This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED What are you watching at the moment? Tell TalkTalk and win a £200 Love2Shop voucher

(200 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 18-Feb-13 16:48:59

TalkTalk want to hear your recommendations for TV programmes and boxsets that you or your children have been gripped by recently. They've just launched YouView which should make it easier to catch the best bits of recent telly as well as old classics. Here's what they say about it:

"YouView is a groundbreaking new TV service now available to all TalkTalk customers. We have joined forces with the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 to create a new way of watching TV. YouView allows access to the best On Demand content, an ability to record and rewind live TV and search through thousands of hours of great TV with ease. This month's TV gift from TalkTalk includes some old favourites like Grey's Anatomy, The Tudors, and Friends, as well as Peppa Pig, Bob the Builder and Pingu for the DCs."

What's the best TV series you've ever watched?

Is there anything on at the moment/has there been anything recently that you're particularly glued to?

Are there any programmes you're using this half term to keep your DCs entertained?

Please share any recommendations you have for can't miss shows. Everyone who posts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £200 Love2Shop voucher.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

I tend to record stuff on my PVR and watch it at least a day later but at an earlier time (early bird DCs, no late nights here!)
We are reluctant to fork out for YouView, having been stung by FetchTV (bought a PVR, then the company was bought out and seems to be being run into the ground). We'll wait until the price comes down a lot.
Watching at the moment:
Africa
Dan Snow's Railway Journey's
Inventions of Britain
How I met your Mother
Top Gear (11yo DS, Nuff saidgrin)
Six Nations Rugby

Tee2072 Tue 19-Feb-13 14:48:49

Cynical alert: they are recreating what LoveFilm already does?

Because I am currently watching Grey's Anatomy on there.

Also watching, on DVD:

West Wing
Classic Loony Tunes (Cutest thing ever? Preschooler going around saying 'I thought I saw a putty tat! I did, I did!')
Farscape

threepiecesuite Tue 19-Feb-13 14:51:56

Recently, we've enjoyed Call the Midwife and Utopia. I like BBCThree for light entertainment too, Don't Tell the Bride, People Like Us etc.

DD is 3 and loves anything on NickJr, particularly Bubble Guppies and Team UmiZoomi.

choccyp1g Tue 19-Feb-13 14:55:13

Peguins. monday night series with "penguin-cam" "egg-cam" "chick-cam"
A camera inside a toy penguin films close ups.
It's totally compelling, and has David Tennant voice-over.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Tue 19-Feb-13 14:55:21

I'm loving 'Mr Selfrifge', 'Black Mirror' and 'the Reunion' right now. My son who's 4yrs old loves 'Mike the knight', 'Tree-fu-Tom', 'Mister maker' and 'Peppa Pig'. My daughter who's 2yrs old loves 'Peppa Pig' and 'in the night garden'.

My all time favourite ever series and box set is The West Wing.
I'm currently enjoying Suits, loved the Game Of Thrones adaptation.
Sons of Anarchy is DH' s latest addiction.
We like to watch QI together.

DD is only 2 but already addicted to Peppa Pig. We've recently managed to mix in Curious George to save our sanity.
She was also quite keen on the Bagpuss DVD, but not at all taken with The Flumps.

Whirliwig72 Tue 19-Feb-13 14:59:50

Started working my way through Spooks just after Xmas. On the final series now and looking for a good crime/spy/legal drama series to reach for when I'm through. I also love Jonathan Creek - wish they'd make more and Cold Feet (wish they'd have a reunion).

Ds's love Thomas, Dip Dab, Abney and Teal and Show me Show me.

ouryve Tue 19-Feb-13 15:06:39

Having CBeebies and CBBC on their own continual loops seems to work for my two. Anything else interrupts more enjoyable activities, such as building complex lego Technic trucks.

Nothing with a storyline that requires any actual effort to watch has taken our (grown ups') fancy, lately, though we've been hugely entertained by the penguins on BBC1 and, of course, Wonders of Life.

ArcticRoll Tue 19-Feb-13 15:07:16

Best tv series The Sopranos
Currently watching Nashville
Call the Midwife
Modern Family
The Middle
My daughter is watching Glee along with Modern Family and The Middle with me.

gazzalw Tue 19-Feb-13 15:08:19

Black Mirror, Ripper Street, Utopia And Silent Witness for the grown ups. We also loved Spooks, Luther, Waking The Dead, Downton Abbey, Upstairs Downstairs and any good thrillers or drama series.

Miranda, Outnumbered, Call The Midwife and The Dumping Ground for DS (12).

DD (7) really likes a lot of the retro 1980s/90s films that she's never seen before - we watched Short Circuit (on DVD) at the weekend, have recently caught ET, Goonies and Ghostbusters on TV. She also loves any/all of the Tracy Beaker series, Dr Who and has nostalgia for some of the CBeebies series of her toddlerdom (Higgledly House, The Tweenies, Something Special, 64 Zoo Lane and Pingu). She's also fond of Scooby Doo (as indeed we all are, because it's not changed, plot-wise in forty years or so although not keen on the romantic aspects that seem to have crept into recent episodes) [grin}!

eminemmerdale Tue 19-Feb-13 15:17:40

Coronation Street blush
OBEm
Call the Midwife
Loved:
Crickley Hall
Undateables
Marchlands (sequel coming soon - squueeee!)
Good Man-Alive/Panorama type documentaries
Ds loves Top Gear...

