Uggs - are they really that bad?

(276 Posts)

After a class war broke out on another completely unrelated thread, it came up that UGGs are considered a serious no-no on MN. I must confess to owning two pairs (one black and one brown) and as a WFHM I wear them all winter provided it is dry. They are the comfiest, warmest shoes I've ever had. They are like slippers but for outside! I don't wear them on the outside of my trousers, this is a look I don't like, but inside a boot leg I consider them harmless.

Am I deluding myself and walking around in the winter version of crocs?

I hate Crocs. I have a cheapo nasty pair from Aldi but I still hate them. They are great for the garden and nipping to my freezer in the shed. However they are death traps in the house. Anyone notice how you'll be walking along and all of a sudden your croc will stick to the floor randomly and send you flying?

polyhymnia Thu 22-Nov-12 11:33:32

Don't have Uggs but have two pairs of the Ugg-alike version of Fitflop boots which are incredibly comfortable - and some people might think even less stylish than Uggs.

Was in the Ugg store at Piccadilly Circus yesterday and they have a pretty wide selection of boots (bikers, etc). , not just the 'classic' Ugg ones. Some shoes too. Must say I fancied several of them, but they are quite ££. Luckily I didn't have time to try them and be tempted.

oohlaalaa Thu 22-Nov-12 11:40:47

I like Uggs on small feet. My friend with size 3 feet, wears them all winter, and they look lovely. I look ridiculous with my size 8 feet, they make feet look like a size 10.

I do think they are overpriced, and you are paying for the status symbol. Sorry.

dexter73 Thu 22-Nov-12 11:49:49

Oh dear I can now add ridiculous looking feet to my list of MN faux pas!

I love my Uggs, they are the comfiest boots I've ever had! At the risk of hijacking the thread (sorry OP blush) have any of you fellow Kensington wearers had a problem with them leaking?, this is my second winter in them but now I've started to get wet feet when it pours down, have you all been sensible (unlike me) and used a protector spray? Or are there hoards of women with comfy yet soggy feet walking around? grin

LadyMaryChristmas Thu 22-Nov-12 13:04:24

I have some Emu (the same as Uggs, slightly cheaper though) and have just bought some Dr Martens. The Emu/Uggs don't really support your feet very well, and the snow/water did damage them (despite the waterproof spray). I'm in love with my Dr Martens at the moment. blush

allinagoodcause Thu 22-Nov-12 13:29:38

Can I suggest Sorrels - love my kate the greats. So ugly they are cool. Also extremely practical as they are 100per cent waterproof and warm up to -30. Uggs are chavvy in my opinion although I will wear them when camping - and crocs! but only when camping.(blush)

dexter73 Thu 22-Nov-12 13:40:10

What do people actually mean by chavvy? Can I have a definition?

polyhymnia Thu 22-Nov-12 13:41:21

The Fitflops do support the feet well have never leaked and are also remarkably unstained despite having been worn in rain slush etc

I want some Kensingtons. May have to sell a kidney or something first though.

QuickLookBusy Thu 22-Nov-12 14:09:01

ThePieSmuggler I have Kensingtons and they are on their third year, they still look like new.

I have always used a protective spray so have never had a problem with soggy feet.

If I were you, I'd let them completely dry out then spray them, hopefully that will work.

Well, obviously it's upto you what you wear/don't wear. I personally don't like Uggs but I wouldn't not wear something because of strangers on an internet forum.

AnnieMated Thu 22-Nov-12 14:42:36

If you like them, wear them. If you don't, don't.

wishingchair Thu 22-Nov-12 15:00:38

I have Uggs that I now wear as slippers, and Celtic Aqualambs for outside which are fab as they're waterproof (and just more robust than Uggs).

Lovely toasty warm feet whatever the weather. And when I'm walking the dog, or standing shivering in a playground, that's what I want.

jenbird Thu 22-Nov-12 15:12:32

I love my Uggs. I have bought cheaper ones before but they just don't hold their shape. I have a new pair every year as I wear them to death. They are just so warm and comfy.

NotAChocolateRaisin Thu 22-Nov-12 16:43:01

What's this? I'm not allowed to wear patterned tights because they are odd?!

(Oh, I hate UGG boots, not because of a stereotype but they look plain and bulky to me)

mathanxiety Thu 22-Nov-12 16:58:25

I love them. They are a sturdy indefensible, as Winston Churchill once said about something else entirely.

(YYY to suede spray, and I drive in my Uggs)

Vaginald Thu 22-Nov-12 17:09:45

[[ http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0041K4ZQ0/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?creative=22134&creativeASIN=B0041K4ZQ0&linkCode=asn&ref_=asc_df_B0041K4ZQ010693356&tag=googlecouk06-21 like uggs but much cheaper! ]]

Vaginald Thu 22-Nov-12 17:10:07
nowahousewife Thu 22-Nov-12 17:15:25

Only wear my Uggs around the house as slippers, wearing them right now infact! wouldn't be without them but have an aversion to them in public - only on me not on others I hasten to add.

AThingInYourLife Thu 22-Nov-12 17:17:07

"don't see how they can be chavvy if they are soooo expensive?!"

grin

IsabelleRinging Thu 22-Nov-12 17:42:31

Uggs look bad enough, but with bootlegs??? shock grin

Even Ugg have realized that they are ugly and a thing soon to be fashion history (for now anyway) and most of the styles made by Ugg are a bit more structured now and actually quite stylish!

I have 2 pairs of Kensingtons and I love them.

Have been wearing them this season with woolly tights, A line above knee skirts and even if I say so myself am lookin gooooooood.

And they are foot-heaven.

Team Ugg

JulesJules Thu 22-Nov-12 17:51:44

I love my Celtic sheepskin boots, my daughters have them and they are beautiful and very hardwearing.

stickygotstuck Thu 22-Nov-12 17:57:05

I tend to wear whatever I see fit and fashion is something I've heard about in films and stuff grin, but here's my contribution anyway -

I have a pair of Ugg-looking slippers from M&S. So warm and bear-like - love them.

But I'd never ever wear Uggs outdoors. I think of them as overpriced slippers - the sole is way too soft and they are not waterproof.

Plus I would find them terribly uncomfortable to actually stride (as I do) in outdoors.

Am I the only one who thinks they are uncomfortable??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now