Anyone interested in a 'what we are buying'wearing' thread for those of us who love clothes but have a New Look/Dorothy Perkins/Primark/HM budget?

(627 Posts)
MimikosPanda Sat 02-Feb-13 21:03:27

I love following some blogs and I liked lurking on the AW threads but I can never afford the clothes, shoes and bags that are talked about. I love looking at different styles and then have the challenge of trying to find a cheaper look on the cheaper end of the high street. I'd love to hear what others are finding to give me some ideas.
One of the blogs I follow is doesmybumlook40.blogspot.co.uk, I love Kat's style and whilst she has the odd bit from Primark or H&M there is a lot of Toast, Massimo Dutti, Jigsaw, Whistles and these are just too expensive for me.
So, does anyone fancy sharing tips on good finds on the budget highstreet?

MimikosPanda Mon 11-Feb-13 12:36:34

I'm still in PJs, so might have to come back on later to update what I'm wearing today. But currently:

Plaid PJs - Debenhams (from DH at xmas)
Vests - As per usual
Burgundy SoulCal hoodie - Republic (Jan sales 2012)
Fugg slipper boots - M&S circa 2009!

Doshusallie Mon 11-Feb-13 13:06:04

Distressed blue jeans from New Look
Brown short Uggs
Black long sleeved t-shirt from Primark
this jumper from New Look but mine has a bunny with ears on the front not a cat

MimikosPanda Mon 11-Feb-13 13:12:01

Dressed now, nothing exciting today. Just doing errands this afternoon so just jeans and jumper.

Indigo skinnies - DP
Grey drop shoulder knit jumper - H&M
Polka spot Scarf - Peacocks
Grey boots - Rieker

CointreauVersial Mon 11-Feb-13 13:19:35

At work (again!), wearing:

Grey fluffy angora roll-neck jumper (M&S, via charity shop)
Grey boot-cut trousers (New look, via charity shop)
Black heeled brogues (Clarks)
Silver Tiffany bracelet

We only have a couple of cms of snow, but that was enough to drive me to my cuddly jumper drawer this morning!

MimikosPanda Tue 12-Feb-13 08:14:50

Today I'm going to try out my boyfriend jeans, need to find my belt though because they are a bit big. Will come back later to report on if they looked half decent or not!

Roopoo Tue 12-Feb-13 09:06:15

Today am wearing
Black dress with flowers - yrs old Matalan
Leggings
Black cardi
Hair in bun with fake flowers stuck in to jazz up boring outfit!

Im off to Primark on Thursday with no kids smile what should I be looking out for????

freddiefrog Tue 12-Feb-13 09:16:39

I'm planning a trip to our 'big town' and a visit to Primark the end of next week as well, anything exciting in there at the minute?

Today
Dark blue skinnies - good old H&M
Long white vest top - Matalan
Fine knitted pink jumper with lace skull - TK Maxx
Ash Thelma
Dark brown coat - massive sale bargain from a Barbour factory outlet shop

Ashoething Tue 12-Feb-13 09:43:19

Tuesay-I am wearing-

Navy blue pearl lowe for peacocks tile print dress
navy blue crochet style tights-new look
tan calf boots-again!-new look
bird pendent necklace-primark
blue military style coat-new look

Hair is needing a good wash so will disguise this by doing victory rolls and may shove a flower or butterfly clip in it just to hide the grease!

Kyrptonite Tue 12-Feb-13 09:45:27

Finally! A fashion on a budget thread. Marking place to read later grin

Roopoo--I actually really rate the underwear at Primark. Their unpadded bras are brilliant and give you a great shape (although the sizing can be a bit funny. Definitely try on in-store first. The padded bras are a bit meh and quality is far lower).

Today, I'm wearing:

Slouchy blackcurrant & black stripe jumper from Next
Stonewashed denim miniskirt from Uniqlo
Black opaques and grey ankle boots

I also had a bit of luck in a charity shop earlier; picked up a lovely pair of tailored charcoal trousers and a tight-fit black sweater with sequinned stars, both from Next. I can't wait to try the sweater with leather shorts...

