoulder bob cut last week and I hate it.

macherie Thu 16-Apr-09 20:53:40

Wow, good job, it's great - you look lovely smile

Now you can go and spend the money you would have paid the hairdresser on some new shoes!

TheDevilEatsNestle Thu 16-Apr-09 20:53:57

I may have trouble doing it with only the use of one arm though, hehe

TigersEasterchick Thu 16-Apr-09 20:55:08

JB - that looks fab! Wish I had the guts to cut my own hair ... very tempted to just trim the ends but am too much of a wuss!

Totally agree about hairdressers ripping us off ... DH and I used to go to the same place; DH's was combed, trimmed, shaved, shaped and waxed 6 quid ... mine was combed straight (not even washed) and trimmed in a straight line: 22quid shockhmm

mileniwmffalcon Thu 16-Apr-09 20:56:19

looking good

Your hair does look good btw.
I cant cut my own - I cant even do my own fringe without it looking odd / short / wonky, so I do lurve my sister grin

iMum Thu 16-Apr-09 20:57:42

I wanna do it, im gonna do it, shall i do it?

mileniwmffalcon Thu 16-Apr-09 20:59:21

only if you post pics grin

expatinscotland Thu 16-Apr-09 20:59:48

Oh, wow! Your hair is gorgeous (and I'd kill for clear skin like that envy).

JackBauer Thu 16-Apr-09 21:08:01

Ooh, compliments, thanksgrin

Eyeballs, if it helps I am envy of curly hair. DD2 has got lovely curls growing now and DD1 has poker straight hair.

BitOfFun Thu 16-Apr-09 21:11:28

Oh Devil, how is your arm/shoulder? Come and visit me and I'll get drunk and cut your hair! grin

lou33 Thu 16-Apr-09 21:21:48

looks v nice

EachPeachPearMum Thu 16-Apr-09 21:22:03

Wow! That is so good- you look fabulous smile
You are very brave though... don't think I'd dare!

SoupDragon Thu 16-Apr-09 21:23:17

"as expat says, haircuts are a complete rip off."

No, that's simply an opinion. Mine is my one personal indulgence and worth every penny (and impossible to do on myself). I cut all my children's hair though. And dye it myself.

bohemianbint Thu 16-Apr-09 21:28:27

Blimey - that's impressive. Wish I'd seen this before blowing a silly amount of cash on my hair the other week. (But then, I am getting married in a few weeks, prob not the best time to start with the DIY haircuts...wink)

expatinscotland Thu 16-Apr-09 21:28:46

It's an indulgence because it's over-priced.

My hair is straight with no layers.

So I always wonder why it costs so much to have it professionally cut but my husband's only cost £8.

this may not have worked, but if it has, my profile will be showing a pic from my past of when an untrained person cut my hair...

JackBauer Thu 16-Apr-09 21:53:23

shock NotmyELF!

Fair enough Soupy.
I do love having my haircut but it just seems like such an extravagence when I could spend the money on fabric to fund my sewing obsession and spend the time sans DC's sitting on the beach reading a book!

I haven't cut the DD's hair yet though. I trimmed DD1's nearly 2 years ago and took as small amount off DD2's fringe but other than that they have never had their hair cut!

mileniwmffalcon Thu 16-Apr-09 21:58:17

um, is that you with the fringe elf? <stifles giggles until reassured that it isn't a pic or elf's dd...>

mileniwmffalcon Thu 16-Apr-09 21:58:33

of elf's dd

lol, no its me. Its about 15 years ago now so I'm thick skinned enough to be okay about it now grin

My sister cuts DD's hair (well fringe, she hasn't had her hair done as yet) and I'd be pretty cross if she came back looking like I did!!

mileniwmffalcon Thu 16-Apr-09 22:03:07

i inflicted terrible fringes on dd1, the pics are cringe inducing, and as a result haven't been able to bring myself to cut dd2's hair at all, at least now (at nearly 2) it's just about long enough to tuck behind her ears. mind you, i cut dd1's into a bob and everyone was mighty impressed i did it, it looked pretttty good though i say so myself.

BillSilverFoxBuchanan Thu 16-Apr-09 22:09:21

Your hair looks fab Jack smile

I highly recommend the basics hairdressing scissord from Boots. For about £7/8 you get a proper pair as well as a set of thinning shears.

I started cutting my own a couple of months ago and people don't believe me when I say that I do it myself. Not sure if that's a compliment or not!

BitOfFun Thu 16-Apr-09 22:13:32

Aww, I had to cut dd2's fringe last week because it was in her eyes and she had conjunctivitis...she can't sit still to save her life, and now her beautiful auburn locks resemble a gonk blush

Still, it will grow...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now