How would you accessorize this lovely dress - help please

(59 Posts)
Monty100 Fri 16-Jul-10 12:20:45

I'm wearing this to a wedding in September.

I need ideas on what to wear with it, or how to wear it as I'm no spring chicken. shock

What shoes/bag?

I love a hat, what hat?? No hat?? (I have shortish hair).

Jewellery? I'm thinking just nice silvery earrings.

I'm also wondering about tights. I don't think bare legged is appropriate for a wedding (plus it might be chilly).

HELP! TIA. smile

notyummy Fri 16-Jul-10 12:24:31

Nude heels. Be useful to find out if you are in a field with a marquee because wedges would be the forward then. Sheer tights- possibly the barely there type that give your legs a sheen.

cybilliberty Fri 16-Jul-10 12:31:07

I woudl forgo the hat

maybe a blazer type thing over the top? its a tricky one actually

Monty100 Fri 16-Jul-10 12:32:20

NY - thanks. I like your suggestions. smile

I don't think I'll be in a field, well I'm not planning to be anyway grin.

Hat? See, I love a hat, but I don't see one with this dress ifyswim.

Monty100 Fri 16-Jul-10 12:34:18

CL - Thank you. I wasn't thinking of wearing anything over it tbh.

I thought I was sorted with this dress, but I think it is a bit tricky after all.

muddleduck Fri 16-Jul-10 12:54:04

I think a fabulous sparkly bag is the key.

definitely no hat and just small earrings.

cybilliberty Fri 16-Jul-10 12:56:43

scroll down to the woman wearing the cream lace short dress and the longer jacket and heels not saying you should copy exactly what she is wearing but I think the proportions work really well. A closed toe shoe would work with tights and a clutch. keep it simple

Monty100 Fri 16-Jul-10 15:01:48

DM - yes, that sounds like a good way to go.

CL - That is a great look, don't see how I could pull it off with this one though. Mmmm.

Thanks again. smile

moragbellingham Fri 16-Jul-10 15:27:40
moragbellingham Fri 16-Jul-10 15:30:04

Sorry, just seen that they are made from "other materials" and would definitely earn the name of killer heels by the end of the day!

moragbellingham Fri 16-Jul-10 15:33:29
moragbellingham Fri 16-Jul-10 15:35:22
FellatioNelson Fri 16-Jul-10 15:58:44

Beautiful dress BTW. How about a white or crem/silver fascinator? They are much better with short hair than hats. Tights difficult - plain black may be a bit heavy/funereal for a wedding - what about white opaques? Or patterned? Or just beigey flesh colour would be better than black I think. Ditto the shoes - try to find some that don't look too 'heavy' for the occasion. Maybe silver?

cybilliberty Fri 16-Jul-10 17:03:56

NO NO NO to fascinator

too 'fat bird at Aintree'

FellatioNelson Fri 16-Jul-10 17:21:48

Have fascinators been reduced to fat bird at Aintree level totally now then?confused I soppose they must have, as they sell them in Matalan now!

FellatioNelson Fri 16-Jul-10 17:23:00

Ooh! got it! The dress has a late 60's early 70's vibe, so what about a funky little beret with a sparkly brooch on? Tres chic.

lou33 Fri 16-Jul-10 17:54:34

i would go for a jacket of a similar length, high heels, lay off jewellery as the neckline is enough

i think that dress does not need much accessorising at all, definitely not a hat

i would keep hair quite casual and understated

nude glossy lips and heavier eye make up too

FellatioNelson Fri 16-Jul-10 18:04:42

Agree no jewellery.

piprabbit Fri 16-Jul-10 18:12:09

I like fellatio's beret idea. There's definitly something a little retro going on with the dress.
Emma at Sakura Designs makes lovely little hats which may appeal to you - and she'll will tailor the design to fit your ideas. Some of the little jewelled skull caps could work with this dress.

Monty100 Fri 16-Jul-10 18:14:13

Thanks everybody. Those shoes are all lovely.

Lol - I think I'd better step away from the fascinator.

Lou - ,waves> have you any ideas on a jacket that would do the trick though? I think I might be complicating matters if I start looking at jackets although I love that look that CL linked to above.

What about a creamy white georgette-y sort of pashmina thing? The wedding is the first week in September so I'm hoping it'll be still be warm.

I agree with keeping it simple, although I've been online looking at silvery/glittery shoes and bags (but funky, not as in mother of bride lol), and I spotted a gorgeous clumpy glittery ring in Miss Selfridge for £5.99 earlier grin. But definitely won't be doing bangles or necklaces.

FN - I love the idea of the 70's vibe beret look, but for a wedding?? Not sure.

Thanks again for your help everybody. smile

FellatioNelson Fri 16-Jul-10 18:15:32

Yes!!! Clumpy silvery ring would be perfect!

Monty100 Fri 16-Jul-10 18:16:22

I should have said sparkly shoes and bag as with Muddleduck's post, not silvery/glittery lol.

lou33 Fri 16-Jul-10 18:19:21

big ring would be ok yes, just nothing too close to the neckline

i just looked at the link with the cream dress, i like that style

i think anything too fitted would look wrong

possibly some kind of wrap, but they are not my thing

failing that just send the dress to me and find something else grin

FellatioNelson Fri 16-Jul-10 18:24:55

I don't think it needs anything TBH. A same length cream coat, if anything at all, but it could look a bit Camilla. Might be ageing, and the dress is really funky.

Monty100 Fri 16-Jul-10 18:31:20

Lol, I must get with it, SPARKLY, is the way we're going I think. I'm going to get that ring, it was really lovely.

Fellatio - I think I might spoil it with a jacket too. I don't think I'd get it just right. <fussy emoticon>

Lou - you're welcome to borrow it, however, I feel it might be at least one size too big for you. smile

<goes off to look at more sparkly bags and shoes>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now