Uggs - are they really that bad?

(276 Posts)

After a class war broke out on another completely unrelated thread, it came up that UGGs are considered a serious no-no on MN. I must confess to owning two pairs (one black and one brown) and as a WFHM I wear them all winter provided it is dry. They are the comfiest, warmest shoes I've ever had. They are like slippers but for outside! I don't wear them on the outside of my trousers, this is a look I don't like, but inside a boot leg I consider them harmless.

Am I deluding myself and walking around in the winter version of crocs?

notavoicelikeShirleyBasseys Wed 27-Feb-13 23:26:18

Agree with dexter

I actually have Boden skinny jeans if you're interested.

I look like a fat arsed twat in them, though grin

scottishmummy Mon 26-Nov-12 17:06:02

I'll pop into Taylor ferguson for wag hair, drawers for ugg boots and aff we go
me, you largeing it in our uggs and skinny jeans
yes, it's strangely compelling

I've a spare pair, size 6?

We could be like chezza n posh in our matching Kensingtons. Can Scottish footballers wives afford to be WAG's though? Maybe if they play for Sevco, fnar fnar

scottishmummy Mon 26-Nov-12 16:51:00

you know Kate,mebbe if I had to go incognito,I'd chose uggs and croydon facelift
as there no way In hell anyone who knows me would expect me in such attire
heehee I'm tempted by your offer, be a waggy mammy for the day.how delicious

C'mon scottish you aul moaner.

Come over to the Ugg dark side....

My taes are extremely cosy even efter 6 fag breaks during work today. And it's fucking freezing here today. I would sell DH before my (non-slipperlike) Uggs...

You know you wanna.......... hehehehehe

linoleum Sun 25-Nov-12 20:06:27

I couldn't care less whether aussies laugh at me for wearing them outdoors. More fool them for limiting the usefulness of such a versatile item of footwear. I love them, they are warm and comfortable and I don't care what anyone on MN thinks of them!!

TheFallenMadonna Sun 25-Nov-12 18:37:06

On a recent non uniform day, there were a number of girls in onesies and uggs. It wasn't pretty.

dexter73 Sun 25-Nov-12 18:22:47

I spray them with waterproofing spray so they keep water out. I do this with my leather shoes too as they aren't waterproof either.

Seriously, material shoes that are made for the winter but don't hold out the water? That also make you walk like you have deformed feet.

If you own UGGS for fashion reasons then you need to have a word with yourself grin

missmartha Sun 25-Nov-12 18:11:34

Uggs are like Converse, they're not a fashion item, they just 'are'.

They're warm and comfortable and they were first worn by Ozzie surfers on the beach.

Weird but true. I think they claimed their feet got cold after being in the sea for ages.
Anyway, I can certainly remember them being worn on the beach in Australia in the 1970s.

Love my Uggs but never think of them as a fashion item.

cheapandchic Sun 25-Nov-12 17:53:23

Love my uggs. always have since first discovering them for after hitting the ski slopes.

They are not fashion at all, but they serve a great purpose of warm and comfortable.

Crocs on the other hand....I deplore for anyone over the age of 10. They are hideous and what is their purpose? Waterproof? Then please wear wellies or flip flops (havainas)

Please stop wearing crocs ladies.

prettybird Sun 25-Nov-12 16:19:17

With a tread like this - definitely designed to be worn outside!

DappyHays Sun 25-Nov-12 16:03:55

Sheepskin Uggs are slippers. They were never meant to be outdoor wear.

Aussies laugh at Brits who wear Uggs out and about.

prettybird Sun 25-Nov-12 15:44:58

I wear my Ugg Canterbury Sheepskin boots to go to the supermarket under my bootleg jeans blush

Nowhere else though, except for around the house where they are the warmest things imaginable.

BTW: I bought dh some boots from Celtic Sheepskin after his original Australian ones (brought back by my parents) finally disintegrated. They're not as dense a fur as my Canterbury Sheepskin (New Zealand) ones - and I was thne pissed off to find out that my parents had ordered them from NZ and they were still cheaper than the Celtic Sheepskin ones. confused

scottishmummy Sun 25-Nov-12 12:23:19

yay Santa in a juicy velour trackie with juicy across his bahookie
wearing uggs
and long johns

rosiesmartypants Sun 25-Nov-12 02:49:43

LOVE my Uggs....great for standing at the station on a cold winters morning, and getting to work without frost-bitten toes grin

mathanxiety Sun 25-Nov-12 02:44:58

Poor old Ronnie looks like a strangely wizened teenage girl in that getup.

mathanxiety Sun 25-Nov-12 02:40:05

Yes they are. Gloriously so.

Yes Bedmonster (well most styles are, my wool ones just on the insole) When the insoles get flattened down I buy new ones from Amazon for about £3.

bedmonster Sat 24-Nov-12 23:26:34

Hang on, v important and quick Ugg question - are they fluffy ALL the way inside? Like, all the way to your toes? confused

dexter73 Sat 24-Nov-12 21:42:06

I was joking about Ronnie Wood being a babe - Ryan Gosling is more my cup of tea than the elderly raisin RW!!

squoosh Sat 24-Nov-12 20:55:59

forgiving waistband

squoosh Sat 24-Nov-12 20:55:42

He is a fat old fucker I suppose, the velour Juicy Couture helps with all those slices of Christmas cake he scoffs.

scottishmummy Sat 24-Nov-12 20:48:51

well santas jolly ole man,so I can forgive fashion faux pas
I mean he wears fur trimmed red track suit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now