Kveta Tue 19-Feb-13 15:39:04

we tend to watch boxsets of comedy mostly. The only tv I watch is Call the Midwife, Big Bang Theory, and the new Charlie Brooker series.

Modern Family is our favourite box set at the moment, although DH is getting the IT crowd and 15 storeys high boxsets for his birthday tomorrow!

DS loves pretty much anything on CBeebies or Milkshake, and DD is too young to watch tv or proffer an opinion really!

notforthefainthearted Tue 19-Feb-13 15:47:43

We love Modern Family too. Also The Following, Supernatural, Revolution. Absolutely adored House. Loved Life On Mars.

Also love Pointless, QI, 8 out of 10 Cats.

We also watch Being Human, Call the Midwife, Dancing on Ice, Wonders (Prof. Brian Cox - and anything he does!), David Attenborough's Africa and any programme like that.

flamingtoaster Tue 19-Feb-13 15:48:26

Call the Midwife, One Born Every Minute, QI, Mock the Week, Have I Got News for You, 8 out of 10 Cats, Big Bang Theory. Loved Miranda. Our favourite Box Set is West Wing.

notforthefainthearted Tue 19-Feb-13 15:49:20

Totally agree about more Cold Feet and Jonathan Creek.

We have very restricted television viewing, absolutely no children's programmes at all. If the TV is on it's usually something to do with dance or a documentary.

When she is older, I am looking forward to introducing DD to the Young Ones, the Goodies, Red Dwarf, Being Human and maybe a bit of Glee as a guilty pleasure.

firawla Tue 19-Feb-13 15:55:46

at the moment we are mainly watching house box sets, and when we finish that we will be starting breaking bad cos a few people have recommended

dcs mainly like anything on nick jr or cbeebies

CMOTDibbler Tue 19-Feb-13 16:00:41

ATM, my things set to record are Stella, Common Ground, and The Last Leg.

The last thing I was glued to though was Haven - even if I was more confused at the season end than before.

DS is addicted to Scooby Doo and Blue Planet

smokinaces Tue 19-Feb-13 16:07:06

At the moment I have to say Mrs Browns Boys. I know its fresh in my head, and comedy not drama, but to me every episode was good as opposed to some which have 1 or 2 a series leaving you a bit meh.

Is there anything on at the moment/has there been anything recently that you're particularly glued to?
Planner is mainly me - Greys, Silent Witness (though just finished), trying to get into The Following, Stella.

Are there any programmes you're using this half term to keep your DCs entertained?
Tom and Jerry, Scooby Doo. They like the classics which is good. Short and sweet ones, whilst they do other things.

glitch Tue 19-Feb-13 16:14:17

I am a bit addicted to things like Americas Next Top Model, So You Think You Can Dance, Project Runway which someone on here kindly showed me how to find online.
On normal TV I like Silent Witness, Great British Bake Off, One Born Every Minute.
My DS loves Power Rangers, Mia Mao, Thomas, Fireman Sam, Scooby Doo.

I was totally gripped by Lost and will always have fond memories of Tenko.

trice Tue 19-Feb-13 16:14:52

I am loving Black Mirror, dd likes spy in the huddle and ds is watching Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go. Dh is on series five of Andromeda which I find completely unwatchable.

insertsomethingwitty Tue 19-Feb-13 16:18:03

I loved The West Wing, 24 and Prison Break. Currently working our way through Grey's Anatomy at the moment which is also fabulous.

FreelanceMama Tue 19-Feb-13 16:20:15

Bit confused as to how this is different to TV On Demand from BT Vision but anyway...

If I answer that based on what I watched on TV and then bought and watched repeatedly ... The West Wing and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I was mad about Dynasty and The Colbys when I was too young to know any better.

Nearly all the TV I watch is through On Demand so that would be The Mentalist Season 4 at the moment. I'm also a sucker for the Great British BakeOff and Strictly Come Dancing.

Our son is only 1 so he doesn't watch any TV.

BoysWillGrow Tue 19-Feb-13 16:26:24

Erm...
8 out of 10 cats,
Ben and Hollys Little Kingdom
Peppa Pig
Qi
Eastenders
Corrie
The Regular Show (kids cartoon which is hilarious blush )
Made in Chelsea

Thinking we might watch too much tv now, but these are our faves.

ShoutyHead Tue 19-Feb-13 16:43:00

I have watched every episode of

Oz
The Sopranos
Las Vegas
Entourage
Friends
Sex and the City
Downton Abbey

On a similar catch up service. I love the flexibility of being able to watch at any time and not having to wait a week for the next episode

I would love to see The Killing and other similar series on a catch up service.
What I would also love to see on there are slightly older series like

My So Called Life
Soldier Soldier
Londons Burning
Seinfeld
Frasier
LA Law

Kids stuff I would love American series like

Sesame Street
Fraggle Rock

And some retro series like

Button moon
Bagpuss

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now