MimikosPanda Tue 12-Feb-13 12:31:18

Just popped on the link to Dorothy Perkins, I've had an email and they are doing a '100 dresses £20 and under' and there are some bargains on there. So if you are looking for a dress check out Dorothy Perkins

Will come back on later to read and catch up properly.

Doshusallie Tue 12-Feb-13 13:00:50

Today -

Indigo skinnies, Primark
Black and cream striped breton top, H&M
Black with sparkly thread bat wing jumper, Primark

Lonelynessie Tue 12-Feb-13 13:03:01

Yay, I can finally join in a fashion thread smile My most recent purchase are these Zara boots in black. They are surprisingly comfy too, I wore them all day out shopping on the weekend and didn't have any painful feet issues grin

I really want some skinny leg kick flare jeans like this but I haven't had much luck with a high street version yet sad

Doshusallie Tue 12-Feb-13 13:09:21

I got some blue ones from New Look and some black ones from Next Lonely.

Ilovemyteddy Tue 12-Feb-13 13:52:14
Doshusallie Tue 12-Feb-13 14:06:08

Ilove they look fab. I do have ballet flats in every colour but blue though so really can't justify it!!!! sad

pudding25 Tue 12-Feb-13 14:35:55

Another great shop, if you have one near you, is Internationale. The stuff is mega cheap and good quality. Have bought loads of skinnies from there and all washed really well.

Engelsemama Tue 12-Feb-13 14:56:24

I picked up some lovely stuff from Sainsbury's last week that will be great for work.

Pair of nude heels for 14 pounds
Navy A line skirt (lined, top layer sort of broderie angalise) for 22 pounds
2 scoop necked tops in yellow and salmon (to go with heels and skirt) 6 pounds each ( reduced from 12)
Glam (for me) dress past the knees with asymetrical blue and white stripes and tie detail on one hip. really flattering. (22 pounds).

Can't find any of them to link on crappy TU website (except heels).

Going back now to catch up on thread and see what you've all been buying and covetting smile .

landofsoapandglory Tue 12-Feb-13 15:18:31

I came past Peacocks last night and they had a lovely navy and white, horizontal stripe blazer in the window. They had it with red skinny jeans, it looked really nice!

mrspolkadotty Tue 12-Feb-13 15:36:26

Today:

River Island dark wash skinny jeans
White vest top - Tesco
Navy & white breton top - Boden
Oversized navy cardi - Primark
Cream scarf with blue flowers - Primark or Peacocks, can't remember
Grey 'bailey button' Uggs

Finally caught up with Silent Witness last night on Sky+ and i am lusting after some Nikki-esque pieces for spring. I want a tweedy blazer, some heels that won't make me go arse over tit, new skinny jeans and some floaty tops. Anyone seen any nice stuff around??

It's my birthday next month and i'm planning a spending spree grin for some new togs once i stop eating Haribo and shift half a stone

CointreauVersial Tue 12-Feb-13 16:42:49

For work today, I wore:

Dark green tie-waist dress from Zara sale
Grey and black striped long merino cardi, from M&S, via charity shop
Grey opaque supersoft cotton tights (M&S Autograph - highly recommended, lovely grey marl colour and nice and cosy)
Long black wedge-heel boots from Next (ancient)

Back home now, and slumped on the sofa contemplating pancake-making, wearing:

Grey Gul hoody (which I like because it has my year of birth on it....1967...gulp)
Black Elle yoga trousers, ancient TKMaxx bargain.

Quite the glamour puss I am at home.grin

Doshusallie Tue 12-Feb-13 18:36:49

Landof that sounds lovely I wonder if it is online [goes to look]

Doshusallie Tue 12-Feb-13 18:42:30
landofsoapandglory Tue 12-Feb-13 18:57:37

Yes, that's the one Doshusallie.

PetronellaSterling Tue 12-Feb-13 20:22:09

Have a look at Avenue57.com. It's a newish site where women (rather than the terrifyingly beuaitful young and hip thangs that post on WIWT and similar) post what they're wearing, or ask for style advice etc. Seems pretty friendly as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now