Please dress me for 2 days in Paris & 2 days in Disneyland!

(84 Posts)

I've totally lost my way with clothes. I can do smart and elegant quite well and like wearing dresses but casual totally eludes me.

Can anyone please suggest a couple of outfits smart enough for Paris, but also practical for sightseeing with 2 small children and for then going on the Disneyland in? I'm 5' 3", a flat-chested size 8 and blonde.

Make sure you have v comfortable shoes!

Other than that, black 7/8ths trousers and maybe some navy cigarette trousers? Couple of plain jersey dresses?

What's the weather likely to be doing?

QueenCadbury Sat 18-May-13 20:41:53

Second the comfortable shoes! Also a waterproof with hood. You won't want to be bumping into people with an umbrella.

If it's likely to rain the don't do jeans as they'll be so uncomfortable if wet. I'd go for trousers either chino type or as remus said 7/8th.

On top I'd go for layers to easily take off/put on.

And don't worry about at style at euro disney. Go comfort all the way. Enjoy!

DD1 has a brilliant mac that is parka shape and colour but pak-a-mac style fabric. It looks v stylish.

I've got these in black and am utterly in love with them.

We don't go until half-term so unsure of weather. Current long range forecast says warm and sunny while we're in Paris and warn and rainy at Disneyland but they're not very accurate, are they? I have spent about 2 weeks tying to find a smart trenchcoat with a hood with absolutely no luck. Will now have a look at lightweight hooded parkas. Remus where did your daughter get hers?

What shoes do you wear with 7/8 trousers?

I think it was Topshop, but I've just seen a gorgeous one on the Whistles site.

QueenCadbury Sat 18-May-13 22:02:17

I'm going to sound like an old fart here but would you not be better off buying a proper technical waterproof that will keep you properly dry when you're queuing for bloody hours to meet Cinderella

smile

MrsShrek3 Sat 18-May-13 22:08:18

another old fart suggestion blush but I think some black or navy linen trousers are a total cover-all-eventualities (and don't show child-related dirtwink ) nice tops & heels and dress up for dinner, flat pumps and t-shirt and you're good to go for miles round Disney. with a waterproof and hoooge bag, obvgrin

Laquila Sat 18-May-13 22:14:58

OP I saw some nice duffle-style parkas with hoods today in Fat Face - lightweight (not padded), nice fabric, not "too Fat Face" and you'd probably get good use out of one in the UK.

Other than that, I'd suggest jersey wrap or empire-line tunics/dresses (examples here and here.

Wear themwith leggings, a cardy, cool jewellery and comfortable flats (I remember being in Paris once in very painful shoes and buying the MOST comfortable tan leather loafers in Zara - I felt v comfy and actually v Parisian when wearing them!)

Also - definitely layers - although I'd always err on the side of fewer rather than too many - in my experience it's easy to get hot and bothered whilst sightseeing, regardless of how cold it is! A nice floaty scarf is useful too - I have a grey snakeskin print one from M&S that is very lightweight but cosy, and looks much more expensive than it actually is.

WC jersey dresses are brilliant - I love them.

Found this in Millets (oh the shame). Not properly waterproof but probably better than something from Topshop etc?

MrsShrek3 I find pumps are often too flat and make my fet ache. Any suggestons for comfy ones? And can you please find me some nice tops?!

PoppyWearer Sat 18-May-13 22:17:00

For Paris: black, black and more black. Then chuck a nice scarf artfully around your neck.

A cross-body bag to keep stuff safe from pickpockets.

Laquila Sat 18-May-13 22:34:26

Ooh Remus, I was considering buying the curved waistband one myself - you've just persuaded me! Do you have any advice re the sizing? I have a WC linen tunic-type dress which fits fine but have turned the house upside down and can't find it so no idea what size it is! I'm normally a 12-14 but currently 6 mths pregnant, although relatively small bump. Big boobs though...do you think M or L?

Sorry for hijack, OP!

They come up big (am a norky 12 and need a small) so probably a medium but wil depend on bump size. They do tend to need a cami under on bigger boobs though.

Nehru Sun 19-May-13 08:56:02

It still might be jeans and shoes weather

Can anyone tell me if the Millets jacket I linked to above is totally vile? I am losing all perspective! I prefer this Whistles one but I am tiny and I know I'll look ridiculous in it.

The Whistles one is gorgeous. That's the one I meant. I'm afraid the Millets one is doing nothing for me tbh - the colour doesn't help.

I like the Whistles one but truly I am tiny and will look stupid in it.

Nehru Sun 19-May-13 16:12:38

why not just wear a normal coat?

Because the general consensus is that it's going to rain and the only waterpoof coat I've got is a Barbour which is far too warm for Spring/Summer. And I had this fantasy thatthe perfect coaty/jackety thing would pull everything together and make me look smart.

Have just returned from brief shpoing sortie (hampered by 2 DSs) which resulted in me coming home with unflattering tops and cardigan, getting cross wth DH for telling me and then having a big cry in my bedroom and telling everyone to go away. It's not looking good...

That should obviously read shopping. Can you tell I've been at the medicinal Campari?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now