Deletions etc

(271 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 30-May-12 19:50:49

So we've had a get together at MNHQ and we have come up with the following set of actions/proposals, following on from the previous thread:

1. We will make more effort to be communicative and transparent. This will include the MNHQ duty person posting on the boards more to explain a deletion of a post or a thread and providing more info in cases where we have banned or suspended someone for trolling, so folks know that we are "doing something". We will also try to provide more specific message deleted info - ie more than just because it "breaks talks guidelines" (eg because it perpetuates rape myths etc) (NB this will take a bit of time because it involves tech)

2. We will aim to be quicker to delete threads that have been or seem to have been started purely to inflame/goad, even if it means we occasionally might make a mistake. This is to avoid the goady threads where an OP is deliberately inflaming, leading to a lot of deleted responses. We will also suspend those who we suspect of being out to deliberately goad and make sure our guidelines reflect this.

3. We will aim for a lighter touch approach to deletions where discussion is robust but lively and interesting and "attacks" are borderline/very slight/ 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

4. We will make sure everyone at MNHQ is aware of looking at the bigger picture - not just focus on the reported post - and is clear on what constitutes a personal attack - ie that it's ok to attack an opinion, not ok to attack a poster.

5. Our policy on trollhunting remains not to tolerate it - so please don't do it, but please do report suspicions to us. That said, we will try to be more communicative on threads where folks suspect a troll - ie we are aware that some people have expressed doubts and we are looking into it/ we have checked this out and have no reason to believe this person is a troll/ we agree this person is not what they seem and have deleted the thread.

6. We will hold regular chats/q&as about moderation issues and policy - monthlyish? - where we can have a good debate about any particular bugbear or issue and one of us will discuss policy and why we do what we do...

Out of interest we've checked the deletions thing and surprisingly the number of deleted messages seems to have dropped not risen year on year - even though traffic is up by more than 40%
(these include messages deleted from deleted threads - so one long thread = 1000 deletions)

Jan 1st 2011 to May 29th 2011: 81884 messages
Jan 1st 2012 to May 29th 2012: 72037 messages

Nonetheless we think people have raised some good points and we hope all trying the above will make the board better - if not we'll try something else smile - thanks for all the input.

Please do post your thoughts/observations (disclaimer - I'm off out shortly so won't be around to respond tonight but will be back tomorrow)

BIWItheBold Thu 31-May-12 06:28:15

hmm Not very fair to name names, is it?

PrincessPinot Thu 31-May-12 07:33:51

Agree with BIWI, as per.

Not cricket, is it?

Maryz Thu 31-May-12 08:03:41

Hey, come on, I like Sandy - I remember when Olivia was new they always left her on duty on bunfight nights. I remember thinking, omg she is always left with shitty jobs. Every time the shit hit the fan on a Friday night, there would Olivia be trying to stop the place falling apart and getting moans from all sides.

I suspect that when you are new you get the late night duty, and being new you have to err on the side of caution. Whereas the hq-ers who have been there since the dawn of time have a little more leeway.

BIWItheBold Thu 31-May-12 08:23:54

And look what happened to Olivia. <shakes head sadly>

We broke her.

Hullygully Thu 31-May-12 08:45:11

Olivia? Has she gorn?

Thumbwitch Thu 31-May-12 08:52:30

Olivia is still here, isn't she? I just thought they were referring to her need for gin... grin

Hullygully Thu 31-May-12 08:56:24

oh good

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 31-May-12 09:06:30

Olivia is still very much here, thankfully.

Hullygully Thu 31-May-12 09:07:00

<waves to Olivia>

<and Rebecca>

Olivia kept procreating to get away from us.

We're so horrible we force the HQ'ers to endure babies sad

Hullygully Thu 31-May-12 09:09:45

Olivia, you haven't had the sex AGAIN, have you?

She promised she stop and stick around now Hully, although to be on the safe side you might want to "fix" MrOlivia.

Hullygully Thu 31-May-12 09:14:07

I could do that.

KatieMiddleton Thu 31-May-12 09:14:20

Ah I knew if I went off and did RL you'd get it all sorted smile <- smiley smiley (not pa at all)

Can I just add re the locking threads business, would it be possible to do it do only those with at least a month's membership of a minimum posting history would count? Otherwise there is the potential for invasions to lock the boards. I know MNHQ has done things like suspending registration at times for politically sensitive stuff so I imagine they could do something creative and techy to fix that potential problem.

Can you put a little green troll face at the top of all threads? Then we can click if concerned and hq know we think it's the whole thread that's off rather than an errant post or somebody trolling a perfectly reasonable thread causing it to become locked?

Any hoo, nice to know we're being listened to.

Maryz Thu 31-May-12 09:15:19

Olivia is still here, but she's come over to the daaaaaaaaaaaaaark side.

Mwah-ha-haaaaaaaaaaaa

Maryz Thu 31-May-12 09:17:36

Whereas Helen and Rebecca are the stern headmistressy types (who have hearts of gold underneath rapidly backtracks )

grin

Anne seems to be the organised one, who asks sensible questions and does spreadsheets and the like.

Rowan is rapidly turning into Olivia.

Who else have I missed out? I miss Darren and DamianTech, they didn't last long sad was it because they were Menz?

Maryz Thu 31-May-12 09:18:16

Good points Katie.

get0rfm0iland Thu 31-May-12 09:20:56

Thanks very much Justine - that is a really measured response.

I do appreciate the way MN does take views of its members seriously. You could very easily tell us to all piss off - we on this thread are a minority of the users on MN (albeit a rather vocal minority).

And thanks for reassuring us that the apparent changes are not as a result of any commercial influence. I am aware that MN is a successful brand and thought it would have been quite likely for MN to take a view to restrict the fucks and buggers if advertisers requested it. I am glad that is not the case though.

get0rfm0iland Thu 31-May-12 09:23:13

On my thread last week Rowan very kindly took the time to post a very intelligent and thoughtful post about the troll hunting/deletions topic last week - I don't know if I thanked her (if not, thanks very much for tha tRowan).

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 31-May-12 09:41:45

Aw, thanks Get0rf (what's with all the zeros?)

Hullygully Thu 31-May-12 09:43:19

Ahhhhh. It's becoming a love-in.

<hands round pipe of peace. Has a big toke. Falls over>

get0rfm0iland Thu 31-May-12 09:48:55

I sometimes change my name and add zeroes in places. I am not entirely sure why.

<lives life in the fast lane>

grin

BIWItheBold Thu 31-May-12 09:58:47

You watch out, Rowan, we'll break you soon as well ...

grin

Hullygully Thu 31-May-12 10:04:26

<hits Biwi over the noddle with the peace pipe>

MrsVamos Thu 31-May-12 10:48:36

Just wanted to add my thanks too, Justine. thanks

<also provides a pac-a-mac in case of rain>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now