£800 to spend on a bag what would you go for

(242 Posts)
buttercrumble Fri 22-Feb-13 11:12:13

Been lusting after a bayswater for ages. But something holding me back, which other bags are classics which wont date....

Allthingspretty Sun 24-Feb-13 14:25:51

I dont think that you will stand a good chance of getting a oak bays at any oytlwt butter to be honeat. They are open today so give them a call. If they do have a perfect one they can post them out.

PenfoldRocks Sun 24-Feb-13 17:53:39

I've been to shepton mallet outlet today to buy my 40th birthday pressie. Only bays were in khaki, fuscia or off white unless you want to pay 2 grand for ponyskin. I went in with the bays in mind but the tote too big and the satchel too structured. I got the evalina satchel in fudge. Is my 5th mulberry, but I use them everyday and they still look great - price per wear is negligible!

PenfoldRocks Sun 24-Feb-13 17:54:20

Oh - the listing on the purse forum of stock was pretty accurate, so worth a look maybe?

sunnyO Sun 24-Feb-13 20:23:10

Most I have spent on bag was 1,600 and it got stolen. So that was that.

The best way not to feel guilty about splurging out on a bag is to save every month - little by little. It's more satisfying that way.

sunnyO Sun 24-Feb-13 20:23:55

Would love a Hermes...

Who wouldn't? smile

Bramblesinafield Mon 25-Feb-13 11:14:08

I've just invested in the oak bayswater. Lovely. Smells gorgeous and glad to support uk workers. I phoned the factory outlet on delivery days for a few weeks, but no joy, so picked it up from selfridges. I asked them to get all their oak bayswaters out and chose the one I liked best - each slightly different.

I'm very pleased with it, and have sprayed it with the waterproofing spray.

JumpHerWho Mon 25-Feb-13 11:54:34

Brambles - Mulberry no longer make their bags in the UK, they've outsourced it to China...

Bramblesinafield Mon 25-Feb-13 11:56:12

Massive sigh. Thought they were made in Somerset (think it said up thread). It's still lovely.

DontmindifIdo Mon 25-Feb-13 12:12:01

Brambles and Jump - on the Mulberry website here (and Wikipedia) they still talk about the manufacturing taking place in Somerset, with a new factory just opened in Somerset.

I did, however find an article in the Guardian talking about Burberry having stuck "made in Britain" labels on things mainly made in China but then doing finishing touches (like buttons being added) in the UK and so allowing them to put "Made in Britian" on it. In that article (from last year), it mentioned that Mulberry was in the process of returning manufacturing back to the UK from China now they had opened their new factory, so it could be that it was a tempory thing before this new one in Somerset was opened.

Therefore it looks like older Mulberry was made in Britain, newer Mulberry has been made in Britain, there's a bit in the middle of a couple of years before their new factory opened where some styles were being made in Somerset and some in China. If you are buying now, you're buying Somerset. (It also looks like the move to the UK production coinsides with the prices going up)

suebfg Mon 25-Feb-13 12:16:35

I have a couple of Mulberry bags and frankly I wouldn't waste my money on any more. Any bag will eventually look tired, regardless of how much you spend on it, and you will get bored of the style.

Bramblesinafield Mon 25-Feb-13 12:27:38

That's good to read, don't mind. There's an interesting section on the ukfactory on their website. My grandad was a cobbler in northants many years ago, for Barker's shoes. I had some of the leather off cuts to play making stuff for my dolls with as a child. That lovely good leather smell brings back happy childhood memories!

ItsintheBag Mon 25-Feb-13 13:13:34

If money were no object I would love a Mulbery Del Ray. or Miu Miu leather tote.

MillieTom Mon 25-Feb-13 17:28:26

I just bought a mulberry and it was made in England. Just make sure you fully protect with waterproof spray.

I would use the money to go on holiday and purchase a £20 bag from NewLookgrin
Must admit i'm rather jealous of anyone that can throw away £800 on a bagshockenvy (not jel of the bag, just the availability/throwawayness to cash)

OneHundredSecondsofSolitude Mon 25-Feb-13 17:44:39

But a holiday is over and done with so quickly. A bag will last forever

ooo a chanel I'd love one. who's dd was it saved for one? I'm vv jealous.
we all earn our cash right, so can spend it anyway we want. glad I didn't get much response over my wedding shoe dilemma in December. I saved £1200 for them which I was fully prepared to spend the lot. in the end after a trip to London and trying on several pairs I settled on 400 quid choos.
op there's soooo many bags I covet I'd have to try them all out in the shops before making a decision!

ItsintheBag Tue 26-Feb-13 08:07:57

I don't get the fuss either over spending money on a bag.A week in the sun would be wasted on me.I hate the sun and all those package resorts are my idea of hell.
Mulberry is my idea of heaven. smile

GoodtoBetter Tue 26-Feb-13 09:55:30

You can spend your money on anything you like, I'm just [shocked] that anyone has 800 quid to spend on something as frivolous as a bag, because I only earn 1200 euros a month. But then I'm not much interested in bags. I'm just surprised by how much money some people must have (and I really don't say that with a cat's bum face, honest).

GoodtoBetter Tue 26-Feb-13 09:56:25

Am also surprised how fucking UGLY some really expensive bags are!

buttercrumble Tue 26-Feb-13 10:13:43

I work really hard for very little money, and have saved for 18 months to buy a nice bag. I dont smoke , drink or go out all the time . A nice bag is my treat and ive worked really hard for it, so i cant wait to treat myself....

issimma Tue 26-Feb-13 12:23:31

enjoy - and let us know which one you go for grin

Southeastdweller Tue 26-Feb-13 18:04:29

Is there a Mulberry shop in York? If not I would take the day off work if possible and make a day of it in Leeds. Girly/solo lunch, taxi home, that kind of thing!

buttercrumble Tue 26-Feb-13 18:13:36

What a great idea . There is a mulberry outlet in york (almost certain i wouldnt get a bayswater from them) But more than happy to go for a day out in leeds to buy a new one. I didnt realise they had a mulberry shop in leeds smile

Southeastdweller Tue 26-Feb-13 18:17:57

Just seen that there's also a shop in York, but from what I recall when I walked past last year, the Leeds shop is a little bigger.

Insecure24 Tue 26-Feb-13 18:28:15

I spent £800 on a mulbs, OP and I love it. Your money, your choice. Enjoy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now